Smart-phone advice for a phone techno-dummy...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Smart-phone advice for a phone techno-dummy...?

Post by AJMD429 »

My cans-with-strings that has an abacus for data-management just doesn't cut it anymore so I have to get a "smart phone" of some sort for work.

For work-purposes, it has to have a screen you can write on so letter-recognizer software can allow input by 'printing' and tapping, etc.

For 'me' purposes, it should be pretty durable if sat on or spilled on or dropped from a reloading bench or deer stand.

Any of you guys have ones you think are really great or really wish you hadn't bought...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Smart-phone advice for a phone techno-dummy...?

Post by Bridger »

I too am about to get a smartphone, and I think I have settled on an iphone variant with a lifeproof case, which is virtually indestructible. Heck, you can even take pictures underwater with it. It is also suppose to be a very secure platform, moreso than a droid they tell me.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Much as I despise Apple the Iphone seems to be the way to go right now. :( My android phone works pretty well as a phone but a coworkers hung up on over half his incoming calls today and he just got it today. This is not him fat fingering it as this phone is the same model as his previous phone that he had replaced due to the same ( though it was less severe) amongst other issues. Different model and manufacturer than mine but still in your business it needs to just work and at the moment getting that in Android seems hit and miss at best. :(
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have an Android. The HTC a couple of years old. I don't know if it does the handwriting on the screen thing. But, I think there are two models after mine! Not needed for my purposes. But, with some box and rubber thingie around it... virtually indestructible. I've sat on it (rather regularly as I often put it in my back pocket), dropped it from eye-level and it's still workin'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I will at this point mention that my android phone that works pretty well is another htc phone as with Griffs. My coworkers is not.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I bought one of the first Droid Incredible smart phones that came out not quite three years ago. Made by HTC.....It still works just fine, and I'm pleased with it, and will probably get another. The I-Phone is very popular, but, not the best IMO.

I keep the screen cleaned with Pledge (just like my glasses) and it is not scratched up, and I don't use one of those silly screen thingies....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For the Novice, my advice is (eeek...) Go to Wally World.

Buy a "Straight Talk" Smart Phone for $180-$250 cash and go with the $45/mo "Unlimited" no-contract plan.

Yes, it's more money "up front"... but it doesn't lock you into a $80+/mo contract for 24+ months.

I just bought the $179 LG "slider" (full keyboard) Phone as my dedicated "Schwan's Phone" for my Route Customers. I have full access to my Email and Leverguns (and about everything else) as much as I like, as well as "unlimited" phone & text for a flat $45/every 30 days.

Compared to my "personal" phone, same features but less "talk minutes" per month - for $70/mo - it's a steal.

If you like the "no Keyboard" "i-(diot) phone" experience, then there is a $250 Samsung phone available. Beware of the $69 special LG though. It is NOT a "smart phone" and does NOT have the functionality necessary to do the things people expect of a Smart Phone.

When my "contract" phone expires (a Motorola "Droid 2"), I'm moving the number to my "Straight Talk" LG slider phone...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Droid Cassio Comando. Shock proof and water proof to 3 ft.

I just didn't care for the Apple only thing. As I see it with them you can only have what they ALLOW you to have. Droid seems more open. I can also replace my battery if need be.

The wife has a Razor Max and loves it. It is hr first smart phone and she doesn't even come close to using all the features.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Had a Samsung Galaxy and liked it pretty well. No complaints. Got an Iphone 5 and I love it. I use my phone to talk, text, the occasional picture, and listening to music. Not much else. The Iphone does the picture and music better than any other phone I've ever owned. I don't run out and get a phone every 6 months like some people, so my experience is limited. These days all the smart phones do pretty much the same things.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

shooter wrote:... These days all the smart phones do pretty much the same things.
Agreed. Which is why I can hardly conscience ANY "contract" phone with ANY carrier.

IMO at this juncture, and until the foreseeable future, "contract" phones will be a huge waste of money for anyone but "bleeding edge" techies and Style Slaves.

There are plenty of "no contract" plans out there any more. IMO the most cost effective is the Straight Talk setup from Wal Mart, but there are others.

Straight Talk uses the Verizon/CDMA 3G system in most, if not all markets.

IMEX the CDMA/Verizon system has the widest coverage in the US - though there are a few places in the boonies (like where I live) that GSM/AT&T works where CDMA/Verizon doesn't.

But over all, with specific US & European exceptions, IMO CDMA/Verizon is better than GSM (SIM card)/AT&T.

And in the US non-contract Smart Phone Market, that means Straight Talk @ WalMart.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

The only good thing about Verizon in my experience is the coverage. Unfortunately in my line of work cell phone coverage is everything. At work we literally plan our vacations around Verizon coverage Not being available were we plan to stay! That way our (unfortunate) co-workers get to take the support calls. :(
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

as far as coverage, ATT wins. I get signal in the boonies of AK and WA state, deep in KS, all over home (TX) - even the north slope - even Dalhart. (also worldwide)
As far as cost/service, anybody else wins.

I like my droid. I've stuck with HTC because to me their screens have the best resolution.

I'm not an aps buyer. I want a cell phone, internet, and e-mail when I'm in the boonies, and that's pretty much it for me.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bulldog1935 wrote:as far as coverage, ATT wins. I get signal in the boonies of AK and WA state, deep in KS, all over home (TX) - even the north slope - even Dalhart. (also worldwide)
As far as cost/service, anybody else wins.

I like my droid. I've stuck with HTC because to me their screens have the best resolution.

I'm not an aps buyer. I want a cell phone, internet, and e-mail when I'm in the boonies, and that's pretty much it for me.
Well, you don't want to bring your AT&T phone to Eastern WY then...;)

My experience with ATT/GSM vs Verizon/CDMA is exactly opposite of yours.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I encounter large dead spots with AT&T 100 miles outside Detroit.

Live a block away from Lake St. Clair (7 miles in circumference). Can't get a signal at home because there's no towers in the lake or, so they say.

Get billed for Canadian calls when I'm in my my wife's offfice in downtown Detroit (Canada 1/2 mile away).
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

A lot of your experience will have to do with the quality of your coverage, since Android and Apple are both competent operating systems in my opinion. Even if your phone doesn't do handwriting recognition straight out of the box, chances are "there's an app for that" on both platforms. For example.

Now for the personal opinion part... Unless you can get a competitively priced deal on an iPhone, Android phones will probably provide you with far more and cheaper options depending on how budget you want to go. I have an Optimus V... It's a decent piece of hardware, but as mentioned before the carrier (Virgin) kinda sucks. It was a deal, however. $90 out the door, no contract + 2 memory cards and a blue tooth earpiece. I purchased mine from Wirefly. I'd recommend them (but I don't see the Optimus there anymore). Still, with all the specials around this time of year you're bound to find something.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am impressed,
considering they turn off the lights with a hammer in Dalhart.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

iPhones are good, the 4 is going at a discount now because the 5 is out. I've got a 4 from my company. Excellent phone, as are all products from Apple. Steep learning curve for me. There are many, many features on the iPhone that I and my co-workers are still discovering.

Only issue to the negative for the iPhone is its size, it's a bit small for us knuckle draggers. I feel like I'm I bear on a tricycle in a Shriner's parade when I'm trying to text.

Other phone I have is the Motorola Razr Maxxx. It is somewhat ruggedized for the chassis. It also has the Gorilla glass on the screen a brand name for an improved hardened glass. By the way, you should have bought stock in the company that makes it a year or two ago. Just sayin'.

For any smartphone, unless you're in a technical field like mine or very so inclined, you're going to have an 'adventure' learning all the neat bells and whistles. They can be beyond useful but very frustrating to a new user.

For mine, I bang the dickens out of the map function when I travel. For finding my work site, hotel, nearby restaurants or navigating around when someone does something stupid on the freeway. Also once we got them, my family communicates more via text than we ever talked before.

Let me know if any questions.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It looks like folks who show me their Iphones say they don't have the ability to 'write on the screen' so that software can recognize letters you print, but their screen is obviously touch-sensitive so they should have that ability if the software for the device is written to take advantage of the screen that way. Anyone know for sure?

The software version of Epocrates I use and like best (on an older Samsung device) allows me to look up "furosemide" by just scratching the letter "f" in a small 'dialog box', then "u" (ok bad example, I'm realizing... :oops: ), then "r" and by that time "furor" and "furosemide" and "furniture" would appear and I just tap the middle word. Much nicer than trying to 'type' on tiny keys (I like the Shriner's parade comment above).

I guess I get to go the phone-store tomorrow with my office manager. Oh how I just love shopping. At the mall. During holidays. Maybe the Gander Mountain down the road will have them instead... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:It looks like folks who show me their Iphones say they don't have the ability to 'write on the screen' so that software can recognize letters you print, but their screen is obviously touch-sensitive so they should have that ability if the software for the device is written to take advantage of the screen that way. Anyone know for sure?

The software version of Epocrates I use and like best (on an older Samsung device) allows me to look up "furosemide" by just scratching the letter "f" in a small 'dialog box', then "u" (ok bad example, I'm realizing... :oops: ), then "r" and by that time "furor" and "furosemide" and "furniture" would appear and I just tap the middle word. Much nicer than trying to 'type' on tiny keys (I like the Shriner's parade comment above).

I guess I get to go the phone-store tomorrow with my office manager. Oh how I just love shopping. At the mall. During holidays. Maybe the Gander Mountain down the road will have them instead... :D
Shop online....might even get a deal, and free shipping this time of year. They are so easy to set up, even a Phd can do it, or get their youngest kid to do it for them :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have an I-Phone 4S that my son picked out for me earlier this year. It is the only experience that I have with "smart phones". Before this phone I didn't even know how to text. I really like it. I probably use the internet more now, since I've started using this phone, than I ever have.

My son lives in Charleston, SC and with this thing we "talk" virtually every day. Sending pictures and messages back and forth.

My work calendar is linked to the google calendar installed on the phone. I have access to my work e-mail (I don't use e-mail at home). This phone has been a great time saver and huge benefit to me both at work and at home, and it is my personal phone - my company provided phone is just a phone, no frills, nothing extra, no e-mail or internet access. I even have calls from my work phone forwarded to me on my I-Phone after hours and on weekends. Company won't pay for air time/data time but the convenience is well worth it to me. Heck, without my job, I couldn't afford the I-Phone.

I access this site (levergunscommunity) more with the I-Phone, before I could only log in if I was in my office (which most days, I am out in the field), or on my wife's computer at home. Now, if I have a break no matter where I am, I can read through the forum posts. It's made a big difference when trying to buy stuff off of forum classifieds - not sure that is a really good thing...

I guess that I just cannot say enough good things about it, except to reaffirm that I really am happy with this phone.

And I am not a computer guy.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I just switched after years from the BlackBerry to the iPhone. I really like the e-mail and internet capabilities of the latter much better. If it was for my personal use though, I'd consider the new Samsung Galaxy III. One of my direct reports, who has a company-paid SmartPhone, actually carries the SG3 for personal use just because he likes it so much.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have the iPhone 5 and wife has the Samsung Galaxy S3. Both are great phones. Actually, "phone" is a bit of underkill in describing these devices! As for the write on the screen feature, I have not come across it, but I will bet there is an app available for both Apple and Andorid platforms. FWIW, I find both phones to be user friendly. I prefer the larger screen on the S3, and I also think it has better camera features. I went with the iphone5 because I also use an Apple laptop. You can get cases for either that will protect them from all but the worst mishap.

Tip: Shop for cases on ebay. You can get a NIB one for 1/5th the cost in your local phone store!

In these parts, Verison is the way to go, unless you don't want to be bothered with phone calls! In that case, go with ATT and you will never have to answer another call!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva