Mauser VZ-24 action !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Mauser VZ-24 action !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last week I traded a good customer a cut off Ruger #1 stock and some brass for what appears to be a rather nice Mauser VZ-24 Large Ring Action .

It's my intention to build a 6.5x57 or a 6.5 REM MAG on this one before I tear the 700 Classic 06 apart and make a 6.5-06 out of it . Good practice you might say !

Last week when I first got the action I took the military trigger out and installed a Timney I already happened to have and got it to a reasonable 2 pounds creep free .

Then two days ago I started lapping the recoil lugs . I took my time at this as my hands would cramp up every so often . So I'd lay the action down , wash my hands and go doing something else for awhile . But I finally got it finished to suit myself this afternoon .

So monday I think we're gonna true/square the action and quite possibly drill and tap the reciever for a Leupold one piece base . Well the base part may get done by the end of next week as I need to order a base . Also will order a safety adapter .

Have my eye on a couple used 98 walnut aftermarket stocks . But can't decide between them or a new walnut one out of Brownells thats 100% reciever inletted and all we need to do is inlet the barrel channel and finish the exterior . This one has a buttplate installed , but more then likely if I go this route I'll remove the buttplate and cut it then put in a Pachmeyer Decelerator as well as a Brownell sett PG cap .

IF I go with the 6.5x57 it looks like a Shilen #3 carbon steel barrel will be the ticket cut to 22" . If I decide on a 6.5 REM MAG (and I kinda am leaning that way) I'll get a Shilen #4 carbon steel barrel and finish it at 24" .

Sounds kinda redundent to build this one to be a 6.5 REM MAG , the 700 Classic to be a 6.5-06 and a little further down the road pick up a Savage 111 Longe Range Hunter in 6.5x284 . But thats kinda what I want "at this exact moment" .

Don't have any pics , but I think I'll rememdy that on monday when I get to the shop !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mauser VZ-24 action !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I failed to mention even though the Brownell's stocks are supposedly inletted for the action 100% I expect I'll go ahead and glass bed the action or pillar bed it . Maybe not necessary but what the heck .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are the kinds of posts I most like about this forum (even tho I play around in the 'politics' section sometimes).

Keep us posted on your project...!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: (even tho I play around in the 'politics' section sometimes).

Politics are quite simple these days !

There's a LARGE BLACK CLOUD in a WHITE HOUSE that needs to GO AWAY quite simple LOL's !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:These are the kinds of posts I most like about this forum .
This post I am hoping is kinda the start of a three to four gun project !

This Mauser in all likelyhood will end up being the 6.5 REM MAG .
The Remington 30-06 Claasic I have that needs TLC will end up most certainly as a 6.5-06 .
There is a nice old Remington 700 BDL 7mm REM MAG I can pick up for a song that if I get will be turned into a 6.5mm-300 Weatherby or the 6.5 Weatherby Mag thats based on the 270 Weatherby case .

And lastly I'll keep my eyes open for a Remington 700 in 243 , or 308 that I can make a 6.5x47 Lapua bench gun out of . And by bench gun I mean a kinda full blown bench rest match gun (that'll never be shot in a match LOL's). If I get to the Lapua case I may very well put the gun in the benchrest stock my 222 HB is in and put the 222 back in it's factory stock or see if I can get the guy that made that stock to make me another .

But this is a good three years worth of work unless I come into a bunch of money sometime soon LOL's !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I'm seeing a 6.5 pattern developing.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

AJMD429 wrote:These are the kinds of posts I most like about this forum (even tho I play around in the 'politics' section sometimes).

Keep us posted on your project...!!!!!! :mrgreen:
+1

I have been thinking of converting one of my Mauser's 30-06 into 6mm-06 or 6.5-06.

Mainehunter :wink:
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

6pt-sika wrote:I failed to mention even though the Brownell's stocks are supposedly inletted for the action 100% I expect I'll go ahead and glass bed the action or pillar bed it . Maybe not necessary but what the heck .
I put a new stock on a 9.3x62 with a FN 98 action, that had beat up one on it. The stock I found was partially finished, I did have to do much of the inletting and shaping, but the price was right.

You will need to put in the recoil lug, if not then glass bed the action, giving extra attention to the rear tang.

I put a Timney trigger in also, with the safety. Then I found the unfinished aftermarket 3 position safety replacement for the 98 bolt. It is at Brownells, they do have finished ones that look really nice. Its just a piece of metal that takes the place of the safety and makes the bolt look a little more modern.

Good luck with it,

Steve
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

These are pics of my VZ24 that I converted from 8x57 to .308. The Action has been trued and blueprinted. Timney Trigger and Speedlock kit with firing pin, 1/4 turn safety, bolt has been polished and handle turned down. Bell and Carlson Stock. she is one heck of a shooter. Took a deer with her during handicapped season this year at 317yards, heart shot using my Hornady 155gr Amax reloads. I have this VZ and then I have 2 Mauser98's both A's no K's. I have shot and my nephews have taken many deer with this rifle and had I not finally shot all the good out of the barrel she would still have her original barrel. you will love whatever you do with the action. I have found I can build better rifles than I can buy using this type of Action for the same money or even less. Congrats on your trade!!!!
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BenT wrote:I'm seeing a 6.5 pattern developing.
Yep - he's definitely in a .260 frame of mind........ :roll:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:

I've owned a 260 REM since it's factory legitimazation by Remington back in 1996 and I still happen to own that rifle !

I've had 264 WIN MAG's since maybe 1989 or so .

Lets see at the moment there's a 260 , a pair 0f 6.5x55's and a 264 WIN MAG in the house !

Had a very nice 6.5-06 on a Mauser 98 action about 3 years ago and sold it . Rifle was a good shooter 1/2 MOA with the Hornady 129 SST .

I wanna get the 700 LA made up into a 6.5-06 . And since this 98 kinda fell in my lap the 6.5 REM MAG sounds like a decent idea .

Over the last several months I've had several of the Savage Long Range Hunters at the range in 6.5 Creedmoor all the way up to 338 Lapua with satisfying results . So I'm thinking I need one of them at some point and the 6.5x284 would be an excellent choice since thats a cartridge I'd like to mess with a bit !

Same can be said for the 6.5x47 Lapua , but I'm thinking that would be best suited for my needs in a bench gun built on a 700 SA .
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Pete44ru wrote:

I'm reeaaalllly interested in the 260 Remington ballistics and have been reading up on it for awhile. One of my projects (some day) is to take a Savage 99 308 converted to 260 Rem. :mrgreen:

southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Are those VZ-24 actions made of really good steel? They don't have the problems with questionable metal that the early Springfield '06 had do they? How can you tell the vintage of the Mauser? With Mauser 98 actions having been built in several countries and for well over a hundred years, how do you know the good ones from the no-so-good (metal-wise)?
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

they don't tend to have the metal issues you are referring to. If you stay with the European made actions you are in pretty good shape. The 98 actions are really robust and will handle quite a bit. I have heard of different problems with barrels and such but even the Argentinian mausers were German made and exported there. Again this is what I have been told by my gunsmith who has helped me build 3 customs, not Sporters. Unless you get one that shows signs of not being taken care of, pits and rust you have a good solid action. My oldest is a 1916 Erfurt (Germany) Mauser 98A. It has been completely gone through, trued, triggered, bolt polished, face trued up, and handle bent. it is still in 8x57 in a Hogue Stock with Lyman target sights on it. My 36 Mauser 98 (Obendorf) has a .308 Palma Match Barrel attached. It has also been completely gone through with a Modified Weatherby Stock on it. They are all phenomenal Shooters, they are the reason I started reloading, I bought them all as shooting rifles and then started reading about them and what people have done with them and the bug bit me hard.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

You may also want to look at boyd's gun stocks.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

Have you had any experience with the 6.5x54 M-S? I have always had an interest in experimenting with one of the old Mannlichers, but I seem to be the only one. I have never read about anybody building a rifle in this old-timer, and have always wondered if there is a problem with this cartridge that I haven't heard about.

Given your obvious interest in this bore size, I thought you might have some insight on this particular round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

guntar wrote:Have you had any experience with the 6.5x54 M-S? I have always had an interest in experimenting with one of the old Mannlichers, but I seem to be the only one. I have never read about anybody building a rifle in this old-timer, and have always wondered if there is a problem with this cartridge that I haven't heard about.

Given your obvious interest in this bore size, I thought you might have some insight on this particular round.
No I've not owned a 6.5x54 MS . I've had several in my hands but never owned or fired one .

Some how I don't think it would be right to have one made onanything but a Mannlicher Schoenauer action or either get and old original .
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

guntar wrote:Have you had any experience with the 6.5x54 M-S? I have always had an interest in experimenting with one of the old Mannlichers, but I seem to be the only one. I have never read about anybody building a rifle in this old-timer, and have always wondered if there is a problem with this cartridge that I haven't heard about.

I have, and reload, both the 6.5X55 and the 6.5X54MS. The MS is in an old sporterized Greek Military MS. Unless you just have a thing for the MS I can't imagine building anything but and MS action into and MS. Brass can sometimes be hard to come by and it is not easy to form from anything else. The 6.5X55 is one of my favortie cartridges. Accurate and deadly on game.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well my rifle building has taken a turn !

Someone came in the shop saturday and without me knowing bought the 7mm REM MAG I wanted to rebarrel to 6.5-300 Weatherby .

Also someone came in this morning and made me an offer on the old neglected 700 Classic .

Last night I was reading loading manuals and for once in my life I saw the waste of time of building a 6.5x57 since I already have the 260 .
Then I poured over the data for the 6.5-06 vs 6.5x284 vs 6.5 Rem Mag and have pretty much decided now to build the VZ-24 into another 6.5-06 similar to what I had before .

I still however want a bench gun in 6.5x47 Lapua to go with my 222 semi bench gun .

TO be honest I don't wanna get back to the point I have been a couple times before !
And thats being OVER saturated with firearms I don't have time to try all the loads I wanted to try !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well just made the order to Brownell's !

Ordered a safety low profile , a Leupold base , a Brownell bolt handle and a walnut stock .

Still need to get a Shilen #3 Carbon Steel barrel .

I have the chamber reamer at home for the 6.5-06 .

After all that stuff gets here we're gonna cut the military bolt handle then I'll have the new one welded on and polished followed by ME jeweling the bolt body , claw piece and the follower . Also still need to true the front of the action .

May go ahead and put aluminum pillars in the stock as well .

Some pics of the action as it sits now ,

And the Timney trigger I installed . This one is fairly consistent breaking at 1 pound 15 ounces to 2 pounds 1 ounce each time . Should be excellent for paperwork once I get it put together . After the loads done I'll readjust it to 2 1/2 pounds .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Lovely crest on that one. I wish you were going to build and put scope mounts on one with the crest already ground down/off, but hey - it is what it is and I wish you the best. Just hate to see a good Mauser crest get hidden under mounts when milsurps with good crests have become so rare. :|

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Lovely crest on that one. I wish you were going to build and put scope mounts on one with the crest already ground down/off, but hey - it is what it is and I wish you the best. Just hate to see a good Mauser crest get hidden under mounts when milsurps with good crests have become so rare. :|

Oly
Thats no worse then taking one of those lovely Mannlicher Schoenauer actions and drilling the front ring for a scope base right where it has the Mannlicher Schoenauer stamped .

This action is a parts action anyway , the seriel numbers on the reciever , bolt and bottom metal do not match !
Although when we're done the only seriel number will be on the reciever .
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I would recommend you get the Timney speedlock spring to go with your Timney Trigger. It really does cut down on the lock time and works well with the trigger. I have done it to one of mine and as time and money permits I will do it to all three.

Someone asked earlier about VZ24 action quality, I just remembered that the ones you want come from the BRNO factory, some of the others were made with POW labor and their quality isn't quite as good.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

oneyeopn wrote:I would recommend you get the Timney speedlock spring to go with your Timney Trigger.
Yes I think I may very well get one if the gun shoots to suit me after it gets put together !
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Can any of you VZ-24 experts advise which Timney model to select for a post-war VZ-24 (ish) BRNO rifle ?

It appears to be the VZ-24 made for Czech army use (possibly known as the VZ-98n). It has the magazine w/o the detachable floorplate, the triggerguard and floorplate are all one piece. Guard is extra big for winter gloves. It has the Czech rampant lion stamp and the correct name stamp on the receiver (yes, 8x57).

It seems there are quite a lot of Timney part numbers that might apply, and I couldn't parse the abbreviations very well.

The stock trigger is...interesting. :roll:
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I have installed the Mauser Sportsman on my VZ24, the VZ24 is mechanically identical to the large ring Mauser 98 action and the Mauser trigger fits perfectly. You can get them pretuned to a ton of different pull weights, I myself got the 3 lb but It can be adjusted more or less. You can order them at what ever pull weight you want. the appear quite a bit larger than the Mauser style trigger but fasten right up and work well. there are different styles of Timneys, the sportsman is a little more rugged than the featherweight.
Last edited by oneyeopn on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The one I used in the pics above is the Timney Featherweight I think . As it was given to me and cost me no scheckels .

If I hadn't had that trigger I think I would have opted for a Timney Featherweight DeLuxe and also bought a new bolt shroud . Then I coulda done away with the 3 position safety totally and had one more in character to a Remington 700 .

I have nothing against 3 position safties as I used them of Kimber 89BGR's and Pre 64 Model 70's for years I just prefer the side safety more like whats on a Remington 700 .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I love the VZ-24 actions, and wish I had bought more of the surplus rifles when they were cheap and plentiful. My smith built me a very nice .416 Taylor on one of those actions with a Pac-Nor barrel and set it into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. I wish I had not let it slip away. Very useful tool for both Alaska and Africa.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

6pt-sika wrote:The one I used in the pics above is the Timney Featherweight I think . As it was given to me and cost me no scheckels .

If I hadn't had that trigger I think I would have opted for a Timney Featherweight DeLuxe and also bought a new bolt shroud . Then I coulda done away with the 3 position safety totally and had one more in character to a Remington 700 .

I have nothing against 3 position safties as I used them of Kimber 89BGR's and Pre 64 Model 70's for years I just prefer the side safety more like whats on a Remington 700 .
How are you going to get clearance to work the safety when you mount a scope?

Steve
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

the safety's are easy to replace, the least expensive route is a 45degree safety that flips up a little and down it is not 3 position. thats what I have on mine. you can also get the beside the trigger safety but you have to dremel out your stock a little for it. Or you can get the one that fits on the back of the bolt that flips sideways. Lots of options, I prefer the bolt safeties a lot stronger and way more secure than the trigger style. As I omitted above you order the Timney trigger for a Mauser 98, the Sportsman is the most rugged of the 4 styles, because I use mine for hunting and it gets hauled around sometimes I went with the strongest and a safe trigger weight.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

SteveR wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:The one I used in the pics above is the Timney Featherweight I think . As it was given to me and cost me no scheckels .

How are you going to get clearance to work the safety when you mount a scope?

Steve
BTT
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just finished trueing the action and then rubbed some cold blue on it to keep it from rusting .

Hopefully thursday we'll have the other pieces and can D&T the reciever as well as cutting and welding on the new bolt handle !

southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

If I may ask, what is the going smith rate to cut and weld on a new bolt handle? I'll do it unless it's too pricey for an otherwise stock VZ-24.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

southfork wrote:If I may ask, what is the going smith rate to cut and weld on a new bolt handle? I'll do it unless it's too pricey for an otherwise stock VZ-24.

To be honest I don't know !

Anything my friend does for me is considered payment for my services rendered for him . I take care of the internet sales for him and myself and he does the gunsmith work for me that I don't feel capable of doing .

My friend just told me his bolt handle redo charge is a flat rate of $150 which includes blueing of the bolt .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

6pt,
I have a set of dies in 6.5-06 AI, a bunch of brass and some loaded ammo, all in 6.5-06 AI. This is a fabulous looking cartridge but I will never do anything with this stuff. Do you want it? You may want to pull down the loaded stuff for components though I think they are clearly marked as to what they are loaded with. Just let me know and I'll send it to you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote:6pt,
I have a set of dies in 6.5-06 AI, a bunch of brass and some loaded ammo, all in 6.5-06 AI. This is a fabulous looking cartridge but I will never do anything with this stuff. Do you want it? You may want to pull down the loaded stuff for components though I think they are clearly marked as to what they are loaded with. Just let me know and I'll send it to you.
Thanks for the offer .
Send me a PM and let me know what you're planning to get for the items .

My original intention was a plain 6.5-06 but an AI might be okay as well !
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

southfork wrote:Are those VZ-24 actions made of really good steel? They don't have the problems with questionable metal that the early Springfield '06 had do they? How can you tell the vintage of the Mauser? With Mauser 98 actions having been built in several countries and for well over a hundred years, how do you know the good ones from the no-so-good (metal-wise)?
The early Springfield had problems because the metal wasn't heat treated correctly. The process was later changed to correct the problem. As far as telling the age of a mauser action, there are various books and website where you can look a lot of them up depending upon what country actually manufactured it. As far as safety, many folks feel the small ringed actions are probably best left to milder cartridges, but the large ring actions are a lot stronger.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My Brownell's order arrived today !

The stock is okay for a not expensive piece of wood , also the action and bottom metal are inletted 100% as they claim !

The Leupold one piece base arrived hopefully we can get it drilled and tapped monday !

The Brownell's bolt handle arrived as well , it kinda reminds me of the bolt handles on Pre 64 Model 70's with the hollow knobs .

And finally the safety adapter thing arrived .

Didn't have time to take pics etc today as we had many "visitors/customers" today .

So I'll see about that monday .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Came in to the shop today to get caught up with my gunbroker listings and found my VZ has been D&T'd , the safety adapter thing is installed . The seriel number on the floorplate was welled and buffed . The little hole in the trigger guard got welded up as well !

Actually the new bolt handle is just tack welded as he wanted to see if it suited me before he put it there for good . So I assume that will get finish welded monday along with a complete polish so I can jewell the bolt , claw and follower !
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Mainehunter wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:

I'm reeaaalllly interested in the 260 Remington ballistics and have been reading up on it for awhile. One of my projects (some day) is to take a Savage 99 308 converted to 260 Rem. :mrgreen:

Barrel swap yer done! :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Need to order a Brownell's steel grip cap and the Shilen #3 carbon steel barrel .

Might possibly get them this coming week , well atleast order them !

I have a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO on our Ruger #1B 257 Bob that'll get removed and put on top this rifle once I have it to shooting condition .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Need to pick out a piece of "exotic" wood from our stash at the shop for the forend tip !

Come to think of it might make the grip cap outta the same stuff !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Think if the customers will leave me alone tommorrow I'll start getting the stock down to the bottom metal on the outside . If I can get that in a fashion that suits me I may start working on the cheek piece a bit , I'd kinda like to get something in the nature of a shadowline . Also need to pick out a recoil pad and have it fitted before this gets to far along !

We have a decent selection of Becote wood for knife handles etc . I'm thinking of making the forend tip and the grip cap outta that stuff . Maple is also a consideration but I'm not sure I want that big of a contrast !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got to working on the stock today !

Started working on the exterior shaping and got the bottom metal to fit pretty well flush with the floorplate just extended .

Did a little on the barrel channel using a Remington BDL 243 barrel as a model ..

Was gonna do a shawdowline on the cheekpiece but that may be vastly overstepping my limited ability !

Also got the bolt handle finish welded and semi polished but I failed to take a picture of the bolt handle .
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Seeing your workshop photos immediately brings back the scents of my grandfather's basement, where he made the stocks for my own sporterized Mauser. Lovely work you're doing, thanks for posting the pics.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jshinal wrote:Seeing your workshop photos immediately brings back the scents of my grandfather's basement, where he made the stocks for my own sporterized Mauser. Lovely work you're doing, thanks for posting the pics.

You're quite welcome !

Although I'm sure your grandfather did I better job then what I'm doing !

This is my first try ever at doing the final shaping of a stock . I'm okay doing a refinsh or maybe openng the barrel channel . But this is as I say the first try at this , but I suppose as long as I don't get in a hurry it "may" come out semi usable .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bit of a setback today !

Went to cut the bolt handle notch in the stock and noticed we didn't need much of a cut for the handle to go all the way down . So I loosely mounted a scope and low and behold it didn't clear the scope .

So tommorrow the bolt handle will be recut and rewelded .

Talked with my woodworking retired sheriff friend and I'm going to get him to put the recoil pad , along with Becote forend tip and grip cap on the stock . he also told me he'd get me a more acceptable forend taper .

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yeah it takes a pretty low bolt. I've noted, for example, that the bent handle K98s still wont clear a scope. And if you jack the scope up enough the comb isn't high enough! :D

Hang in there - you'll get it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That scopes on that action in medium Leupold rings . I'm kinda thinking if he can't get the bolt handle right for me to use low Leupold rings I may forget the whole thing .

And by right I mean something that I consider pleasent to the eye and not something that looks to be done as an after thought .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It just struck me !

When I looked at the gun the other day with the bolt handle incorrectly welded on I was thinking the scope was a good bit above where I wanted it . But I failed to take into consideration I was looking at the distance above the stock and not above the actual barrel !

If he gets it rewelded so it'll clear the scope as mounted it should suit me as I usually use Leupold medium rings with the Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14x40mmAO scopes I have .

The fact that the bolt handle didn't clear made me see red a bit and I saw but didn't see correctly I guess you can say :lol: