quick folding knife review

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

quick folding knife review

Post by Streetstar »

OS referenced casually browsing ebay for pocketknives in the post below
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 09#p564309

I mentioned my good luck with modern Kershaw products in my response ---- but i like them so much, i thought i would do a quick mini review

At the urging of an old Army buddy, i bought a Kershaw Blur , an ugly little black tanto style knife with a spring assist opening mechanism --- fellas, it opens so fast you would think it was illegal almost . I did a counter test against all other spring assist knives in the store's inventory and the Kershaw was by far the quickest, yet still slim and small enough to be practical for everyday carry

If my old Buck 110 had eyes, it would have teared up when i replaced it for everyday carry ---- i still love those knives, but they almost require wearing them on your belt because they are kind of bulky for pocket carry

I had been using the Blur for the mundane tasks an insurance adjuster goes through daily, --- like opening mail, slicing apples -- occasionally poking around in basements cutting away tarpaper ---- it doesnt take a surgical instrument, basically.

The Blur does these mundane things like it should, then it folds up, goes into the pocket and you forget about it until you need it next time
--- i bought a Gerber Gator at the same time --- its a big knife, like the Buck 110 -- i have used it very little , but it was on sale --- the best thing about it is it has no serrations though, but its big enough that it hasn't been used much

I lost the Blur a couple weeks ago , so i bought a cheaper replacement at Dick's Sports --- called the Clash----- does everything the Blur does, but better -- at half the price , maybe 27-28 bucks . The handle feels cheaper, but the clip point blade is much more functional even with the short serrated section

A day after i bought its replacement, i found the Blur in the bottom of my gearbag -- (among a few other things ) -- I was relieved that i didnt lose a $65 knife, but the $28 knife actually worked better for my needs
---- Kershaw has a few others with slimmer blade profiles and things like that that may do even better for everyday pocket duty ---- but i am thinking next chance i get, i will add another Clash to the gearbag for <$30 , in case i lose something else

big caveat --- the $<30 Clash knife is marked "made in China" --- the $60 dollar Blur is not marked that way ---- i dont know how important that extra 30 bucks is to some, but i like the cheapo Clash knife for my use

L to R : Kershaw Blur, Kershaw Clash, Gerber Gator

closeup KErshaw Blur

closeup Kershaw Clash

The aforementioned gearbag is evidently a home for wayward knives, as these were also in the bottom when i was looking for the Blur --- a pretty nice Buck Special with Rosewood handles, and a Gerber boot knife i had since i was in the service ---- threw the pic in since this was a post about knives and i was glad to see 'em. since i am in NY, i may carry my faithful old boot knife again if i ever go into the city -- LOL --- but i think i could get either one of those Kershaws out of my pocket and open them quicker than i could get the dagger out of my boot !

super old Gerber crest --- i'm not sure, but i doubt if they are made in Portland now
----- Doug
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: quick folding knife review

Post by pwl44m »

I have 3 Kershaws, 2 small ones and one bigger. The small ones are red and the other bare metal. One small goes on My Sunday pants and the big one I carry on My work Pants and the other is still in the box. I use the clip on My pocket. I was told by Security in a local Mall that I couldn't carry it on My pocket exposed without a Sheath. So I just hide when I see Her coming. :lol: Yeah I am in there quite a bit, My Wife works there.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

my everyday carry knife is the trusty swiss army knife..

syderco knives are very sharp...typical folder...

my hunting knife is cutco
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I have a Kershaw Zing that I often carry, and while it wasn't (at least at the time) a low-end Kershaw, it was actually not very expensive. I bought it on something of a whim, but it has proven to be a nice, capable little knife that is as "useable" as my Spyderco Delica 4 and Benchmade Mini-Griptilian hi-viz folders with the exception of the liner lock being harder to use when closing the blade.

(I'll put it this way: the Zing opens fast - it is a "flipper," not a spring assist - but it doesn't close fast.)

Kershaw definitely has some good knives for the money, and the parent company (KAI) makes the Shun Classic line of chef's knives that my wife thinks are the finest on Earth.*

"d"

*The Shuns are not inexpensive, but I agree with the Mrs that they are impressive cooking cutlery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deafrn on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Daily carry is a Spyderco "Native".
I think it is the only non-serrated knife they make.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have all the major knife manufacturers (Kershaw, Gerber, Benchmade, etc) within a 10 mile radius of where I live. They all have a Christmas inventory sale where you can go into the warehouse and buy up overstock and discontinued items, for a fraction of their cost.

You ever notice, on Ebay, how many people are selling knives from Oregon right now. :wink: No, I am not one of them.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Can you get me one them blue zingers like Blaine posted not too long ago?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Any of you blade buffs know the vintage of a knife like this? It's a Imperial...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have been carrying a Kershaw SpeedSafe. $14 at Ace Hardware and it holds a good edge for opening cardboard boxes and cutting the plastic strips holding some plastic boxes closed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My last two daily carry knives were Kershaw. The current one is marked 2420 and Japan on the 3.5" blade. A lock-back with a flipper makes it a true one-handed knife which I find really handy. Think I've been carrying this one about 2 years and the previous one was just like it but for about 1 inch of serrations and it lasted about 3 years. It has a pocket clip which keeps it standing vertically in the pocket. I use it for everything. Gut and skin deer, eat with it, strip wire, there is even a couple of divots where I've used it to short across the solenoid to start my back-hoe.These replaced a Buck 110 that, as has been discussed, is just heavy and bulky for pocket carry. Before that, I used a Ka-bar 2 bladed folding hunter, 4" blades I think. Great knife after the brass blade pin sheared and I replaced it with a 1/8th" drill shank. Must have carried that one for 30 years. Still have it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In one of those funny quirks of life I bought a Schrade knife case for an LB7, case only on Ebay last week. Last night my mother in law calls and says she found an Uncle Henry's in her long deceased husbands drawer do I want it. This AM I find on the kitchen table: ----

trying for a steadier picture I ate the three chocolate Santas - you be the judge of did that work.

now in another quirk Nath puts up a topic called - The Colour of Hands - almost Simultaeously another board member, well known to all, sends me a picture of a woman's hand (and many of you have seen it) (and some commented - Nath may not be allowed to :D on his own thread, that his wife might see) - the kismet of it all - almost as if there is a giant Griff in the sky arr :D anging things.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At the other end of the spectrum, Lowe's building supply store has a 'Christmas special' of ten assorted folding knives for $9.99...!

I got a pack of them, and figure they're the kind you can stick in your glove compartment, desk drawer, or wherever, as a spare in case you need a knife and don't have one, or in case you have to cut something (or pry open a paint-can :oops: ) you don't want to use your 'good' knife for.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pics :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Been using the heck outta this folder pshort gave me. 8)

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We all have our favorite company. :wink:

http://www.benchmade.com/

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I'm hoping Santa brings me this bad boy...

Spyderco Ulize
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Very best knife buy coming out of China these days are Byrd (of Spyderco) folders.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
You can get these all day long on ebay for $20 and less. They're cheap enough to use for shop tools and throw-aways.
Super-hard, high-quality, edge-holding blades. Built to last.
(also cheap enough to give as a Christmas gift to your brother-in-law)

As much I liked CRKT folders of the past, when they went offshore, their quality dropped)

Nice knife, Pitchy.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What i like about it is the bump on the back of the blade that ya push on and give it a flip and it flips open.
Best design of that type action i`ve ever had. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have Spyderco Native in one fishing bag, and a Spyderco Salt in my salt bag.
I use a Byrd Cara as a shop knife.
They all open beautifully with your thumb.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Spyderco Native for everyday carry.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m so impressed at the ease and speed that this knife opens i had to shoot a video. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

CRKT M-16 variants (I like the compacts) with the Carson flipper used to open like that (index finger flip) before they moved production to China.

gave my US-made knife away to my daughter, for her collection - it's really nice.
The compact is also the best shirt pocket clip knife ever with a 3" blade and 2-oz. weight.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Streetstar,

My experience with Kershaw knives is almost the same as yours. I bought a knife similar to your Blur, but with a drop point serrated blade, a Ken Onion model. American made and built like a tank, it came razor sharp and kept an edge. The handle looks just like your Blur and is made of aluminum. Like you, I lost it and replaced it with a Made in China Kershaw that cost $20 instead of $55. It is lighter, thinner in the handle and the blade, and not as substantial, but it too is razor sharp.

And like you, after buying the cheaper replacement, I found the original knife in the side pocket of the door of my truck where it had luckily fallen out of my pocket. I now alternate between the two and tend to use the lighter knife when I don't want the extra bulk hanging on my pants. Both open as fast as a switch blade. The Ken Onion model is spring assisted to open halfway, but when you use the thumb nub to start it, it opens quickly to full lock. The cheaper knife has a bump on the back of the blade and no spring assist. You have to use your index finger to flip it to full lock.

I went with the Kershaw with the pocket clip after losing two or three yellow handled Case Trappers because they would slide out of my pocket unnoticed. I too have a Buck 110 that is razor sharp, but it stays in a drawer because it is so darn heavy.

My other favorite knife is the Swedish Mora knife. I have several stashed in every location I think I may ever need a knife. Cheap, shaving sharp, and easy to keep that way.

I think I'm pretty much settled now on my choice of knives, so unless I lose another one, I think I'm set for life. If I could only convince myself to apply the same logic to guns! :lol:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My everyday carry blade: Kershaw "LEEK"
The Kershaw Leek just may be the ideal EDC. With its 3-inch blade, the Leek is a good-sized knife, but not too big. The slim design makes it easy to carry and its razor-sharp blade of high-performance Sandvik 14C28N means it can take care of a full range of cutting tasks.

The blade is a modified drop-point, so it’s a good slicing knife, while the slim tip gives it piercing capability and the ability to do detailed work. For a partially serrated blade, choose the 1660ST Leek. The Leek features the SpeedSafe ambidextrous assisted opening system. Whether you’re left-handed or right-handed, just pull back on the blade protrusion or push outward on the thumbstud and the Leek’s blade is ready to go to work.

In addition to its 14C28N blade, this Leek features a handle of pure stainless steel that gives it a clean, sleek look. For confident blade use, a super-secure frame lock keeps the blade locked during use and a Tip-Lock slider locks the blade closed when folded. The pocketclip can be configured for tip-up or tip-down carry and the handle is drilled to accept a lanyard.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Good to hear so many others have had good luck with this knife brand!

I can appreciate the more expensive stuff, for sure --- and i certainly like traditionally styled gear, but these little tac style blades won me over for handiness.

I bought a Gerber Gator at the same time as i purchased the Blur -- it is a traditional style lockback that is roughly the size of a Buck 110 with a fatter rubberized handle (it was on sale for $25 ) --- i am afraid i am going to have to pass it on to my truck's emergency box because so far i haven't had a use for it ---- small jobs i have been using the little Kershaws (they're not exactly tiny either , but they are petite compared to the Gator or a Buck) -- anything bigger i usually break out a fixed blade
----- Doug
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I also have a Kershaw Blur with the drop point, partially serrated blade. It was purchased at The Gun Store during my one and only trip to Las Vegas. Got that instead of spending the money shooting a full auto. :wink: I've also got the much smaller Kershaw Chive. Both of these are Ken Onion designs which I really like a lot, and as mentioned are made in the U.S.A. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the made in U.S. Kershaws.
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Have carried my Kershaw Tanto Blur for 3 years now great knife, went through two Kershaw whrilwind blackouts before the blur. My Daughter talked me out of the first wirlwind lost the other one.

But before I lost it I found myself in a dark piece woods with a dead deer. I had shot deer with a .54 cal. roundball out of a Hawken & blood trailed him a half mile of so mostly in a big circle,anyway I had shot at dusk & the tracking was all after dark. So I was'ent sure just where I was my head being down while tracking. But I knew one thing. I had forgot my knife!

But I had that little whrilwind & worked about as good as any knife I've ever dressed a deer with. Some how I got my bearings & drug the now much lighter deer to my jeep.
Sure would have been a long night without that little Kershaw.