Anyone shoot a 1911 45 ACP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone shoot a 1911 45 ACP?

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a need to own one. I should have gotten one years ago like my dad had. Now the plain Colt service model is way out of my buying range during this economy. I was thinking about buying a new cheaper one, even though I dislike the newer guns of all kinds. Maybe a Rock Island or Springfield Armory would do, but they look and feel like about what they are, a cheap copy of the Colt. Any ideas? RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shoot a 1911 45 ACP?

Post by pwl44m »

Seems like that is about Your only option without going Old School. The other option is to Bite the Bullet and go for broke. You might have to let go of a Spur or a Badge but just think "You would have a Colt".
I have 3 that I have picked up through the years and they aint gettin cheaper.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been shooting 1911's since I was ten years old. I have six of the now, three Colts, a WWII Ithica and two Argentine 27s.

I was looking at the Remington just the other day. Might have to have one and I've seen really good reviews.

If you want something vintage but not 1911 or 1911A1 Gov't model prices check out the Argentine System 27s.
Colt made the first few thousand for the Argentines and then they paid Colt to produce their own.
They are some of the best 1911A1 clones that I've ever had.

The next ones I'd look at are the Springfield models. I've had several and all have been very reliable pistols.
I had a Taurus in my hot little hands yesterday and while I am NOT a fan it did have an excellent trigger and decent fit and finish.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

You may be able to find a South American used one? I agree you need one! A colt series 70 was my 2nd handgun I ever owned. Now 33 years later, I'm back to carrying one daily, this time a nighthawk GRP
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a Springfield GI. I like it, have also shot an orginal1911 made in 1918 and another made in WW2 didnt really notice much difference between them. Other than sights on Springfield are easier to use and see. I just bought mine 2 years ago and waited 27 years to long.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only reason I got a Para Ord. 1911 was because the sights on the much cheaper Mil Spec Springer were too small and hard to see, and the LGS had a deal on the NRA-ILA models that he picked up cheap at the big Vegas Show.....This one is a 5" bbl, but, I'd like to get a Commander size someday.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

Keep an eye on gunshows and you may find a Colt Argentine 27 for around $500. Hear tell the Rock Islands arent tthat bad .
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a Remington 1911R1 last year and I am very pleased with it.
It is well fitted and finished and shoots well.
I picked this one because it is just like a GI issue 1911 but with better sights.
The price was reasonable also.

I have three other 1911s, including a Colt MKIV Series 80. If I could keep only one, it would be the Remington.

Jack
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hayseed wrote:Keep an eye on gunshows and you may find a Colt Argentine 27 for around $500. Hear tell the Rock Islands arent tthat bad .
Have both. Both are excellent firearms. The colt is a 5" and the RIA is a 4" barrell. Get both :D
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I think the most quality for the buck is the Ruger 1911. It shoots just about as well as my Kimber and it doesn't have to be so dang tight to do it. The Kimber is spooky accurate but with the tight tolerances, it is finicky on ammunition, not so much the bullet style but any miniscule error in dimensions especially diameter of catrridge base will cause colic. The Kimber also has to be squeaky clean to funtion reliably, which is at odds with Unique and cast bullets. I have purchased the Lee 4 die which ( I think as I have no opened the box) has a carbide die to finish off the round to make sure it will chamber. Now the Ruger is a little looser but it sure shoots and it will eat anything. What the Kimber won't digest, the Ruger couldn't care less about. There is still a waiting list for the Ruger but I think it is worth it. A friendly dealer should be able to get one for ~$650ish.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

RR7 I bought a Kimber Custom II ten years ago and it is a Sweet shooting pistol. Not sure if they are rated has well has they were but it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards and the trigger is really nice for their low end pistol.
That said I really wish I had a 38WCF SA and bought one when they were more affordable so we all want something we don't have:)
Last edited by EdinCT on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

They are not that hard to build, and parts are all over, it is a consideration.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have four; Colt Commander, Colt Gov't Series 80, Springfield GI, and a Kimber Custom pre-II. I like them all. The Kimber is the most accurate. The Colt Commander is my favorite. I would post pics but I am on my phone and can't get photobucket to cooperate.

Like others have said, the other brands are ok, some even outstanding, but... to some of us, there is just something about a Colt...
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hop right over to Georgetown and look at the plain STI model. Made right in our our backyard and full of quality and service. Maybe not the cheapest but their plain model has better reviews, life expectancy and reliability than anything else of lesser stature.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have three, two Kimbers and a Colt Officers Model that I had dolled up by Turnbull Restorations. I love 1911s!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I shoot a Springfield Armory 1911 'Loaded'. I decided a few years ago to not clean this gun just to see what happened. After about five years of shooting and I have no idea of how many handloaded rounds, using filthy Unique, it was absolutely filthy but it kept on shooting no problem. Finally, just a few months ago, I was shooting it at the range when the slide got so gummed up that it couldn't move forward with enough force to chamber the rounds. It was gummed up so bad that the inside was pretty much tar. I took it home and stripped it down. It was a major tarry mess and took me about an hour to clean. I don't plan to do that again, but I was just curious how long a fellow could go without ever cleaning his 1911 and it would still work. It is unfortunate that I lost track of how many rounds went through that pistol. If I had to buy another one, though, I don't think I'd get the 'loaded' version. You can't strip it down in the field unless you have the proper Allen wrench.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have put about 5000 rds through a Spingfield GI type - it will go about 450 -500 rds before not cycling with reloads. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I just bought a Taurus P1911.
No data available yet.
Mining thing eating all available time and resources.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been shooting 1911's for 35 yrs or so, and they are still my favorite semi-auto pistol. Colts are the standard to compare by, but frankly they are not the best and haven't been for a lot of years of production. Quality control hasn't always been the the best. Still yet they can be good guns, and generally have decent internal parts, and in today's world they only have a very few MIM parts compared to something like a Kimber. But the Kimber will probably be more accurate, at least that has been my experience, it's just that you might have to replace a few broken parts on the Kimber, sooner. The Kimber has a lot of MIM parts and some do break with only moderate use.

For your first 1911, I would suggest you try to stay with the time proven series 70 design, which narrows down the list. I don't much care for the added various firing pin safety blocks, espacally the Kimber's, However, some Kimbers do not have it, only the ones with a II on the end of the discription.

And actually the Springfields are generally pretty good guns, but some of those deviate from the series 70 design also, but at least they don't have a firing pin block, however they do have that stupid lock in the mainspring housing, but that can be changed out for an aftermarket mainspring housing, and that problem gets cured.

The best 1911 that I own is a Wilson Combat, and it's worth it to me, but they are expensive. I also own a couple of Colts, one has been customized, and is almost as good as my Wilson, but not quite. I also have a 4" and a 5" both Lightweight Springfields which I reallly like because they carry so well. I have owned several Kimbers and still own a little 3 inch barreled Kimber Lightweight, and I removed the firing pin block out of it, and also replaced the soft firing pin with a Colt Firing pin. It's a good solid gun, at least so far it has been.

I was looking at the Rock Islands recently, and frankly for a low end introduction, I think they are pretty good, and if I wanted a 1911 and couldn't spend much, I would probably get one, but frankly if I was that short on cash and needed a good handgun, I would probably just go purchase a Glock. The 1911's are expensive, and they usually cost me more after I get them, as I have a fairly narrow set of rules when it comes to 1911's and usually end up changing out several parts before I am happy with them which cost me even more.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I just bought a Taurus P1911.
No data available yet.
Mining thing eating all available time and resources.
Let's hop to it.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

I really like my Cimarron 1911. They call it a 1911A1, but there isn't really much A1ish about it, it's more of just an old school 1911, the target audience is Wild Bunch CAS shooters. The gun was made by armscor, the same folks who make the RIA pistols. I thought maybe it was a bit rough until i compared it with my father-in-law's colt, and now i have alot more respect for my cimarron. I don't know if cimarron picks out the good ones or if my gun reflects the armscor/RIA standard. I like to take it out in the desert, squint for that tiny front sight, and imagine I'm on the Punitive Expedition with the likes of Pershing and Patton, hunting Pancho Villa.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

My primary OC and CC firearm: a Detonics MkVI Combat Master. I traded a Colt Series 70 Commander for it with my former FIL back in the late 80's. After he passed away last year I had hoped to see about getting the Colt back but it seems to had been sold by my former MIL. Oh well, even though my exwife is history, I still have the Detonics. :)

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with the Rock Island Armory guns or any other ARMSCOR made 1911. I have two of them a Rock Island Armory Tactical and I just won on a gun raffle a High Standard GI Model 1911 (also made by Armscor) both are 45's. They are great 1911's STI is also made by Armscor as is the Taylors and Sons 1911's. The are made and function well and are well thought of on the 1911 forums which is why I bought my first one and had no complaints when I won the second one.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I would steer clear of that MIL!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine,
Will do, bought it to be primary carry at the mining endeavor.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ruger SR 1911. Love mine! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 Colt's 1911s, a Gold Cup, Gov't issue and Combat Commander; I also have an Interarms frame with Remington slide and GI internal parts, and a Taylor's imported Armscor 1911 FS AT. The Taylor's is really nothing more than a 1911-A1.

Like Rock Island, Cimarron and others that import the Armscor product from the Phillipines, they've met with good reviews.

But, gosh would one of these be neat:
Colt’s Manufacturing LLC has a contract to provide the U.S. Marine Corps with an ultra-reliable, accurate 1911 pistol. Every shipment of the Close-Quarters Battle (CQB) 1911 sent to the military has to pass the same rigorous testing process used to qualify the pistol to win the contract. The exact same pistol our service personnel receive will be made available in 2013 (in limited numbers) to the civilian market through Colt's custom shop. It won't be as easy to get as some 1911s, but it will certainly be worth the wait.
But I tell you truthfully, there are so many quality manufacturers out there, that it's hard to make a solid recommendation. I can tell you, that of all the ones I own, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them. I have friends with Springfields and they rave about them. Smith & Wessons are also well thought of. One nice thing about the .45? You can stick your pinkie in the hole and shake the barrel... it'll tell you if the bushing is well fitted. And, along with the locking lugs it really determines what type of accuracy you can expect.

I'd like to tell you what type of accuracy you can expect with the Armscor, but I've never shot it on paper. Most of our match steel is set at about 3-10 yards. To sight it in, I just held on the center of a 10" diameter plate at 10 yards and fired a five shot group... hit with five shots in the nice group... 5 lead spatters, all touching. I ain't braggin' as the splatter mark is about ¾" around. But, that was pretty rapid fire... not slow single shots with sight adjustment after each shot... just 5 quick pulls on the trigger. My Combat Commander has been shot on paper. Mostly at 25 yards. And if mine is any judge of the average gun, you should be able to expect 10 ring accuracy.

One maker that I haven't heard about is the Ruger. But if their 1911 lives up the quality of their other arms... it should be a winner.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Nice thing about the 1911 is once you buy one the sky is the limit on making it stock or customizing it as much as you want or putting in the so called match parts. As Griff noted the Armscor guns have mostly great reviews online. I say mostly is because there is not a product out there that some one will give them a bad review. I think some folks do it on purpose to be a PITA just like some hack computers or spread viruses ect. It was the great reviews I seen online that prompted me to buy a RIA tactical. I was not disappointed and my new High Standard is as nice. The thing is once you have a base model frame and slide you can do what ever you desire on these guns the parts and accessories are all over the place.

Back a few years ago Norinco was importing a chinese copy of the 1911. The gun writer Jan Libourel wrote a lot of articles about these guns which were selling around 300 or 350 at the time. He said you could not find a better base gun to customize into what ever type of 1911 you wanted from a match gun to a full race gun or he said they were great as is. I had one for a while I wish I would have kept it. Thanks to slick willie we cannot buy them in the US anymore but guys in Canada still can. I think the Armscor guns can also fit that niche the are good as is or a good start on a custom gun. Myself about the only thing I would do to them is add fancier grips. Right now my High Standard GI has a original GI set of dark brown checkered plastic grips on them I like the look of the original grips on it though I might get fancier later. First thing I did for my tactical is buy a set of grips that were a nice exotic wood.

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Go figure that picture posted for me. :?: :?: :?:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jh45gun wrote:Go figure that picture posted for me. :?: :?: :?:
Somedays even what goes wrong, somehow goes right!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an RIA, and finally found something it doesn't like. Speer Gold Dot ammo. It won't feed them, even on a polished feed ramp. I did polish my feed ramp with a white buffing compound, then jewelers rouge, and the ramp is as shiny as a mirror and loves everything but Gold Dot. My RIA is the base model, and isn't real pretty, but it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards all day long if you can get enough sun to see the sights. Sometime after I get my check for the 2 weeks of vacation I was not allowed to take this year, I will get a Caspian slide with Novak sights installed and a BarSto barrel and have a gunsmith fit it for me. My RIA is as solid as anything I have picked up except for a Kimber. If I were going for accuracy and reliability for regular carry with a clean gun, Kimber would be worth the price in my opinion. I have handled a few Colts, and the old ones are the only ones I would even bother with, and they would have to be customized a bit. My RIA has a 4.5 pound trigger pull right out of the box and releases as crisply as a Kimber.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Rock Island and Para Ordnance wide-body ones fit my hands best, and keep shooting reliably on and on and on. Predating them is an old AMT generic 1911 that I've had dropped out of haylofts and land in manure piles, sat on in sand, dropped onto gravel and concrete floors, soaked in water, and so on, but keeps shooting on and on and on.

I think 1911's are pretty much just all going to work, so it's just a matter of what brand you think is prettiest.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have the world's WORST luck with 1911s. :(

I have an old Norinco, and the locking lugs on the barrel
are going. Could be just the barrel - I hear some came through
with bad metal that couldn't hold up to the hard slides.
Some supposedl also came through dimensionally screwed up
- the distance from the slide rails to the locking lugs in the slide
is too great. More research needed. (And YES, any suggestions
on this one are MOST welcome!!!)

Bought an RIA. Love the fit to my hand, and the trigger is just
about perfect for carry. Wouldn't feed reliably, so I took it apart,
polished the ramp, changed the recoil spring, tuned the extractor,
stoned all the mating sufaces, and noticed the slide was odd. Sent
it back, they replaced the slide, and it still doesn't feed reliably. It
now has a 22 kit on it. Maybe I'll try another one, because all I hear
are good reviews about these.

Colt series 80. I had to use a hammer and punch to remove the firing
pin stop on this one. Replaced that, cleaned up a lot of tool marks,
and fixed the bushing, the face of which was so large it was difficult
to disassemble the gun. It shoots very well now, and the trigger is
terrific. Too light maybe. I'm not impressed with the build quality of
this particualar gun. Lotsa tool marks and just plain sloppy workmanship.
I think I've got about 12 hours of labor into this one, just to get it
function and disassemble correctly.

Delta Elite in 10mm. I haven't got this one to shoot anything to point of
aim, but I'm getting closer. Groups are okay, but everything shoots low.
165 gr. is the best. Of course, I've got THOUSANDS of 180 gr. bullets to
load.... :roll: I'm lowering the front sight a little bit at a time and slowly
getting there.

I like the new Remingtons. They look good and the triggers seem about right for
a carry piece. Cabela's sometimes has 'em on sale, and I may not be able to
resist next time..... 8)

-Stretch
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Friend of mine had an Armscor crack a slide shooting factory loads after about 3,000 rounds.

Anyone can make a bad gun.

I'd stick with Springfield, Ruger, Remington, and AVOID Kimber and Para-Ordnance (their quality has dropped drastically in the last 10 years, enough so several high-end gunsmiths refuse to work on them because there's too much wrong to fix before they even get to doing their part) in the price range and general idea of what the OP is going for.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I had a Springfield MIL-SPEC model once upon a time. It was a great gun and didn't break the bank. It had a few minor upgrades from the GI model but the big thing that sold me on it was the sights. Much better sights than the GI model.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... 8%2B1+Maho

I have a Metro Arms copy of this gun. I like it. It shoots. It has real mil-spec dimensions and will accept standard 1911 doo-dads. I have not found anything not to like about it. I paid 397.

Grizz
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

group shot

Colts on top
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Grizz wrote:http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... 8%2B1+Maho

I have a Metro Arms copy of this gun. I like it. It shoots. It has real mil-spec dimensions and will accept standard 1911 doo-dads. I have not found anything not to like about it. I paid 397.

Grizz

I looked these up they look like an Armscor and the web page said they are made in the Philippines so I would guess it is an Armscor. Like I said they make good guns.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Stretch I would call them and make arrangements to send it back to Nevada they will make it right.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Bought a used Rock Island,only thing I ended up doing was a little work on the extractor.It shoots better then I can.LGS owner has one too and swears by it.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have a real nice Colt GM, but my favorite is a Norinco 1911A1. I changed out the sights, added a Colt barrel I had in my parts box and changed out the springs. It is a fine shooting pistol and cash money I have about $350 in it. Here tis...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Charles wrote:I have a real nice Colt GM, but my favorite is a Norinco 1911A1. I changed out the sights, added a Colt barrel I had in my parts box and changed out the springs. It is a fine shooting pistol and cash money I have about $350 in it. Here tis...
That`s hard to beat for the price 8)

I have two Colts that i bought years ago and a new Springfield Armory fully loaded with Crimsons laser grips that has worked great.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Stretch...I would suspect the barrel lugs on your Norinco were a tad soft. The slide is quite hard, but not brittle. I have two of these (one pictured above) and the specs are spot on for drop in parts. I have a Colt barrel in one (pic above) and a Bar-Sto barrel in the other. Both were drop in propositions.

Your solution is to get a new barrel. Shop around for a good used Colt barrel, they are very good quality and will drop right into your Norinco. Your Nork should be good for many thousands of rounds, they are tough pistols.

I have the original Norinco barrels for my pistols and they are decent quality. They are chrome plated inside and out. I want to hang on to them for they are serial numbered to my frames.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Pitchy..When the new GI Springfields came out I ran down and bought one. It fired lousy groups and didn't get better with break in. I installed a Colt barrel and the groups shrank in half. I swapped it off for a second Norinco and kept the Colt barrel which is now in Norinco No. 1.

The Norinco is a better pistol than that Springfield GI no matter how your slice it. The slide is milled from one piece of tool steel, and the frame forged. Fit is finish is also better. If, I can just avoid looking at the the "Made In China" marking I am very happy.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Charles, mine is the fully loaded model and fit and finish seem real good.
I can`t say if i`ve tried groups or not, i better go try it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

The Ruger is a lot of gun for the money.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Fun fun :D
The second picture is using the laser sight and Blazer brass hard ball in the video.
Second picture is using fixed sights, there are five 30-30 holes in last picture too.
Distance was 10 yards.

As you can see i was resting on the back of the chair, from a sand bag the group would be better yet.

video

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Only Problem is Charles you cannot buy the Norinco guns in the US anymore.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got two Springfield 1911s and couldn't be happier with them. One is a 2011 Mil-Spec (NM s/m) that has over 900rds of trouble free shooting that I recently decided to give to my son for Christmas as I recently purchased a new Range Officer for myself. The Range Officer (also NM s/n) now has over 300rds of trouble free shooting and I'd highly recommend either to anyone wanting a forged steel frame and slide pistol that's backed with a lifetime guarantee from a good company.

The Mil-Spec (top) isn't just like my old GI version from the Army decades ago as it has some performance, accuracy, and reliability enhancements as well as better 3 dot sights than the original. It is very accurate and groups very well. My Range Officer (bottom) has more bells and whistles like a beaver tail grip safety, extended safety, melted adjustable rear sight, skeleton hammer, and longer, lighter, adjustable trigger. It shoots like a dream. Both are excellent shooters and really solid.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Steve, a range Officer is on my wish list. I really like that. Actually, I would like the Range Officer slide on your Mil Spec frame. I don't need the beavertail - never been bit by a 1911 or A1. (My 1969 Browning HP however...)