OT - The Things I Learned Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

OT - The Things I Learned Today

Post by Killer Kanuck »

1) Medium sized skunk trap and a medium sized skunk don't necessary work well together.

2) A skunk can look you dead in the eye, while at the same time pointing its schincter at you.

3) Skunk spray is roughly the color of Mountain Dew.

4) I have quite good reflexes for a man my size.

5) 12g 2-3/4" #2 Winchester Heavy Game Loads will mess up a skunk.

Things I hope to Learn Tomorrow:

1) That a day of rain will wash away the skunk smell from a back yard.

2) That 12g 2-3/4" #2 Winchester Heavy Game Loads will not FUBAR a brand new skunk trap.

:D
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - The Things I Learned Today

Post by handirifle »

:D :D :D :D

Been there done that
Killer Kanuck wrote:Things I hope to Learn Tomorrow:

1) That a day of rain will wash away the skunk smell from a back yard.
:D
Don't count on it. The smell kinda grows on ya :shock: :?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I hope never to learn that first-hand!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

So did you get sprayed?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One night a skunk just WALKED between my little dog and the house. The dog barked and lunged but did not get sprayed. In fact the skunk kept walking. The smell was in the house, through the back door, for a week, through 3 rains. Rain does NOT wash away skunk smell. I think moisture helps hold the stink in place.

I've said it before and it works, when you smell skunk think lemonade. Try it, it works (to make the stink less offensive). :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

skunks are the worst. I have droped them with .22 , bow,rifle but
that #2 shot is the ticket. Their spray is some kind of oil.I have
heard that liquid soap mixed with peroxide will breakdown the oil
rid the smell.Just when you think its gone water will make it come
back.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That was d*%# funny and I don't care who you are.

I read it to my wife and I was laughing harder the second time.

Killer Kanuck, I haven't seen you posting or active in a long time. Wassup wit dat?
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My girlfriends dog got skunked, we used a VERY big can of tomatoe juice on it, it worked ( kind of ) everytime, for a long time after; she got wet , we could smell it
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

The School of Hard Knocks doesn't have "time outs".
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

That reminds me of a story I have, about riding a horse home after dark, one night.

Back in the eairly 70's, when I was a teenager too young to drive, a horse was my only transportation, and I was riding home from a revival one night about 10pm in the summer, the moon was out and I could see pretty good.

We had had a bad wind storm, and there was big oak tree still across the road, blocking my way home. So I had to open a gate on the farm, enter this field, and ride for about a half a mile, and come out another gate. I was short loping my horse across the field, when about the time I got to this wet weather creek, I saw something run under my horse's legs. It didn't take long to figure out what it was. I had startled a Skunk and it must have been spraying to beat high heaven, because he throughly sprayed me, my boots, my saddle, my horse, everthing.

An old trapper told me to smoke everything in cedar smoke, which I did, except for the horse, and it worked pretty good. I was able to wear my boots again, and bring my saddle back in the house, afterwards.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

PLEASE tell me someone was running video on this!:lol:

You could probably win one of those "funny video" show contests...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yep.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Ewwwwwwwww :o
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Too funny. When I lived in San Diego, the neighbors on the side and back of me had an outdoor wooden patio where a troop of skunks lived under and, fruit trees which said troop loved.

Every night the procession of the striped kittys went from under that outdoor patio, under my fence and bedroom window, then under the fence again to the fruit trees and then back again some time later. I learned to live with it for a while. Went on vacation for a week and the dog sitters wound up letting the dogs, after having been sprayed, back into the house before discovering they were covered in this fragrance. He quickly tried to get them in the garage and they thought the game should go through the whole house, including on my bed. He caught them and kept them in the garage after bathing them for the four days until I go home. He left the house closed up. What a pleasant surprise when we got home.

I declared war on the rascals and the box trap was called into play. First night I caught a litlle one, and mother and family tried to get the offspring out of the trap by digging holes al around the trap. Now I had neighbors all around so I could not shoot a firearm in the back yard. Being in the tree hugging state of California, I tried to see if the tree huggers were skunk huggers. Sure enough, there was a skunk rescue place not too far from me. Only problem, I had to bring the skunks to them. Told the lady on the phone that she just signed their death warrant.

Loaded up my pellet pistol and terminated the skunk in the cage. He died by vacating his scent glands. Smelled like powerful strong onions. Dumped him into two trash bags and into the trash. Over the next week I did the same for 7 more skunks. The neighborhood stunk for weeks. I eventually dug the dirt up where they all died, removed it to some canyon a few miles away and replaced the dirt. Neighbors were in an uproar over the little guys but I never told them I was shooting them.

Whole bunch of the neighbors had to sleep with the windows shut for about a month. That was about how long it took me to wash every carpet and every piece of funiture, the walls and such in the house. Nice that the outside and inside smell went away about the same time. I didn't entertain much until the smell was gone.

I wish you luck with your problem. I have been told since that all I had to do was cover the trap with a towel or something and then transport the live skunk to a release point and then open the trap and let it walk out.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Me thinks your abode is going to smell awfully pungant for quite some time! :shock:

(My little tribute to WF Buckley! :wink:)
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

Occasionally one of the coon dogs will take it into their mind to stretch a skunk. I always carry a bottle of XO with me. Great stuff and works extremely well. Do a google search for "XO" if you think you might need some.
Any Time, Any Place
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

MikeS. wrote:So did you get sprayed?
I got sprayed at, but somehow managed to jump out of the way. I didn't think my 6'2" 250lb frame would move that quick, but it did. :lol:

The whole reason I was after this guy was he had taken up residency under the extension of my house - right under the living room. And let's just say he got nervous one night.

So the way I figure it, I can put up with the smell in the backyard - it's a hell of a lot better than that smell being under my living room.

FYI - I picked up this spray at Walmart called Air Sponge - works great at getting that smell out of the house. Either that or my sense of smelled is just permanently FUBAR'd.

And feel free to laugh - I know I am about the whole thing. :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Nasty critters!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Go buy a 6 pack of cheap beer, put it in a lawn sprayer, and add just a little dishwashing soap and spray generously.

It works......don't ask me how I know.

Wm
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Welcome to the Skunk club. :lol:

I got acquainted with skunks back when I was trapping in middle school. They always seem to look at you on their last dieing breath and let loose with the stink.

I actually skinned one once after I shot it in a trap. I had some crazy idea about making me a skunk hat. Luckily that idea lost most of its pizazz on day 2 of fleshing the hide and ended up in the dump.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

One time early one morn as I was getting my coffee.. I notice our cat eating at her food dish in the laundry room next to our kitchen..but hey I'd just saw that black & white mouser sleeping on the couch..No way she could have got by me and be eating..Well you guessed it.. A skunk..Yes they do look you in the eye and aim.. I backed slowly away realizing the full consequence of a skunk letting loose in our house..Lucky enough for me the thing was wary enough to decide to leave then..Needless to say the pet door has stayed locked every night since then!!
Moth crystals & moth balls work good for making skunks leave from under a shed, porch whatever.. The most creative approach I ever heard of to make the little buggers vacate a premises.. A guy put speakers under his house & played loud rock music... He said they must have hated it pretty good..He discovered when he went to get his speakers the skunks had thrown dirt on them he supposed in an effort to bury them..lol
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :lol: :D That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

#2 steel shot has to be the best d.r.t. on skunks
i have ever seen .the warden out at the marsh used to pay 5.00
for each one that i shot.
covered a whole box of re-loaded shells ,didnt let smell
get in my way back then, especially as my huntin dog must have thought they tasted good or something.
never seen a dog get sprayed in the mouth so many times.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a ford tractor with 6 volt electric... If any of you guys know about old 6 volt tractors they always need a jump or a little work to get em running after a layoff.

Pulled the pickup down to the tractor and left the doors open on the driver side.... got the tractor started.

Hit the lever to pick up the 3 point lift and brush mower...THUMP... something got tossed out from the deck and hit the truck.

The skunk missed going into the cab by 6 inches or so. He was DOA.... and he didnt break open.

I scooped the dead wood ***** on to a shovel and took his carcass WAY out back and tossed it for the scavengers.

~Hill