Cut FMJ Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Cut FMJ Bullets

Post by Rifleman »

I've heard of people cutting the tip off of FMJ bullets to make hunting bullets, I figured I'd give it a try.

Snipped the Tip Off of FMJ Bullets

I concluded I needed to cut more off of the tip; so the next day I tried just that.

Snipped the Tip Off of FMJ; 2

I thought for sure it would make a splash, but it really didn't do much at all. Maybe on a deer it would be more explosive?

One thing though, they were accurate. Of those 3 shots, the first missed because of a scope adjustment error; those shots have the same POI, as the unmodified FMJ.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Cut FMJ Bullets

Post by EdinCT »

That was popular after WW2 until some cores shot through because the bottoms were open. That left a jacket in the bore and the next shot burst the barrel.
Buy some soft points for hunting the deer deserve it.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

EdinCT wrote:Buy some soft points for hunting the deer deserve it.
Yeah, I actually wasn't going to use them. I'm not allowed here in Ohio anyway.
[edit]
Also... what part of my posts and/or videos lead you to believe I thought it was preforming adequately?
[/edit]

If the bullet wasn't bonded or it was cut passed the ogive, I could see core separation. I should shoot one into the trough to see what it looks like.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How much Mohel are you going to snip from the tip? Do you do it BRISkly or slowly? Do you do it with ceremony?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Rifleman,
Sorry after rereading my reply it seemed a little harsh. I drilled M1 carbine shells when I was a kid until dad caught me anyway:) Never saw any improvement.
This is why I thought you were considering hunting with them.

I've heard of people cutting the tip off of FMJ bullets to make hunting bullets, I figured I'd give it a try.
Maybe on a deer it would be more explosive?

That said I have seen old timers take a FMJ and carefully use a dremel to cut 4 slots out on nose leaving the tip intact. I am not recommending it is said to work some what.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A gamekeeper friend of mine over here use to buy ball 223 and cut the tips off so they stopped fox's better. Did it for years.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I tried again today shooting into the trough; I got some expansion and hydraulic shock.

Snipped the Tip Off of FMJ; 3

That was a lot snipped off the tip, I don't know how well it will shoot; I'll have to try it at distance.