.348 Brass is Available

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

.348 Brass is Available

Post by 7.62 Precision »

The other day I was talking to someone about the lack of .348 brass. He is an ammo manufacturer and has had it on back-order from several sources for 3 to 5 years. I had contacted several brass manufacturers suggesting that they begin to run .348 brass, but all said there was no demand for it. I started to think about the possibility of forming it from another caliber, and was checking brass prices, and when I went to Grafs to check price of the perpetually out-of-stock Winchester brass, I was astonished to see that Jamison is making .348 Win brass and it is in stock at Grafs. I quickly ordered 220 pieces - shipped yesterday.

Maybe you guys all knew it already and I'm just slow, but I appreciate that they are making brass for this caliber, and I would like to see it really pay off for them.

Here is a link to their retail side: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/25340
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: .348 Brass is Available

Post by mod71alaska »

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/25340

$109.20 for 100 rounds of Jamison unprimed .348 brass at Grafs. I'll sell 100 rounds of new Winchester unprimed .348 brass to a Forum member for $100 if you need it. Victor
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Still trying to prod Hornady to come out with ammo. They make a flat point and gummy tip bullet.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

mod71alaska wrote:http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/25340

$109.20 for 100 rounds of Jamison unprimed .348 brass at Grafs. I'll sell 100 rounds of new Winchester unprimed .348 brass to a Forum member for $100 if you need it. Victor
That is a good deal. I have seen it go way higher up here.

I ordered some of the Hornady flex-tip bullets just to see what they do in the .384. Might be pretty good for deer/moose, etc.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Well I am new to the 348wcf game.
I picked up my rifle about a month ago at a collector show.
I didn't have any notion of brass availability one way or another, but when I got home I just orderd three sacks of winchester brass from Cabella's, they didn't have any problem shipping me some. I think they were only $40.00 per fifty rounds.
Was that a fluke for me to find them?
Don't know if they still have any or not, I would say maybe I should get some more, but I am not too pleased with the product I recieved. I haven't opened the other two bags, but I loaded up 40 rounds this past weekend, and I threw out about 6 or 7 pieces in the bag while doing so, only a couple left with the first batch. I had one with a rim so think it wouldn't fit in the shell holder, and a couple of the necks were so deformed I couldn't get the sizer into it with out crumpling them, and a couple that were gouged so bad on the neck it almost looked like it was splt. Very dissapointing.
Perhaps the Jamison brass is better quality.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Just did a quick google search

Cabella is now out acording to there web site.
Midway has them available for 37.99/50 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139028 ... winchester
Mcgee Creek outfitters (no idea who that is) has them available for 26.85/50. http://mcgcreek.com/wi3winun50re3.html
Natchez sais they are out.
Hmmm...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I see Winchester brass at gun shows pretty regularly for $35-$40/bag of 50. I haven't bought any in several years, the last I bought I think was $25/50. I always look just out of curiosity.

I'd call Winchester about the bad brass, they may replace it. I've never had any trouble with the Winchester brass I've used, tho all bulk brass seems to have a few dented necks. I take a loaded cartridge and round them out with the bullet before sizing.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Midway has Winchester brass just now.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mod71alaska wrote:http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/25340

Hey Victor, that ain't what I sold it to you for! :D Capitalism...ain't it great? :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Hey Sixgun,

I guess I have too many birthdays under my belt. I don't remember buying brass from you, Jack. It must have been a long, long, long time ago when you were nicer, though! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dinner is on me. No guns, old man. We're drinking...on you!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mod71alaska wrote:Hey Sixgun,

I guess I have too many birthdays under my belt. I don't remember buying brass from you, Jack. Dinner is on me.
OK, you win. I bluffed. I do know I sold a mess of it to someone but like you, I crs anymore. :D

Oh! I see you invited me to dinner. I'll be up! :D

On another note and one that pertains to the question of the subject matter, I see .348 brass all the time, but this is Pennsylvania, the land of brass and neat guns. :D ----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Udy wrote:Just did a quick google search

Midway has them available for 37.99/50 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139028 ... winchester
Mcgee Creek outfitters (no idea who that is) has them available for 26.85/50. http://mcgcreek.com/wi3winun50re3.html
Hmmm...
Cool, Midway didn't have it the last time I checked, however, after years of ordering from Midway, they just called us and informed us that they will no longer sell anything to us because we have a website (apparently they did not notice before and have a policy of not selling to anyone else who has a web presence). We liked Midway because they always shipped fast and were easy to work with.

I have emailed McGee Creek in the last couple of weeks, Edit: Just got an email from them - they for some reason can't update their website, but are out of stock on .348.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Udy wrote:Just did a quick google search

Hmmm...
Midway still has .348 brass for $37.99 in stock. BUY IT!!!
Mcgee's price is exceptional...I tried to buy some...but they are out until further notice. Bet it won't be at $26.85 if and when they get more in!

Jack, dinner is on me, but you forgot the best part...old age really is tough, isn't it!...that drinks are on you, and we're going to drink A LOT! :lol: :lol: :lol:
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Mcgees pricing is from 2007.....look carefully.
If anyone needs 348 brass, I have plenty of it. 307 and 356 as well.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Just got an email from McGee - they said they are out of stock and their website is out of date and they are unable to fix it or update it.
ghostdncr
Levergunner

Post by ghostdncr »

I just ordered 250 pieces with no backorder alert. Kinda hard to believe this stuff is available again at such a reasonable price. They apparently had the Hornady 200 grain FP bullets in stock for $34/100 too, but after my order for 4 boxes was processed they're now listed as out of stock.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

ghostdncr wrote:I just ordered 250 pieces with no backorder alert. Kinda hard to believe this stuff is available again at such a reasonable price. They apparently had the Hornady 200 grain FP bullets in stock for $34/100 too, but after my order for 4 boxes was processed they're now listed as out of stock.

Where?

Also...Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you around our fire.

mod71alaska
ghostdncr
Levergunner

Post by ghostdncr »

mod71alaska wrote:
ghostdncr wrote:I just ordered 250 pieces with no backorder alert. Kinda hard to believe this stuff is available again at such a reasonable price. They apparently had the Hornady 200 grain FP bullets in stock for $34/100 too, but after my order for 4 boxes was processed they're now listed as out of stock.

Where?

Also...Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you around our fire.

mod71alaska
Thanks for the welcome! I really thought that earlier post through, didn't I? :roll:

Ordered through MidwayUSA. I just noticed they've dropped the 1000 piece lots that were available last week, so now only the 50 piece lots are available. A quick inspection of my last order from a couple of weeks back revealed no flawed cases, so I'm going to keep ordering as funds allow until they run out.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I spoke with Winchester firearms yesterday regarding the new Model 71's and was told that they would be available before the end of the year. I told the fellow that winchester ammunition no longer listed the loaded ammo or component casings, he put me on hold and when he returned he told that Winchester ammo was going to continue making both items. Only time will tell if he was telling me the truth or not.

Mike
ghostdncr
Levergunner

Post by ghostdncr »

elmo123 wrote:I told the fellow that winchester ammunition no longer listed the loaded ammo or component casings, he put me on hold and when he returned he told that Winchester ammo was going to continue making both items. Only time will tell if he was telling me the truth or not.
Sounds legit based on what I've seen over on Midway's website. The 50 piece part number is still in stock, the 500 piece part number is listed as discontinued, but the 1000 piece was recently marked as "Unavailable - Seasonal Run" after being in stock for several weeks running. As quickly as the brass sells out, it looks like it would be worth continuing the periodic production runs.