Someone needs glasses.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Someone needs glasses.

Post by gamekeeper »

LONDON (Reuters) - British police apologised on Wednesday for using a stun gun on a blind man after officers mistook his white cane for a samurai sword.

Officers were responding to "a number of reports that a man was walking through Chorley armed with a samurai sword", when they confronted Colin Farmer, who was on his way to meet friends in a pub last Friday, in the northern English town.

When Farmer, 61, did not respond to their calls to stop, one of the officers used his taser stun gun, which delivers a 50,000 volt shock.

"I certainly didn't know they were police - and I certainly didn't know they were shouting at me. I thought I was going to be attacked by some hooligans," Farmer told the Lancashire Evening Post newspaper.

Despite pleading with the police and telling them he was blind, he was handcuffed.

"It then became apparent that this man was not the person we were looking for and officers attended to him straight away," said Chief Superintendent Stuart Williams in a statement, adding the innocent man was taken to hospital for treatment.

"Lancashire Constabulary deeply regrets what has happened. We have clearly put this man through a traumatic experience and we are extremely sorry for that."

Police later arrested a 27-year old man in connection with the sword reports but released him without charge.

The incident has now been referred to the independent police watchdog for further investigation.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: Someone needs glasses.

Post by guido4198 »

If this had happened in New York...the headline would be: FBI subdues terrorist carrying a WMD in his hand..!! :mrgreen:
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Send the cop back to the academy for a total reassessment of his ability to perform his duties.
They're lucky the old bloke didn't have a heart attack and die.

On the bright side, at least now we know why they took the guns off the pommy cops :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Maybe they mistook him for Rutger Hauer.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow, just wow.......
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

bulldog1935 wrote:Maybe they mistook him for Ruger Hauer.
(While driving) the other driver yells, Hey buddy, are you blind? Rutger Hauer's character replies yelling with a grin, yeah I am, what's your excuse?

That was a good movie. A little implausible, but I don't watch movies for reality.

If the cops in America would taser a bilind man, then there would be an unscrupulous lawyer at the scene in a New York Minute to make money off of the situation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Bobby's musta though he had one of those Transformer sword/cane's..................................

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

>>>The high street retailer based the policy on the qualifying age for a firearms certificate and says checks are already in place for a range of products, including scissors and adhesives “where an element of common sense” is required.<<<

"Common sense"?? I'm sorry, but the UK has gone completely mad. :(

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gundownunder wrote:They're lucky the old bloke didn't have a heart attack and die.
You're dang right about that - we've had a number of deaths in the US from their use. To my knowledge it's always been someone with a preexisting condition, but still...

Perhaps he's soon to be looking at a nice pay day after suing the gestapo? Dunno, but I hope so because they surely have it coming.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Gee, and to think some of our illustrious elected "duffusis" er, officials, want US to more like Europe. I realize the UK isn't technically Europe, but the government mindset is the same.

A few years back my Wife and I were on vacation in Tenn, touring the Cherokee museum. Some dufas from the UK, actually came up to my wife and I and made some comment about us wishing we were still under the "kings wing". I stood there trying to absorb what this clown meant and my wife tore into him. :shock: I am a bit slow to absorb comments like this sometimes, and a bit slower to anger, but my wife (who's mind is just a bit quicker to figure out when someone is cutting me down) picks it up a lot faster than I do. In the end she finished with " for a bunch of rag tag colonialists, they sure took care of the kings men, didn't they". He just walked off in silence.

She might be a California girl born and raised, but she is patriotic. :D Don't mess with momma bear! hey, the guys lucky our kids are grown. If he'd made the mistake of saying something mean to them, I'd had to pull her off of him. :lol: You can ask my sister if that one is true!!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

handirifle wrote:" for a bunch of rag tag colonialists, they sure took care of the kings men, didn't they".
no offense, but you might want to look at our independence as something totally improbable, and was the hand of God.

At the very least, we were the fallout of a world war between England and France.
At the battle of Yorktown, French troops outnumbered American Colonials (regular and militia) 4 to 1, and there were twice as many Americans in the
British army as there were in the Colonial army.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RE: Rutger Hauer...

The ORIGINAL is a Japanese Serial (movie/TV) called "Zatoichi" about a blind Gambler who wanders into town doing (very bloody) Good...

I have all but 3 DVDs...

Supurb morality plays.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:RE: Rutger Hauer...

The ORIGINAL is a Japanese Serial (movie/TV) called "Zatoichi" about a blind Gambler who wanders into town doing (very bloody) Good...

I have all but 3 DVDs...

Supurb morality plays.
Dang OI, beat me to it. I usually don't like it when a good movie/teleplay is redone in a different setting. About the only one that I've seen that was any good was The Magnificent Seven. And, even then it did miss the mark a bit. Sometime, I wish I understood other languages so that I could understand the original dialog instead of reading the "translations" which usually do loose somethign in translation.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wouldn't Seven Samurai be hilarious with the voice over work usually done on Chinese or Japanese language movies. Mouth makes 3 sentences without a sound, no movement, but the character tells the other that he isn't fast enough.

Maybe the Bobbies were having a bad day because their brains had heated up in their strange looking helmets.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

ID required to buy a gun magazine? Absolutely insane, in the truest meaning of the word.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats it then when I am blind I will get a long sword and paint it white, how bad can it be :roll:

Britain, the land with the mark of IDIOT all over it :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JohndeFresno wrote:
ID required to buy a gun magazine? Absolutely insane, in the truest meaning of the word.
Remember, England has no Bill of Rights. Their only rights are those allowed (once by the crown) and now by the House of Lords and House of Commons. The very fact that the two houses are devided along a caste system pretty much tells the story.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad