OT - Hog seasons in PA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Hog seasons in PA

Post by oldgerboy »

Well, the PA Game Commission in response to the "protectors" and their court suit have declared a season for taking "wild hogs". They may ONLY be harvested, with no bag limit, during the fall turkey, deer, and bear seasons since the State Supreme court ruled them to be protected mammals. In PA they were argued to be an invasive species and harmful to habitat and crops but the courts did what they did.

The Game Commission could have set a much broader season but wussed out. There are a few areas that have a large and destructive populations ... I wonder what the "season" is going to mean to the local farmers?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Give it a year, maybe two tops. They'll figure out their mistake.

scott
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Seems you could " get after it " during season & make a dent
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

some day,, some way, we will have to deal with the tyrannical powers the courts have usurped for themselves.
cable
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

oldgerboy,
I'd be real interested in knowing where "a few areas that have a large and destructive populations ..." are. I have often found myself green with envy when hunters from other areas talk about hog hunting in their states. I have friends in Texas and Tennessee that often talk to me of hog hunts. Usually hog populations explode once established in an area. While I sympathize with the plight of the farmer, I'm more than willing to do my part and help out.
While were at it, anyone know where I can import a few prairie dogs? Groundhogs aren't as plentiful as they once were around here. :wink:
Don
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I have read those lines in the PA Hunter's Digest (manual for hunters from the PGC) and always wondered about just where were all those feral hogs. I hike a lot in the back woods of PA and have never seen one, never heard one, and never heard anyone talking about one. Where are they?
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Is Rosie O in PA again
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

So Far, from what I have been told - I hear the hogs are only located in the SouthWest area of PA. Greene, Fayette, and Somerset counties - but I am sure other counties have them established there.

I have never seen one in PA
[/quote]
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Actually its a good step in correcting how it was written in the digest from the beginning.
the digest had the HOGS listed and written as DOMESTIC ANIMALS
If that had stood then anyone killing one would have been liable under the Pa Crimes Code Section 5511 which prohibits killing any DOMESTIC ANIMAL It was probably a small slip of the word when they listed it intending to be referring to domestic live stock pigs who have gone Ferral but by listing them as domestic animals then some animal rights group would have jumped on the first guy to kill one by the letter of the law
Now being classified as protected species the game commission has the authority to set limits or times Hopefully they will list them the same as the coyote in PA
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hfcable wrote:some day,, some way, we will have to deal with the tyrannical powers the courts have usurped for themselves.
+1,000,000!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, like some of other boys here from Pa. have said, "Where are they?". I too have spent loads and loads of time in the woods in many different areas of Pa. and have yet to see one. I do know of a couple of game farms up in North Central Pa., but obviously, they are stocked.

I agree with Scoutmaster, we need some p. dogs. Groundhogs used to be like flies around here. Crows used to be a lot of fun to shoot but with all the building going on, its just not safe shooting them out of trees like I did in the seventies and eighties. Man!, A 22-250 with a hot loaded 53 gr. Sierra BRHPBT bullet would explode those suckers.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

hunt in south central, south west pa. never seen one. don,t know of anybody else who has.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wait a few months....
Feral hogs can have 3 litters in 14 months...
They will....take over and destroy their habitat.
In the last month, a herd of pigs crossed the main
highway and rutted up 20 or so acres of cattle pasture...
They are nocturnal and i have yet to see one...but everday,
the cattle pasture gets worse.....
when they start to move into the suberbs and small towns
they will change there tune...

We can hunt them all year round.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Time for a night vision scout scope.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:Yea, like some of other boys here from Pa. have said, "Where are they?". I too have spent loads and loads of time in the woods in many different areas of Pa. and have yet to see one. I do know of a couple of game farms up in North Central Pa., but obviously, they are stocked.

I agree with Scoutmaster, we need some p. dogs. Groundhogs used to be like flies around here. Crows used to be a lot of fun to shoot but with all the building going on, its just not safe shooting them out of trees like I did in the seventies and eighties. Man!, A 22-250 with a hot loaded 53 gr. Sierra BRHPBT bullet would explode those suckers.-----------Sixgun
I too have the same question, and not just limited to seeing a hog.
I have been seeing less and less game animals in general over the past few yrs. What I have been seeing "lots" of, Fox, Coyote, Hawks.
In other words way to many preditors in my neck of the PA. woods. :(
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

There is a fairly established herd of over a hundred in Bedford county not too far from the town of Everett. Bedford and Somerset Counties are the current spots. We had a small group here in Perry County but I have not heard anything recently.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I wonder if it would be worth a short trip to hunt feral hogs in the Keystone State? Are there enough numbers to warrant time spent in pursuit?
In addition, how receptive are landowners in that area to hunters asking permission? Are they pretty good about it or is it hard to gain access?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

There are LOTS of hogs in my area, but I rarely see them as they are nocturnal in the wild.

I have seen enough to make a trap. It's ready, but I gotta get the freezer fixed.

Here, piggy, piggy!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Just curious. If they are nocturnal, where do they hide during the day ?