Rabbits with the 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Rabbits with the 39A

Post by EdinCT »

I found some old 22 short hollowpoints and tried them in my Marlin 39A. They shot pretty fair so being inspired by Nath I took a walk through the orchard in back of my field and had success. The report was so mild that the sound of the shot hitting seemed just has loud. Two head shots two bunnies and I should of had a third but has I looked I said no its a stump. Then I took a step and the stump ran :P
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rabbits with the 39A

Post by Pete44ru »

Stump's 'll do that on ya................ :roll: . ;)

Nice bag, Ed - those 39a's make nice RF rifles for targets of opportunity.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In west Texas, when we were young, if we got a good freeze before Thanksgiving.
We would get up before sunup and be in cottontail country at first light, we would hunt with our .22's and have cottontail;biscuts & gravy for breakfast on Thanksgiving.
I would bet that's another tradition that has gone by the wayside.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote:In west Texas, when we were young, if we got a good freeze before Thanksgiving.
We would get up before sunup and be in cottontail country at first light, we would hunt with our .22's and have cottontail;biscuts & gravy for breakfast on Thanksgiving.
I would bet that's another tradition that has gone by the wayside.
before i moved out west (lived in NYS) my brother, friend and i would go deer hunting on Thanksgiving morning...that was always fun...sometimes we would get a deer, or a squirrel, and sometimes a rabbit too...no gravy though...boy do i miss those times... :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Makes Panzercat's post seem bittersweet.
I had a tradition, he does not!
Seems sad.
Those cottontails, biscuts & gravy came with hot tea & honey, served by my West Virginia's friends two hot younger sisters.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8) 8) You can come and get mine in when ever your over, I'll supply the ammo :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was always a squirrel guy....pressure cooker the meat off the bones, put the meat the broth in a skillet, and make gravy...served over anything handy. That was back east...there is no squirrel hunting out here in WA :( I would trade blacktail for a good squill season ANY time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Only squirrels in West Texas are ground squirrels.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I was always a squirrel guy....pressure cooker the meat off the bones, put the meat the broth in a skillet, and make gravy...served over anything handy. That was back east...there is no squirrel hunting out here in WA :( I would trade blacktail for a good squill season ANY time.
BLAINEG ... i TOTALLY agree with you... :)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

In my youth, our Thanksgiving tradition was to hunt pheasant or other game birds. We'd hunt in the morning before the main meal of the day. Later, the tradition focused on bowhunting for deer. This year I will either hunt bow in Massachusetts or muzzleloader in Rhode Island.

I'll concur with the loss of some traditions. They are important for the formation of character in young people.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great rifle, great picture! My 39a is the first firearm I ever owned and the last one I would ever part with. It's also responsible for my love of square bolt Marlins.