Why I choose Cabela's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Why I choose Cabela's

Post by madman4570 »

Ok gents,
Here is an example(of a first rate quality Company)

First off-----Always (except this one time)these guys have really got their act together.
So, last week(think it was Wed.) I ordered some Federal Truball "Low Recoil" slugs(5 boxes) from them.

Plus,I got talked into a hat/and a barrel oil plug too(actually really good deal/am happy)

The guy I talked to (from what I gathered)recently got hired(nice Kid)talked about 20mins(he heard my dog bark)his dad has a Lab and he went on from there :lol:(he asked what kind of dog)???

Today, I am sitting here(thinking boy my box s/b here by now)usually is within a few days etc.
I make a call to them(they said it was delivered Tues.(left on the porch)????
Not here!
The Lady said----check again if not(WE WILL SEND NEW ORDER FREE) you don't have to monkey around asking neighbors etc. :shock:

So, I look---(nope) then think ---could that UPS yahoo guy have left it on my Cabins porch(I have a cabin when you pull in my driveway.(kinda nice)like what the Beverly Hillbilly's had on their show! :lol: (where me and Charlie go when drinking moonshine and/or are bad!

Walk down----Yep(there she be)sitting on the sitting bench. (call the fine lady back,saying got box)
She said---she fixed any future deliveries with instruction "drive farther up driveway/past cabin)
Go out on patio/got nice cup hot coffee open box---(yep,nice hat/nice oil barrel plug/5 boxes ammo sealed REALLY good)open it (5 boxes of 1600fps stuff not 1300fps stuff)need low recoil.
Remember now--this is for daughter to use for Hunter Safety class(and heck if she loves it--maybe deer???)

Call them back(sorry to bug you guys)but--????????????
She said-----yep(wrong stuff)
Keep it (new is on the way)New guy(he is learning she said but no excuse)---I said,hey no big deal.
She said(when is daughter's class---cause we want that there ASAP.
I said---ya know--I am getting a $2 rebate on each box(how bout I just pay for this new 5 boxes)she said (NO)IT's on us (and $10 reabate for these too) :shock:

We are sorry(is this exceptable??) we want you happy-----------we care about you and your daughter and want you to be very happy with us. (A expedited delivery coming with specific directions)take to house not cabin.

That is why I buy from them!

Good people(even that poor new kid was a good kid)told them------do not leave a negitive feedback on this(cause I am happy)
Tell the kid---Hi
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Why I choose Cabela's

Post by Blaine »

I've always been treated in a most excellent manner by Cabela's.....I wait for specials, and/or use my Points to defray their higher costs, however. I have a store 20 miles away, so I have to carefully think about shipping vs. driving costs in this day of BS gas prices.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Huh, I've got one about a mile from my house and I can't get the loafers at the store to help me at the counter, even just to say "Be with you in a minute or two..."

The place has been there for about 2 years now but I don't visit the store much except to do in-store pick-up for stuff I buy on line. Most stuff I just get shipped to the house.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:Huh, I've got one about a mile from my house and I can't get the loafers at the store to help me at the counter, even just to say "Be with you in a minute or two..."

The place has been there for about 2 years now but I don't visit the store much except to do in-store pick-up for stuff I buy on line. Most stuff I just get shipped to the house.

I know the store. Went gun-shopping with a buddy the other day and he bought 2 rifles. Took us over 2 hours to get checked out. If I didn't like watching someone else spend money so much I would have left.Most inefficient process I've ever witnessed (except for city government) I don't have any complaints on the mail order department. I'm glad someone is getting good service from anywhere nowadays.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Huh, I've got one about a mile from my house and I can't get the loafers at the store to help me at the counter, even just to say "Be with you in a minute or two..."

I'll admit, sometimes it takes a geiger counter to find a clerk, but, generally I know what I want, and what I'm looking for. If one is busy, I'll follow them around until he/she isn't....Puppy Dog eyes helps, too 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If my $$ expenditures are any indication, then I love Cabelas :lol:

Seriously, I've always gotten great service from them.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've had a relationship w Cabelas for 20+ yrs and they are my first choice go-to company for anything outdoors.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I love Cabelas. I have one of their Visa cards and they treat me great. I ordered a tree stand from them a few months ago and when we got it the package with the bolts and screws was missing. I called the help line ON A WEEKEND and they were there to help. The guy on the phone said he would send me another one at no charge. I could take the parts I need out of the second one and call them back for a pick up tag. Problem solved.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Pulled off I-75 south of Toledo @ 11AM to buy something advertised on sale starting that morning. Took forever to find a salesperson.

Didn't have any. Offered to give me a rain check. Big deal. I live 300 miles from the store and just happened to be driving past that day.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Always have had good luck with them. They are almost solely responsible for my black powder collection.

Another one I've had good luck with is Bass Pro Shop. There was a time a couple of decades ago when I work shift work. A couple of other fellows and I were heavy into fresh water fishing. The lady working the night shift taking orders knew us by the sound of our voices. I think we single handedly paid that lady's salary a few weeks.

Which brings up a point. Ordering on line is simple and quick. But, sometimes I miss calling a human and like the OP just getting to talk. So, I will at time call the 800 number. I've pretty much always had very good service from these folks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

When I order stuff stuff from BassPro I usually have to wait 4 to 6 weeks. From Cabela's I usually have it in 5 days.
They are great at returns too even though that's a very rare event. I'll take Cabela's. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I buy all my things from some one else

ollogger
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There are 2 Cabela's about equal distance from me. I will go to the one in Ft. Worth off of I35W every time now. I made the mistake of going to the one in Allen, TX one time. The poor service would have made most folks think they were in a KMart. I finally asked one of the clerks ambling around in a Brownian Motion sort of way if he knew how to help a customer. He just looked at me as if he had bit into a green persimmon and departed for parts unknown. Nope, no way will I ever spend a dime at the one in Allen, TX again. Ft. Worth is a totally different situation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya, I know we each have had different dealings with many different stores both mail order and at the store itself.
My nearest Cabela's is a long ways a way-----so(its the mail order deal)

But they always seem------very customer oriented.
Their stuff always comes pretty darn fast(usually for me the average is 3 business days) and the items are always (perfect condition)
Like their ammo today(all of it was in a "sealed waterproof bag system.The other items seperatly wrapped and then all air bagged from each other. Their stuff always looks to be (brand new)which I mean not something that looks like its been on a shelf for a year etc.
I know sometimes you might be able to get some things cheaper, heck I told them that,but I also told them I like the way they run their company and if something costs me a couple more $ (I probably at least many times)will get their stuff.

I do also buy from our local businesses too(spread the wealth)in support of where I live.
But, gotta tell ya(they seem 1st rate)

To each their own and that is absolutely the way it should be-----------its all good!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Great clothes at reasonable prices, firearms a bit over priced though. Ammo way over priced and selection is poor...at least the one 53 miles from me. Ammo from SOG and Century much better. Firearms from Davidson's or South Sports, much better deal.

Just bought a cheap Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag combo (two barrels) 22" turkey and 28" field/waterfowl. Came with FIVE different chokes, sling, and true-glo sights. Best Cabela's would do was $599.00, best Gander Mtn would do was $617.00. Bought it brand new for $488.00(incl tax) through one of the others mentioned above.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Great clothes at reasonable prices, firearms a bit over priced though. Ammo way over priced and selection is poor...at least the one 53 miles from me. Ammo from SOG and Century much better. Firearms from Davidson's or South Sports, much better deal.

Just bought a cheap Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag combo (two barrels) 22" turkey and 28" field/waterfowl. Came with FIVE different chokes, sling, and true-glo sights. Best Cabela's would do was $599.00, best Gander Mtn would do was $617.00. Bought it brand new for $488.00(incl tax) through one of the others mentioned above.

Ok---help me out here(where are you getting lets say just for example (shotgun ammo from SOG/Century)?Like those slugs mentioned above. All I see is some Military stuff???
Or just plain regular ammo---30-30/.243/.300 win mag/45-70/ etc.???
(which is poor selection vs which)?

I know if you shop---sure you can probably find better deals around.(on seperate specific items)
But, as a whole for everything (in total)one place shop---who beats them.
I have tried others----They screw you on Handling/shipping etc.It takes a month to get the stuff/when you open the loose packed box,much of the stuff looks like returns/old faded boxes/and if something is wrong(or you just change your mind say like 88 days later thet say(too bad/so sad)
Example-----In April bought a Lee Progressive Loader(and all other stuff for it) Now---this is not normal for me(I am not one of these take it back just because guys)but honestly---I screwed up/should have got something else for my needs.
Couple months later----Called them(discussed what I did)honestly my fault-----They said---Pack "everything" up stick that return label on the Huge box and send it all back.We are also taking care of shipping cost both ways/no handling/restocking charge(think about it)and give us a call when you want something else---or if not(thats ok too)

What I am speaking about is a mail order place for all things for the Hunter/Outdoorsman(in one place)
Let me know when there is a better one place.?
Thanks

ps----Needless to say 10days later----I bought everything else(spent even more)there---This is the honest truth,the women said (now if this one don't do right by you----------------send it back) :shock: :wink:
Other than a relative owning a shop(maybe they might :lol: )where else do they do this!
And if you find a better deal(am talking online store here)from a legit retail store,they will look it up right then-------(they generally will match it) :wink: Why do I say this----(two months ago---Dicks had Wolverine GTX boots on Sale)were $149(sale)$119
Mentioned to women at Cabela's(they had same boots)$139------but I like their store so I am buying from them,they dropped price to I believe $118

JMHO
From what I see(hard to beat)
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wait... Don't tell me...

You own stock.

:shock:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

FWiedner wrote:Wait... Don't tell me...

You own stock.

:shock:

:lol:

I wish :mrgreen: :lol:

Honestly guys----They (online) just seem so professional (in these days where so many are not)its very refreshing.
The actual stores(only have been to 2)and maybe it was just good days but both experiences were very pleasant???

At least I could pick up the hundreds of guns(unlike Dick's)where they were all behind the counter and the grumpy guy makes you feel like you need to buy it to look at it. :lol:
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

PLUS...........at the Cabela's stores the powder and primers are on the shelf, on the sales floor.........and cheaper than Bass Pro Shops. I have mail ordered thru Cabela's and frequent their store in Gonzales Louisiana. Much better IMO.
AND..............I use my Holiday Inn points to buy my stuff!!
TomF
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Heck, as long as were reporting on places, Brownells has always been good to deal with. Now, if I only had more expendable income. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have also been impressed over the years with Cabela's. A great place to walk around and galk at things to.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

TomF wrote:PLUS...........at the Cabela's stores the powder and primers are on the shelf, on the sales floor.........and cheaper than Bass Pro Shops. I have mail ordered thru Cabela's and frequent their store in Gonzales Louisiana. Much better IMO.
AND..............I use my Holiday Inn points to buy my stuff!!
TomF
The powder is on the floor at the Bass Pro in Garland, TX, but the primers aren't. I like to look at them myself since I make my list up before going shopping. I have had a couple of bad experiences where I tried to tell a clerk the exact name and brand of what I wanted and exactly where it was in front of him and he still couldn't get it right. One of the times I used a laser pointer. That was at a Gander Mountain store in Corsicana. I am willing to drive to Ft. Worth to get exactly what I want. I am not too willing to change components from one brand to another when reloading for most things.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had naught but sterling service with them by mail via the Net or phone.
It has been another matter when in the stores in person.
I hear bitter complaints about the gun counter, and have personally encountered either ignorance or outright lies in the gun libraries -- and probably both.