Let's Build A Shiloh Sharps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Let's Build A Shiloh Sharps

Post by Blaine »

Time to start thinning the herd, and ordering a Bucket Rifle while I still have time to enjoy it. I'm about half way saving up for one, but, since it takes awhile to get them, I might just have to take a motorcycle ride over there when the weather warms, and spend a long weekend picking one out. Something akin to this would do nicely:
Saddle Rifle

A step up in wood would be nice. A pewter schnabble would be obligatory. 28" half Oct. I'll have to think about caliber: it's between 45-70, 38-55 (this is highly interesting to me), or 405 Winchester. I doubt very much if I'll shoot BP, or strictly lead. A few more doodads when I see them in person. I would not miss half my long guns in order to get this. A sale may be forthcoming.

This is, of course, just for the moment. I'm worse than an old woman when I go shopping. But, I will have one of these classics within three years or so..... 8)

So, Riflemen....what would you order? This will be fun daydreaming....include pics.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Let's Build A Shiloh Sharps

Post by 6pt-sika »

Should you decide to order one I still have a place in line that I bought 5 or 6 years ago !

I may be talked out of it for a reduced price !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:Should you decide to order one I still have a place in line that I bought 5 or 6 years ago !

What did you find that you liked? Are you saying the wait for a Shiloh is five, or six years?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Blaine, Also take a look the the .40-65. The .40-65 is an excellent cartridge and as accurate or more so than the larger bores. It has great BC`s with its 400 (or so) gr. bullet and brass is not a problem as it can be formed from .45-70.

Lots of guys go for the .45-90 or .45-120`s etc.and after they find they KICK like a mule and use more powder and lead
they don`t shoot them as much as they thought they would.
The .38-55 is also one of my favorites but is better suited in the lever action repeaters IMHO.
Those rifles are a thing of beauty. Before spending that kind of cash I would make sure what I wanted.
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine,
He offered it to you first, but if you don't want his place in line; give me a shoutout.
I could let go of some gold for that.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

And yeah, you're right.
Time to start thinking about a bucket rifle.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My vote is for 45-90 just 'cause I've always wanted one.

If you decide to turn loose that 870 let me know. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Blaine just a couple of things to remember,
1. Order on line
2. They have up to a dozen rifles on the floor at any given time, I know of several guys that went to sharps only to walk out with their list of goodies in there pocket and a new rifle under there arm.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Don t know if you are aware of it but in the new year Shiloh is going to start to take orders for their new model 1877 rifle now that would make a nice bucket rifle or maybe C sharps Remington Hepburn rifle in 45/70 always liked the look of that.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Should you decide to order one I still have a place in line that I bought 5 or 6 years ago !

What did you find that you liked? Are you saying the wait for a Shiloh is five, or six years?
No I put my name on the waiting list and paid my $200 to be there . When I got notified I could get on the next prodiuction run I didn't really want it any longer . So I still have a spot when I feel like getting one . Or I can transfer it to someone else provided I get a good portion of my $200 back .

I believe when I first sent the $200 in the wait was an expected 2 years and I think it turned out to be about 2 1/2 years . Not to say it's that long now as I don't know . But that seems about right for when I got on the list .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s a pic of mine designed for hunting.Three band 74 MIlitary,45/70,bone case colors,shotgun butt with checkered steel butt plate, semi fancy stock, dovetailed front sight.This was copied after a rifle Mike Ventirino ha made up for hunting.

I m also considering picking this one being sold locally up

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

The rifle in the calibers you are contemplating sounds just about perfect! Yes, get the fancy wood, and get the metal shotgun buttplate too. They look terrific!

I bought a Shiloh Montana Roughrider in .45-100 over twenty years ago. My choice was based on the fact that I prefer a pistol grip stock, and since I am a lefty the Roughrider did not have a cheekpiece that would be useless to me. It has upgraded wood and a 34" standard weight barrel. I chose .45-100 because I had read of how well it did in the old-time long range matches. I always enjoyed shooting it, but as I have aged, I find I can no longer tolerate that much recoil over the time it takes to shoot a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette match. I bought a Browning 1885 BPCR in .40-65 which I like very much, but I still prefer the feel of the Shiloh, so I decided to re-barrel it. My first choice would have been .40-65, but a really nice 28" heavy weight .45-70 barrel came up on Gunbroker, so I bought it. The Shiloh is at the gunsmith's now, getting the replacement barrel installed. The lesson here from my long-winded story is don't get carried away caliber-wise. Bigger is not always better.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine would probably be the carbine (or maybe the military rifle) in .50-70 govt. What can I say, I like the assault guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

38/55 Get it for the Starline long brass and have the throat or chamber done up so you can seat a cast bullet 3thousand's over without turning down the necks down. If you went to a 300-325gr bullet, the BC's should be up there too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shasta wrote:The rifle in the calibers you are contemplating sounds just about perfect! Yes, get the fancy wood, and get the metal shotgun buttplate too. They look terrific!

I bought a Shiloh Montana Roughrider in .45-100 over twenty years ago. My choice was based on the fact that I prefer a pistol grip stock, and since I am a lefty the Roughrider did not have a cheekpiece that would be useless to me. It has upgraded wood and a 34" standard weight barrel. I chose .45-100 because I had read of how well it did in the old-time long range matches. I always enjoyed shooting it, but as I have aged, I find I can no longer tolerate that much recoil over the time it takes to shoot a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette match. I bought a Browning 1885 BPCR in .40-65 which I like very much, but I still prefer the feel of the Shiloh, so I decided to re-barrel it. My first choice would have been .40-65, but a really nice 28" heavy weight .45-70 barrel came up on Gunbroker, so I bought it. The Shiloh is at the gunsmith's now, getting the replacement barrel installed. The lesson here from my long-winded story is don't get carried away caliber-wise. Bigger is not always better.

SHASTA
I'm pretty sure that 38-55, or 405 Win would be sufficient for all my shooting or hunting needs.....Mostly, looking and fondling and showing off @ the 300 M Gong :P I mentioned 45-70 because I'm already heavily invested in the caliber. 300 Grain plinkers would suffice in 45-70.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

No I put my name on the waiting list and paid my $200 to be there . When I got notified I could get on the next prodiuction run I didn't really want it any longer . So I still have a spot when I feel like getting one . Or I can transfer it to someone else provided I get a good portion of my $200 back .

I believe when I first sent the $200 in the wait was an expected 2 years and I think it turned out to be about 2 1/2 years . Not to say it's that long now as I don't know . But that seems about right for when I got on the list .
If you're wanting out of that, PM Mescalero....I just now got back from the Dentist, and guess where my next 1500 bucks has to go :roll: Besides, I want to go coon finger the different models, and I won't be able to ride over there until it warms up some.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Just be cautious this stuff is like Lay's potatoe chips.
First I thought the C Sharps 75 was THEE rifle to get.

Then I realized it didn't really suit me as well as my Italian #3 sharps knockoff, did, so I got this #3 shiloh

And while I was enjoying that rifle very much , the 40 year itch for a 44-77 was needing scratching really bad, so I ordered up this Roughrider, and am really happy,

:roll: But now I'm starting to think of the next one, and am wrestling with a 16lb barreled 40-90 bn, or maybe going back with a standard barreled #3 in 44-77.
So your plan is solid, think long and hard about what you want, then either go to the shop and order it/ bring home one off the rack, or call em up with your order give your deposit, and then when you go over there and find the love of your life already on the rack, simply have your order moved to that rifle, and go home, only to start thinking about the one you'll have to have to accompany this one... :P
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

For all around use you just can't beat the 45-70 chambering. I have a Shiloh Model 1874 #1 in that caliber that I bought new around 12 years ago after a 4 year wait. It sports a 30" 1/2 octagon, 1/2 round barrel with upgraded wood and a pewter fore end tip. A beautiful piece of American craftsmanship. One of finest semi-custom built rifles obtainable anywhere.

The 45-70 can be loaded up or down, shot with black or smokeless powder, with bullets anywhere from three hundred to 550 grs or slightly more. The versatility is truly uinique.

At a recent informal shoot, we were plinking at a buffalo silhouette at a measured 1000 yards. Between my son and I, the rifle went 11 for 12 hitting that 1000 yard buffalo. The only miss attributed to a sudden gust of wind which blew my 5th shot just off the nose of the buffalo. That was with Swiss blackpowder and a the Lyman 457125 cast bullet.

If you have a hankering for a Shiloh, get one. You will not be sorry.

A Winchester Collector
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: I’ve been shooting Shiloh-Sharps rifle since 1987. Am lucky enough to have four of them –2 Business Rifles -- .45-2.1” (AKA .45-70) and a .50-70 Gov’t.), a half octagon-half round Sporter #1, .45-2.4” (erroneously AKA .45-90), and a 25 pound Sporter #1 .45-2.4”.

I shoot Black Powder and paper patch bullets in these rifles. My other .45-70 rifles are loaded with SR 4759 and Midway bulk 300 grain JHP from Remington at Trapdoor velocity. ccuarte and pleasant to shoot.

Short while back one of the poster on the Shiloh-Sharps forum posted that wait time is now approximately 18 months. Shiloph foum, see: http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

The 2013 catalogue is out. Call and ask for one. If you go on the Shiloh-Sharps on-line catalogue, you can configure a rifle that way you want it and have a price quote. Just click on the “customize now” banner. See:
http://www.shilohrifle.com/rifles.php

The quotes do not include Federal Excise Tax (11%), or any engraving, checkering, inlays. Aftermarket sights are not subject to the FET.

I do believe that the Business Rifle is the real sleeper of the Shiloh line-up. It is a fast handling little carbine. The straight stock permits fast snap shots in hunting situations. A pistol grip will give a better grasp on the rifle for more serious target work. Some Shooters who mount tang sight have difficulty shooting the straight stock as sight base can interfere with thumb placement.

You mentioned a .38-55, .405 Winchester, or a .45-70. I would go with the .45-70 not only because it is a historical Sharps caliber, but ammunition is available in just about any sporting goods store. There is nothing like going on the hunt of a lifetime and discovering that you did not pack the right ammunition or left it at home. In fact, there was a recent such thread on the Shiloh board about a similar incident. Also, the Shiloh-Sharps action is strong enough to handle increased loads that my damage other rifles (or your shoulder)….

Before, you drive on over, call. At one time they were closed on Fridays, but that may have been “summer hours.”

Upper Nisqually Sportsmen’s Club (Eatonville) has Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette matches once a month. The next match is January 13, 2013. Might be worth a trip there to look at some of the Sharps rifles and talk to the shooters. See:
http://www.uppernisquallysportsmanclub. ... &pageid=39

I am going to busy the next week or so. Drop me a PM and we can set up a time if you would like to look at my rifles prior to heading east. We are not that far apart.

Good luck with the dentist. October I had a new crown and some other work; yesterday, spent $600.00 on tries for The Squeeze’s KIA.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray...that's a good tip, and idea about the BP match to look at some shooters....I'll put that on the calendar. I'd love to see your Sharps Rifles sometime.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Blaine, Also take a look the the .40-65. The .40-65 is an excellent cartridge and as accurate or more so than the larger bores. It has great BC`s with its 400 (or so) gr. bullet and brass is not a problem as it can be formed from .45-70.

Lots of guys go for the .45-90 or .45-120`s etc.and after they find they KICK like a mule and use more powder and lead
The .38-55 is also one of my favorites but is better suited in the lever action repeaters IMHO.
Those rifles are a thing of beauty. Before spending that kind of cash I would make sure what I wanted.
Glad I read the posts as this would definitely be my choice. I've shot 'em all..........extensively. In order for the 45 calibers to be effective at the longer ranges, you need the 500 gr+ bullets which beat you to death. The 38-55 is a great cartridge but......its like putting a 6 cylinder engine in a Corvette or in words you could understand, a Mo-Ped engine in a Fat Boy. :D

The 40-65 with 400 grain bullets will still kick but its a step down in recoil from the 45's. The 300 grainers are easy kickers and will still punch out beer cans out to 350 or 400 yards.

I'll go as far to say I like 40 calibers the best in revolvers, semi-auto's, pistol caliber leverguns, regular leverguns and single shots.......well, I guess everything :D .........except bolt action rifles and of course the mighty M1-A type semi-autos--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:Blaine, Also take a look the the .40-65. The .40-65 is an excellent cartridge and as accurate or more so than the larger bores. It has great BC`s with its 400 (or so) gr. bullet and brass is not a problem as it can be formed from .45-70.

Glad I read the posts as this would definitely be my choice. I've shot 'em all..........extensively. In order for the 45 calibers to be effective at the longer ranges, you need the 500 gr+ bullets which beat you to death. The 38-55 is a great cartridge but......its like putting a 6 cylinder engine in a Corvette or in words you could understand, a Mo-Ped engine in a Fat Boy. :D

The 40-65 with 400 grain bullets will still kick but its a step down in recoil from the 45's. The 300 grainers are easy kickers and will still punch out beer cans out to 350 or 400 yards.

I'll go as far to say I like 40 calibers the best in revolvers, semi-auto's, pistol caliber leverguns, regular leverguns and single shots.......well, I guess everything :D .........except bolt action rifles and of course the mighty M1-A type semi-autos--------------Sixgun
So, you don't think the 405 would be a decent 40? In my 1895, that is a REAL powerhouse with 300s @ about 2400fps, and, you can go lighter or heavier in the boolits, and power, too.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

405 makes a really good 40. A business rifle in 405 would be a dandy hunting/banging around gun.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Blaine - I haven't read any of the other posts on your thread yet because I wanted to throw a comment in here before I forgot it ...

Good on ya ! I can understand the thinking.

I know it's blasphemy to a lot of guys but I'd want a pistol grip stock. And I'd go with .45 - 70 for a couple reasons, the best one probably being the number of bullet choices.

Maybe you can get some more ideas by wandering around a couple of BPCR matches ? -

No matter what you end up with it's going to be beautiful. The Sharps Rifle is just one of those designs; it looks great just sitting there. - DixieBoy

P.S. - Just read the earlier posts. Shows what I know. :roll: Sounds like there are better reasons for going .40 caliber, eh ?

I've gotta confess Blaine ... I had a mental picture of you blasting away at a wooden bucket (a la Quigley) with a big .45 - 90 or more, at 1000 yards ... just because you could. :D
Last edited by DixieBoy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Uh... I think the wait is about 2 years, runs between 18 and 30 months most of the time.

Don't overlook the .40s in the traditional BP cartridges. Mine is in .40-90SBN, and with loads VERY similar to .45-70 with 5744 I get my 350 bullet moving at over 1600fps. They will chamber it for either grease groove bullets and for paper patch. With Shiloh you can also specify your rifling twist. So you can have a very specific load and object in mind when you get your thoughts on the purpose of your rifle. I got mine specifically for hunting... and then let Mike Venturino convince me to target shoot with it. A 100 round silhouette match with a heavy hitter wasn't fun.

The .40-70SBN is a great choice, or the non-traditional .40-70 Straight is also great. .40-90 straight is another round. But... I caution you, do you WANT to spend $1.25 for each piece of brass? WHEN you can find 'em! If I were to order another Sharps, I do believe I'd get a .40-65.

Everytime I run thru a "what features do I want" scenario... I always end up with XX-fancy wood, CCH'd receiver, hammer & lever, pewter nose cap, hard rubber shotgun butt with cheek rest and pistolgrip. I ordered the "Mid-Range" sights with standard Shiloh globe front... if I were to do it over, I'd get a "Long Range" rear sight paired to a globe front with inserts and level.

Maybe add a "Hartford Collar" and gold-filled band at the muzzle.

I'm still extremely satisfied with my "Long Range Express":
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have owned multiple sharps from several manufactures. C sharps was my first. Then followed several Shiloh's. I have had one Extelll rifle I've done mostly the Hartford models in 45-70 or the 1863s in 50, and 54. Current sharps is a saddle rifle in 45-70, straight grip, cheek piece and 24" barrel. I also have a place in line reserved for a three band military rifle exactly like the one shown above. 45-70 is the caliber. I love the cartridge and use a 500 grain govt bullet or a rnfp. I use goex powder or Swiss 1,5. Good luck with your choice. Was wondering what specifically you envision doing with your bucket rifle? Love the suggestion to see them at a shoot or go out to the shop. Good luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only caliber in this thread that I have any experience with is the .45-70 and I love it. I would love to shoot a Sharps in .45-70 and see just how much fun it could be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote:The only caliber in this thread that I have any experience with is the .45-70 and I love it. I would love to shoot a Sharps in .45-70 and see just how much fun it could be.
I've had four. 45-70s. An 1895GS, 1895 Cowboy, and a USRAC 1886EL, and a BFR. I still have the Cowboy, and the GS.....It would be logical to get the Sharps in 45-70...but, when have I ever been accused of being logical? The 38-55, and 405 would be cheaper to shoot (less lead, and powder).

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Shiloh uses Douglas barrels for the 405 , so you'll only have a round barrel option if that's the cartridge you choose.
Some folks are reporting good longrange results using 400 gr bullets in Hiwalls. Even in my 95 300 gr bullets don't have much trouble banging steel at 4 and 500 yds.
Follow your gut on the first one, you won't regret it. You can always go on a whim on the next ones.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: I will drop you a PM in the nest 2 weeks about getting together. VA American Lake and Madigan plus a few other things are going to keep me busy....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:Blaine: I will drop you a PM in the nest 2 weeks about getting together. VA American Lake and Madigan plus a few other things are going to keep me busy....
Ok....Keep healthy 8) I have great confidence in those two institutions.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV