Sat out in the cold for two days for nothing...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Sat out in the cold for two days for nothing...

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

...but I did catch up on some z's here and there. Even if you don't see anything, it is still incredibly peaceful.

And to prove it wasn't my intentions to go out and just sleep...I brought this, just in case you know.

Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sat out in the cold for two days for nothing...

Post by alnitak »

Sorry to hear your efforts didn't produce meat, but still seems like it was a worthy endeavor. Nice scenery...a man needs to be alone with his thoughts every now and then...preferably while in tune with nature.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sorry u came home with no meat. Perhaps next time
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Me Too
Saw only one doe and she fed in front of me for 2 hours
but you would never find her in this pic.. I am more than 25' up a pine
she is in the florida hollies on the other side of the palmettos...
most of it is above her head...Most of the time all you would see is the top of the bush moving.
she came out of this stuff...theres a trail , a tunnel really, about half way up the pic
foggy morning....and nothin,...but birds and bald eagle

hope you have better luck next time and nice shooter
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sorry ya didnt get anything yet, but thanks for posting another pix of your gun,I have a mount
& scope for a 94, I took it off the gun without shooting it, your pix is telling me maybe I should
re think my thinking, or maybe its my age :idea:

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: I truly feel your pain.....All in all this deer/elk/late buck season(s) I was 14 or 15 days without. Saw a spike during elk season, and heard a few elk during elk season, high and dry on bucks during buck season, no bear, or lion either......I had a grand (if wet) fall....looking forward to next year. I'm sorry you didn't get anything as you were prolly colder than we were.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

To the OP's thread title, sure been there and done that - two days nothing but cold one year I remember in particular. Back in 1971, my dad and I were taken by a neighbor-friend (150 miles in the back of an then-old Scout) to a spot in N. Arizona. Next morning at 4 o'clock and about 10 degrees, we got up, broke camp and rode another five miles on jeep roads to a spot "guaranteed." Nothing, not a squirrel, rabbit or even the usually ever-present guardian of the forests, the bluejay (what we would have given even to hear one of those sounding off!). We had very similar views to the OP's pics. Gorgeous mix of pine, spruce, aspen, some hardwoods and an enticing meadow. The kind of environment you say "if I were a deer, I'd definitely be here!"

Discouraged, next day we worked a similar area a few miles over that included a more "obvious" watering hole versus the intermittent seepage creeks we'd seen earlier. No fresh or even "semi" fresh prints!! No fresh sign of any sort anywhere. Not even a coyote. That whole second day we saw and heard nothing again. Learned later that some college professor had studied and identified the area as "temporarily biologically dormant" - fauna challenged (my words--long time ago!) or some such for some odd reason (he speculated a variety of reasons IIRC)! Sure wish we'd seen that article earlier! Truly wierd. Our friend, who'd had great success with elk and mulies in the area in years prior was dumbfounded. Those two days, he'd worked an area about five miles over with similar observations except a few small birds. All that time I don't think it got above 25 or at best freezing - still cold of the penetrating kind.

Still, those few days we had that great high country air and the type of good time with my dad I sure miss these days. I'll take a lot of those without taking any quarry versus hunting success without him any day! Of course, the best is with both!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Opening day had a big doe show up. Had a land-owner's anterless tag & decided I'd harvest her. Just then fawn steps out of brush and approaches her to nurse.

Couldn't shoot a mom. Satisfied just to watch them for a few minutes.

Brought home a nice Christmas tree.
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

We got skunked for animals due to wind and wolves but time in the woods is never a waste. Some of my clearest thinking is done sitting on the side of a tree...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Worst day of hunting better than best day at work. :wink:

Lovely scenery, thank you for sharing those pictures. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BedroomHowitzer wrote:...but I did catch up on some z's here and there. Even if you don't see anything, it is still incredibly peaceful.
Yep. That's often the best part.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've sat out for days with no deer to show for my efforts but, like you say, it was a great time anyway to catch up on some Z's and slow down and unwind in God's creation.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Some of my most memorable hunting days did not end in a deer harvested. Of course those that did were always great days.

Beautiful country, no jerks, no traffic, no cell phone, can't be all bad!!!