I picked up a nice C.S.A. Item. (Carved Horn Shot Glass)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

I picked up a nice C.S.A. Item. (Carved Horn Shot Glass)

Post by rangerider7 »

This came in the mail today. It is very rare to find any authentic Confederate Items from the Civil War. This is a hand carved cowhorn shot glass with the Texas star, T-E-X-A-S spelled out around it and the name "Waco Guards" underneath.

Here is a brief history of Hiram Granbury and the Waco Guards.

Hiram B. Granbury
Memorial Photos Flowers Edit Share
Birth: Mar. 1, 1831
Death: Nov. 30, 1864

Civil War Confederate Brigadier General. He was born in Copiah County, Mississippi. He attended Oakland College in Rodney, Mississippi, then moved to Waco, Texas, in the 1850s, became an attorney and served as county judge for two years as well as serving with the Texas Rangers. Once Texas left the Union, he organized the Waco Guards and served as its first Captain. He was sent to duty in Kentucky and Tennessee, and in October 1861, was made Major of the 7th Texas. He was captured in the fall of Fort Donelson on February 16, 1862, and imprisoned at Fort Warren in Boston Harbor. His wife, Fannie Sims Granbury, had moved with her husband to Fort Donelson, after his capture she once again moved to be near him, this time to Massachusetts. While there she became ill and required surgery in Baltimore. On parole, he was allowed to attend to her during this time. Sadly it was found that she was suffering from ovarian cancer and nothing could be done. She would returned to Alabama where she died. He was exchanged for two lieutenants on August 27, 1862, and was promoted to Colonel. The 7th Texas was not exchanged until November of that year, and once exchanged was consolidated with the 49th and 55th Tennessee regiments under Colonel J.E. Bailey. This left him without a command until January 1863 when the unit was again independent. He led the regiment during the Vicksburg Campaign, and at Chickamauga, where he was wounded. At Chattanooga, he assumed command of the brigade upon the wounding of General J.A. Smith and led it until Smith was able to resume command. He also saw action during the Battle of Missionary Ridge, and on the Army of Tennessee's retreat in November 1863, he received praise from division commander Major General Patrick R. Cleburne. By the end of the Atlanta Campaign he was back in command leading his men in Hood's invasion of Tennessee. At the Battle of Franklin, on November 30, 1864, he charged the Union center with Cleburne, and was killed before reaching the Federal breastworks, and became one of 6 Confederate Generals to die as a result of the battle. General Pat Cleburne was one of the six as well. The towns of Granbury and Cleburne, Texas are named after these gentlemen. (bio by: Ugaalltheway)

Last edited by rangerider7 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I picked up a nice C.S.A. Item. (Carved Horn Shot Glass)

Post by Blaine »

You're posts are always cool...thanks!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very kewl. I learn so much here
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool indeed! 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very nice !

And for posterities sake I suggest you have a small taste of some Old #7 (or whatever your prefferred brand of sour mash may be) out of the shot glass 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

6pt-sika wrote:Very nice !

And for posterities sake I suggest you have a small taste of some Old #7 (or whatever your prefferred brand of sour mash may be) out of the shot glass 8)
+ 1.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I really like it RR7. I have to wonder in looking at it though...is it possible that it's too nice? I would think that if it's authentic it was really babied by it's owner? A man does have his priorities I reckon. :lol:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

C.Cash, I don't know the background of this item, just who the Waco Guards were. I don't think this was made by one of the Waco Guards during the civil War. I have seen others but none of the scrimshaw is exactly the same, so each one was handmade. More than likely these shot glasses were given to the veterans at a reunion of the company or something like that. I'm not even sure it is horn, it could be bone or something similar. Time will tell as I do more research. RR7
Last edited by rangerider7 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is really nice.
I would use it, at least one :D :D :D
Keep us posted on your research.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Judging by his picture he must have drank some electrically rectified pop skull out that very cool item you have there...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yes
rangerider7 wrote:C.Cash, I don't know the background of this item, just who the Waco Guards were. I don't think this was made by one of the Waco Guards during the civil War. I have seen others but none of the scrimshaw is exactly the same, so each one was handmade. More than likely these shot glasses were given to the veterans at a reunion of the company or something like that. I'm not even sure it is horn, it could be bone or something similar. Time will tell as I do more research. RR7
Yes Sir that sounds right. Having been a grunt myself I know what stuff looks like after being in the field for a little while. Some things never change! A very cool piece of history there.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Fill it up at least once, with good whiskey and have a toast to the boys that wore the grey and followed Lee.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

". . . toast to the boys that wore the grey and followed Marse Lee."

There. Fixed it for you.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:You're posts are always cool...thanks!
I have to agree with BlaineG...love the history and the artifacts that you present here...this NY kid is starting to really appreciate the history of Texas and it's favorite sons...and rangerider7 that's all your fault (and i'm ok with that)... :)