Thanksgiving ..... long ago and far away

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Thanksgiving ..... long ago and far away

Post by J Miller »

Back before my grand mom died in 88 my family in Arizona always met where ever she was on Thanksgiving. Mom and myself, my aunt Sheri and her family, aunt Dorothy and her family, and once in a while one of my Great Aunts would all join us at Grand moms place. She was the matriarch of our family and when she died, my mom did everything she could to keep the tradition going. But she couldn't.
Over the years the family grew apart. Petty bickering finally tore it apart.

Towards the end of 98 things seemed to be improving but not enough. Then mom died and I'm in IL and in the last 12 years many friends and family members have died. My wife's mother died February of this year. So for another year it will be just the two of us on Thanksgiving.

The two of us and our cats that is. At least they'll waddle away stuffed and happy.

I've said all this to say to those of you that have families; to mend the problems if you can. Heal the wounds and reconcile the relations if at all possible.
Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and others don't live forever. When each dies, we loose a piece of ourselves.

HAPPY THANKS GIVING guys.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thanksgiving ..... long ago and far away

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Joe, I can't even begin to tell You the memories that brings back. We always always had get togethers on the Holidays "all of them". This year My Daughter is Hosting Thanksgiving as My House is tore up for remodeling. Hopefully CHRISTMAS will be here. Point being We try to keep it together.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING one and all.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well,
For me, there is only my half-brother in Paulsbo left.
So, I don't have the real strong, nostalgic tie to the holidays that others have.
Still I wish others good times and communal happiness.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Joe, I believe most of us have similar memories. Family life used to be more grand. At one time, most families stuck together, well, they needed each other. Then as the money grew, it became easier to tell others to "bug off". Just look at how many Hollywood families break apart. Money destroys.

I know the feeling. My family members are either dead or moved away.------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Yea Joe, I believe most of us have similar memories. Family life used to be more grand. At one time, most families stuck together, well, they needed each other. Then as the money grew, it became easier to tell others to "bug off". Just look at how many Hollywood families break apart. Money destroys.

I know the feeling. My family members are either dead or moved away.------Sixgun
Yep. Good advice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Haven't had any members to say "bug off", but have had several to pass. Several years ago we started the tradition of putting out the same white tablecloth at Thanksgiving. After dinner, everyone was asked to sign and date the tablecloth. Now, that same tablecloth has many signatures of folks that are no longer with us. When I see those, the good times are sometimes overwhelmed by the grief of their absense.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What is the lesson of it all?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You sure are'nt alone Joe. We used to have Grand Hollidays in our Family with too much of everything and the Guys would go out and Hunt in the morning and Eat and drink and act like fools that night. All the old Folks passed and now we are replaceing them in a Hurry.the places We Hunted 35 years ago now are 400K houses on 2 acre lots with Yuppies who have it made. :lol: :lol: :lol: . one thing for sure is that None of the Family .....WANTS......to have much fun anymore..moan groan and CRAB about everything that is wrong.
It's all pretty funny when All of us will be gone pretty soon...And So it Goes. :shock: .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:What is the lesson of it all?

OS,
The lesson here is that you never pass up an opportunity to acquire a new indentation and we see you are the winner. :D See? Make sense? (I seldom do)---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD