Browning 1886 vs. Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 1886 vs. Winchester

Post by Dastook »

Is there any real difference between the modern Browning and Winchester 1886's? Are they not the same rifle made to the same specs in Muroko, Japan or however it is spelled? Also is there a difference in compared value?
Last edited by Dastook on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

i would be interested in the difference too. the browning appears anyway to look a little more classy but maybe it's me.
g rice
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modern Winchester 1886s differ from the Browning 1886s in that they have a tang safety and rebounding hammer and the parts changed to accomodate that. Miroku has provided consistently good quality to their production since at least 1986. The cosmetics, ie. the finish is a matter of specifications from the powers-that-be and some of those decisions are based on branding. IOW, they want their different models to look alike in regard to bluing and stock finish. I imagine that cost is also a consideration.

Compare these guns to older, "original" 1886s and the real differences are in metalurgical advances and in the consistency of the materials used. Some of those comparisons must be specific in that the guns were made from 1886 to after WWII (with the M71).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Depends on what differences you consider important.

The Brownings are better finished regarding the metal parts, meaning a better polish and nicer blue finish. The Brownings also do not have the rebounding hammer or tang safety. In other words, the Brownings are more like original older Winchester 1886's than the new Winchesters are. For some of us, these differences are worth paying extra for if we have the chance.

To take it an extra step further, many consider the Browning 1886's to be as close to gunmaking perfection as we are ever realistically going to see. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Malamute wrote:Depends on what differences you consider important.

The Brownings are better finished regarding the metal parts, meaning a better polish and nicer blue finish. The Brownings also do not have the rebounding hammer or tang safety. In other words, the Brownings are more like original older Winchester 1886's than the new Winchesters are. For some of us, these differences are worth paying extra for if we have the chance.

To take it an extra step further, many consider the Browning 1886's to be as close to gunmaking perfection as we are ever realistically going to see. :D
Ditto 100%
Model A Uzi’s
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

OK, now ya'll did it. Your making me want to sell my Win and find a Browning.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would say that for the most part, they are all pretty well made. Hobie pretty well nailed it there. I own one Browning 86SRC and I used to own a Winchester Extra Lightweight with the rebounding hammer and tang safety. Both were accurate guns, but IMHO the older Browning has a much smoother action. The Winchester also gave me a little bit of a problem, on kicking up the elevator, I had to remember to bottom the lever out pretty hard, definately harder then required on the Browning, or I would sometimes fail to pick up the next round from the tube magazine and end up with an empty chamber. Then later it developed misfiring problems due to the rebounding hammer spring problems. So I sold it.

The Browning does not seem to be plagued by an of these problems, so it is much perferred by me.

I have also owned two of the newer Winchester 95's, and still own one Browning 95. Once again the Browning has a much smoother action, I mean a lot smoother action. The first Winchester 95 I purchased was the first one I ever saw, and it was in .270 win, I did have a feed problem with it, the bullets would stick on the ramp, sometimes. I eventually fell out of love with it, and later found one in 30-06, this was a better gun and worked better, without any feeding problems, I kept it for a few years, until I found the Browining 95 at a gunshop and had to have it, when I decided that I liked it much better, I sold the Winchester. I can't ever see parting with the Browning, until I am too old to make use of it.

I also own a highgrade Browning 92, and I have been very happy with it. And the action is butter smooth.

So, bottom line, I will take one of the older Brownings every time, over the newer Winchesters with the tang safetys and rebounding hammers. I have just had so much better luck with them.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, my only complaint about either is I can't seem to live without a pile of them! :lol: :lol:

My Brownings do seem to have a smoother action than their Winchester marked counter parts. I suspect it may have something to do with the modifications made in regards to rebounding hammer and safety. That said, the actions on both are excellent in terms of a hunting rifle.

As far as shooting, I can't tell a dimes difference. Both shoot extremely well in terms of accuracy, in fact, I think My Winchester 95 will outshoot my Browning 1895.

As far as finish, some of the early Winchester limited editions came with a flat dull finish that I didn't care for, but was certainly acceptable on a hunting rifle, and I understand it is tough, and performs well under harsh conditions. Most of the other Winchester versions are finished as good or better than the Browning, IMHO. My 1895 Winchester SRC is MUCH better finished than my Browning 1895 - both wood and metal. The blue on that W95 SRC is so deep you could fall into it! I just sold a Winchester 1886 EL that was finished better than my B1886 heavy rifle.

The bottom line is that Miruku builds beautiful, high quality guns, and a fella can't do much better with either the Browning or the Winchester. Folks with a more traditional view will prefer the Browning. Personally, I don't get much heartburn over rebounding hammers and safeties! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

never owned a hi dollar custom rifle, nor handled one. but it must be something if built better than my browning src. beautifully made firearm.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I own both presafety and saftied guns and can not tell any difference in workmanship between them. They all exhibit quality throughout. 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

1886 wrote:I own both presafety and saftied guns and can not tell any difference in workmanship between them. They all exhibit quality throughout. 1886.
Same here. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd like to add that I don't consider differences in polishing levels to necessarily be a difference in quality. Others do feel that way. Part of the Browning branding is the high level of polish. It is really good on the Browning SRC I own (and on the 1895).

I've handled, worked the action on the later Winchester guns but not shot them. There could be things one misses there. Also, one can get used Browning guns for less than new Winchesters. That's a consideration for me.

Just to comment on a digression, my Browning 1895 is slicker than snot! I've never operated ANY gun that is as slick as that one. I expected a lot of kerchunkalunkin from that seemingly ungainly action but move the lever and the bolt sails back and forth like it is riding on oiled glass and that's feeding that .30-40 rimmed round. I LOVE it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:
Malamute wrote:Depends on what differences you consider important.

Ditto 100%
Ditto Sixgun's Ditto! :D
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've had both, unfortunately my Winchester '86 in .33 was traded along time ago and left me with only memories. From what I can recall, it was a fine gun and being used, had alot of character marks. It was made in 1927 and all in all it was on par with all Winchester products from that day. My current Browning 1886 though is by far superior in the fit and finish area, also it is the Winchester's equivalent in function. Can not compare it to the Miruku(sp?) Winchester 1886 because the only on I have is a 1895 .405 TD.

ImageImage
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think the browning offers better fit and finish and metulurgy than the winchester. here is mine: [img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... 94/008.jpg[/img][/img]
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I wish I could post some photos of the 1886 deluxe takedown I got last year-- it has to be seen to appreciate the great workmanship.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Fit and finish can be different on Browning and Winchester copies, but the metallurgy is the same on both.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I wish I could post some photos of the 1886 deluxe takedown I got last year-- it has to be seen to appreciate the great workmanship.
Well, this is not a deluxe, but a pretty nice rifle IMHO! :wink:

I actually prefer the Win finish on the wood to the finish on the Browning.

Dang, I love these rifles!:wink:

Wish I had a time machine! I am still kicking myself for trading off a complete set - with matching numbers - of the 1886, 1886 SRC, Model 71 carbine, and 1895 Brownings. One each of grade one and high grade. :cry: Oh the follies of youth! :roll:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva