Two weeks in NY post Hurricane Sandy ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Two weeks in NY post Hurricane Sandy ...

Post by 86er »

On Halloween I headed to my old neighborhoods to help. Getting there was a challenge due to the closed and delayed airports. I flew to Philly and drove the rest of the way. Initially I stayed in NJ at a hotel running on a generator. After the 3rd day I was able to get my companions and I into a very nice hotel in NY at Times Square. My old neighborhoods experienced 9 foot 1 inch and 8 foot 4 inch OVER RECORD high water respectively. Broad Channel will never be the same and was just about wiped out completely. This small island between Rockaway and Howard Beach and surrounded by Gateway National Park is just 1 mile long and 740 yards wide yet it contains around 3000 houses. The water was about 2" onto the second story floor. NYPD and FDNY were distinctly absent on day 1-5 after the storm. A few NYC Sanitation Police were assigned to direct traffic and basically keep spectators out. Nearly all of the islands residents' cars washed away so they have no way to get off the island. Throughout the area, even those with cars cannot get gasoline. The Feds, particularly those 3 letter law enforcement agencies did send Emergency Response Teams for a variety of duties and they picked up the slack where the city and state dropped the ball. FEMA showed up on day 4 and started their processes but they werent up to full assessments and claims submissions until a few days ago. Sadly, homeowners insurance from most companies DOES NOT cover acts of nature. The only flood insurance for homes at or below sea level is through a FEMA Flood Insurance program but this covers structure and not real or tangible property or vehicles or incidentals. In the coastal areas of Long Island and NJ these peoples lives are changed forever. Looting became a big problem that was not publicized by the media. On one street, 4 residents out of 30 stayed the nights without heat, power or water to protect the remaining property. On a neighboring street, many houses were raided in the darkness and 10 people were shot trying to protect themselves (guns are essentially illegal in NYC). The cowards crossed the bridge from Far Rockaway into BC on foot. Eventually the Coast Guard and the Bridge and Tunnel Police set up a solid barricade of cars and officers to keep the Rockaway criminals on their own side of the water.
Long Island has more lenient gun laws and they took a different approach.
Here's the water damage inside one home. Walls torn away, flooring gone...
Water was into the second story or attic on these homes:
These cars were completely submerged and this boat floated into this house after travelling over 400 yards from the water
Fed's helped get water, fuel for heat and dry clothes for these children:
The island of Broad Channel does not get FDNY because of a long history with NYC. Essentially, the City sold the deeds to stilts on which to build houses for $1. It was only within the last 20 years that the island got NYC sewer and garbage pickup. My Grandfather was the councilman that negotiated this and the NYC park on the island is named in his memory as well as the main street through the town; George Riekers Veterans Memorial Park and Blvd. The fire trucks burned when the water shorted electrical systems and the ambulances went under water! I was able to network and get a fire truck donated. The City of Chanhassen, Minnesota gave one up and a freight company donated the transportation.
Photobucket is not cooperating so this will be continued ...
OK - got it going again:
Here's Federal Special Agents looking for those in need of assistance. They didnt have to look far:
This is the street I used to live on. Houseboats on on front lawns and in the street and waterfront houses fell in the bay because the bulkheads were compromised and the sand washed away underneath them. Included is a pic of my old house -what's left of it...

I'm done fighting with photobucket. This has taken over 2.5 hours to edit and get posted.
My song "The Christmas Way" is on a top 10 female country artists Christmas albumn and will be performed at Christmas as the Opry by a different male artist. All the proceeds from this song are going to purchase Christmas gifts and essentials for children that were victims of the storm. You can also contribute by downloading or purchasing my produced version of the song called "The Best Gift of All" on Amazon MP3, IHeart, or wherever you can purchase music on-line.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Two weeks in NY post Hurricane Sandy ...

Post by 86er »

BTW - I tried to catch up with our own Foxtrapper. His neighborhood was hit hard too. I couldnt find him around there and there was no communication. I did check in with PaPaBear and JohnnyYak and they were both okay.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hard to believe.

Photobucket - more options less convenient - less intuitive.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( :( :( :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Prayers up for dealing with all that.

Nature is harsh and powerful. :|

Photobucket 'beta' sucks worse than 'alpha' did...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up. Thanks for what you ddid and are doing. I'm also thankful that you're in TX! As for PB, on the upper right there's a "button" that'll convert you back to the old look and controls.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

more prayers for the folks clobbered by the storm.

thanks for your photos. better than anything I've seen from the "news media".

these pictures help to understand how wild it got there. it could take a generation to recover from this.

Blessings to the hurting ones

Grizz
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Wow! Glad you were able to get back and help! What a mess!

Griff wrote:Prayers up. Thanks for what you ddid and are doing. I'm also thankful that you're in TX! As for PB, on the upper right there's a "button" that'll convert you back to the old look and controls.

Yes, but it doesn't help any with visitors (no more slide show), or if you want to stop in to grab some pics to post and dont want to sign in. I rarely sign in when I look at my pics or grab pics to post. The new beta system is horrible! I hate it! Customer support sent ideas to help, none of which helped in any way.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

I know all about it. I (we, down South) had Katrina, in 2005. Your pictures could be my pictures. Your experience is my experience. The greatest difference is that we had sweltering heat & no breeze. My heart goes out to all concerned. They will be affected by this, for many, many years to come.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Really glad you live in Texas these days!!

Thanks for the photos. Doesn't surprise me that we didn't hear about all the looting and violence on tv. Pretty sad.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Joe thanks for all your help.
sorry I could not get there to help them I was bussy in Lindhurst helping soem freinds there
Papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Those pictures look like here (FL) after a couple of the hurricanes I've (barely) survived. Like Hagler said, Joe's pictures could be our pictures. Same destruction. And people's lives turned upside down for a long, long time.

Joe, you are a darn good man for getting up there to lend a hand. I'm sorry that your old home and your old neighborhood got hurt so badly.

One time after we'd gotten hammered here by an especially bad hurricane you could see the looks on people's faces. It is a look you'll never forget. An older Vietnam Veteran told me "that's the look you'd see on the guys faces after they've seen things that they wished they hadn't." To me, that said it.

Joe, again, more power to you and your friends too. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

It brings back a lot of memories of the Charleston area after Hugo in '89. There were a whole lot of things seen that we wished we hadn't.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Nice work Joe, and good of you to help...and I do think I saw a smile there for a moment. Our thoughts, prayers, and what we could afford money wise from California is with the families and relief efforts, terrible storm.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hey Hagler-

I was at Katrina too. To me the difference is that in LA people took the storm seriously but underestimated it somewhat. In NY and NJ the storm was overwhelmingly taken lightly and met with disbelief. In LA and particularly NO, looting started almost immediately and neighbors raided stores and others in their own area. In NY and NJ the neighborhoods were looted by travelers from other areas and only at night. As far as destruction it was very similar and a de'Javue for me.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Joe,
Thanks for your efforts and reports.
Your observations on the pre-hurricane preparation or lack thereof match those of an insurance appraiser friend who spent months working Katrina and is now working the Sandy damage on the Jersey shore. She reports that the insurance adjusters were prepped before the storm hit, staged close to the area, and were on site as soon as they were allowed into the damaged areas.

She and associates actually helped FEMA staff unload their vehicles as they were already there doing appraisals. She also reports after dark raids on homes by criminals from out of the damaged neighborhoods; this seems to be common after such disasters. I find it interesting that the insurance companies have disaster plans and sem to be able to execute them so much more efficiently than FEMA.

It is a shame that with advance notice of more than a week, more of the residents could not or would not be better prepared. Though vacating shore property could not avoid property damage or destruction, it could have saved lives and valuables. Possibly some residents were reluctant to evacuate because they knew their homes would be robbed and vandalized. :(
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Is there anything we can do to help you?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

Thanks for that comparison. Thanks for all that you have done, too.

Here are a few pictures, from hurricane Katrina, from the Chalmette area, just so others can see the similarity:

Some of the residents had a sense of humor:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I grew up 12 miles from the ocean.

Stuff like this is why I don't live there anymore.

I've dealt with earthquakes, storms, tornadoes, and other random events.

I'll stick with tornadoes for now.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

DixieBoy wrote:Joe, you are a darn good man for getting up there to lend a hand. I'm sorry that your old home and your old neighborhood got hurt so badly.
+1 on all counts!