First handgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

First handgun

Post by El Chivo »

They got one of these in at the indoor range where I go, and boy, I just liked it. Nice size, it won't be loud, and the firesights are excellent.

95% of my shooting these days is at the indoor range, this should be perfect. And it could come in handy in the field as well.

So it's on hold now for a ten day wait.

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Re: First handgun

Post by eric65 »

Should be enjoyable for years to come!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Now go forth and do everything in thy power to wear it out.

Congratulations. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

That look's cool, I'm guessing that is a Single Ten in .22lr? I just noticed on Ruger's website they now have a Single Nine, which is the same except in .22mag. I might have to look at one of those after Christmas. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I lusted for the six-shot version in 1974, but got a Mark-I instead, since I figured I wouldn't reload .22 LR so didn't care if the brass flung out of the gun. My "pairs" were a Ruger Mk-I and 10/22 in rimfire, and a Super-Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. Covered most anything other than zombies (.44 Mag JHP's just won't stop 'em; I know it because I've seen them movies).

I finally got my Single-Six a couple years ago, making it the longest 'wait' for getting a gun I wanted - some 35 years...!

I'm betting the 10-shot version is even more fun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You done real good, IMO! My Single Six will stay with me forever, and get passed down.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:You done real good, IMO! My Single Six will stay with me forever, and get passed down.
Mine too; I took it out on pidgon patrol this morning with Federal 22LR shot in my tractor shed. Very effective.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

damienph wrote:I took it out on pidgon patrol this morning with Federal 22LR shot in my tractor shed. Very effective.
Good on carpenter-bees, too... 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
damienph wrote:I took it out on pidgon patrol this morning with Federal 22LR shot in my tractor shed. Very effective.
Wouldn't that be a little hard on the structure?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sweet, You will love it. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
:shock:

Well, you gotta figger they ain't as smart as injuns, and sooner or later, they skylight themselves against the horizon - you fire when there isn't nothin' but blue-sky behind 'em... :wink:

It's kind of like mini-skeet-shooting with a pistol - tons of fun ('xept not for the bees).

I guess you could always put up a scrap sheet of 4'x8' something or other as a backstop, too.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Probably not as hard as the carpenter bees are.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice acquisition. I have taken to carrying a ss bearcat while hunting. I figured around here I need a 22 all the time and not really in need of anything more powerful in the woods while hunting. So now I carry the bearcat when I'm archery, Blackpowder or rifle hunting. If I travel to where bears might be, my opinion would then have to change. So I'm guessing that looks to be a perfect woods walking gun!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

If that's the convertible version you could slip the 22 Mag cylinder in it and have a decent home defense gun. Some might argue it but after reading some of Paco's writings it has been used successfully in the past.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's a quality pistol, you'll get a lifetime of service out of it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Unless something has happened at Ruger that I am not aware of, you should have a lot of fun trying to get that pistol worn in to where it is smooth and slick, then have a lifetime of service like that. PillHer's GP100 took about 2,000 rounds to start to smooth up. My SRH isn't anywhere near that, and is still not smoothed up yet. Once they smooth up, the accuracy seems to improve dramatically and the trigger pull gets better. The only person I ever heard of who messed up a Ruger was my brother. He did it to a .357 Blackhawk by loading it with compressed loads of 2400 and playing quick draw with it. He knocked it out of time a little and it started spitting bits of bullet jacket out the sides. The bits weren't big enough to really see unless he let loose near you and some of it hit you. It stung a lot. I think the reason it got out of time was that he started the hammer pull before the pistol left the holster and the little pawl that turns the cylinder had a lot more resistance on it than anyone should ever put on one. The fella who bought the gun from him sent it to Ruger for a little service and is still using it with great results.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great choice for a first handgun, especially considering ammo prices - congratulations!