Anyone shoot a 1911 45 ACP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shoot a 1911 45 ACP?

Post by Pete44ru »

I put my wallet where my mouth was, after several Colts, Springers, Natn'l Ord, & others.

I found that I just couldn't live with the "Made in Brazil" (Springfield), and various other offshore makers marks, on the frame(s).

Now that I'm retired, although I'd love to have gotten a Colt LWC (Light Weight Commander), at half the price, I got this:

Made in the USA, $575 OTD (new ), @ my friendly FFL , Spring 2012.

The only thing I've done to the Remington 1911R1 since, besides shooting the snot out of it, was to install a Commander-style rowel hammer:

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That Remington is a good looking pistol but the original LW Commander is a work of art.

my 1954 Commander 45ACP
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

rangerider7 wrote:I have a need to own one. I should have gotten one years ago like my dad had. Now the plain Colt service model is way out of my buying range during this economy. I was thinking about buying a new cheaper one, even though I dislike the newer guns of all kinds. Maybe a Rock Island or Springfield Armory would do, but they look and feel like about what they are, a cheap copy of the Colt. Any ideas? RR7
I bought my Gold Cup way back in the early 80's. It had to go back to colt under warantee. Shot that gun through advanced levels at LFI, & DTI.
I've since bought a Commander, then later a 1991 - all three sizes. I've learned to do my own smithing on them. Not always pretty, but mine shoot reliably anf accurately. The Gold Cup should have been reblued 20 years ago.

That was then, this is NOW. When something goes bump in the night, I'm grabbing the HiK USP 45! Or the USP45c. Maybe the G19 Glock.

If you gotta have a 1911, go other than colt. There are reasons why Kimber, S&W, Ruger, et al are selling well. Colt is not a 1911leader.
Look at 45's other than 1911. Glocks, HK, FN, etc.
Don't listen to me, I'm a heretic. Search for Larry Vickers and read his articles, written from experience
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Head to the Dallas SafariClub convention 3-6 Jan. Kimber has been there every year, as is Ruger, Horncady, and many other gun companies.
Wear comfortable shoes. You're gonna be covering many miles if you go. Might want to stay overnight south of the metroplex, becase it will take most of the day to get through it. BigGame.org
-Brian
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

If you're like me and want a Colt, you probably won't be satisfied with anything else. If you're patient, you can probably pick up a GI mixmaster 1911-A1 for $700-ish - especially in Texas. 1911s seem to cost less in Texas compared to NC. It sounds like you are just wanting an unmodified GI gun, but I've got a 'real' GI Colt from 1918 that a previous owner sent to JoJo's in CT to be modified. PM me if you're interested in it at all. $725, delivered to your FFL

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I just left My Dealer (Guns) and He has a Springfield NIB for $425 plus $35 for reg. My Brother just bought the green one yesterday for $425 otd. I wondering where I went wrong. I'm not totally sold on this Gun yet. I think I will wait Him out.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pwl44m wrote:I just left My Dealer (Guns) and He has a Springfield NIB for $425 plus $35 for reg. My Brother just bought the green one yesterday for $425 otd. I wondering where I went wrong. I'm not totally sold on this Gun yet. I think I will wait Him out.
Perry
A NIB Mil Spec for $425 (+$35)? That is a DEAL!! That is a good deal for a NIB GI too. I paid that for my GI seven or eight years ago.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Jh45gun...you certainly can buy Norinco 45s in the US, there are plenty of them on the used market. They can no longer be imported thanks to Bill Clinton.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Guys, your sure have me confused now. Thanks to all of you for your input. I know by in the last few weeks of looking at all the new pistols, they will not satisfy me. I will just wait for a good trade if it comes along. A dealer friend of mind for years has a Colt 1911 with cattle brands engraved all over it. I need bling if I am going the 1911 route and I will see if we can make a decent deal. That is the only way I will keep it in my collection. The Texas Rangers used them for years. If not I can live with it. I just don't like the look or feel of the new ones. Again thanks a lot. Take care, RR7.
"That'll Be The Day"
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Charles wrote:Jh45gun...you certainly can buy Norinco 45s in the US, there are plenty of them on the used market. They can no longer be imported thanks to Bill Clinton.

They may be out there used but they are not that available I have not seen one used in my area since they had to quit selling them new. At the time they were a good deal as not many if any other companies was selling a reasonable priced 1911. Now that is not the case there are a lot of good buys out their with the Armscor guns and others making reasonable 1911's .
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

BrianSH wrote:
rangerider7 wrote:I have a need to own one. I should have gotten one years ago like my dad had. Now the plain Colt service model is way out of my buying range during this economy. I was thinking about buying a new cheaper one, even though I dislike the newer guns of all kinds. Maybe a Rock Island or Springfield Armory would do, but they look and feel like about what they are, a cheap copy of the Colt. Any ideas? RR7
I bought my Gold Cup way back in the early 80's. It had to go back to colt under warantee. Shot that gun through advanced levels at LFI, & DTI.
I've since bought a Commander, then later a 1991 - all three sizes. I've learned to do my own smithing on them. Not always pretty, but mine shoot reliably anf accurately. The Gold Cup should have been reblued 20 years ago.

That was then, this is NOW. When something goes bump in the night, I'm grabbing the HiK USP 45! Or the USP45c. Maybe the G19 Glock.

If you gotta have a 1911, go other than colt. There are reasons why Kimber, S&W, Ruger, et al are selling well. Colt is not a 1911leader.
Don't listen to me, I'm a heretic. Search for Larry Vickers and read his articles, written from experience

I have looked at other 45's they do not appeal to me. There is a reason the 1911 is so popular. Not every one likes plastic guns and I prefer the 1911 over them. Others may not but I think the 1911 is a classic and worth owning.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If you change your mind, the Ruger is a good gun. Just took mine to the range yesterday, for the first time. Shooting indoors @50ft I used some old ball ammo and if you take away the two shots I pulled, there would have been two holes 1" left, 1 hole 3/4" high and 5 shots in essencially the same hole. My Series 80 Gold cup doesn't shoot that well yet.

First rounds out of the box were my 230 cast bullet loads. Plus I shot some 200gr rnfp bullets too, never a hiccup with the gun. Takes alot to impress me with a gun, the Ruger did so. It shot better than Dad's old aircrew gun(Korea), a Remington-Rand, which shoots Very well indeed!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jh45gun wrote:
BrianSH wrote:

I have looked at other 45's they do not appeal to me. There is a reason the 1911 is so popular. Not every one likes plastic guns and I prefer the 1911 over them. Others may not but I think the 1911 is a classic and worth owning.
I do like plastic guns and own a few, but I love 1911s. From entry level to top of the line. Some of us just like 1911s regardless of whether something more modern or "better" is available; sort of the same mentality as those of us who truly value and appreciate lever guns.
Hard to explain to non believers.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Pete44ru wrote:I put my wallet where my mouth was, after several Colts, Springers, Natn'l Ord, & others.

I found that I just couldn't live with the "Made in Brazil" (Springfield), and various other offshore makers marks, on the frame(s).
You only have to look for a 'GENESEO IL USA' marked Springfield then. Both of my Springfields are 'NM' versions and they are built right here in the USA where many think that they are built with better craftsmanship. However, IMBEL, who builds the Brazilian Springfield 1911s has a superior international reputation ... they used to manufacture the FAL.

Per the Springfield Factory Customer Service department, if it's made in the USA it will be marked on the right hand side of the frame as follows:

SPRINGFIELD INC
GENESEO IL USA
NM XXXXXX (s/n)

I it's made in Brazil it will be marked 'Made in Brazil' it will be marked on the right hand side of the frame as follows:

S.I. Geneseo IL USA
Made In Brazil - IMBEL
N XXXXXXX (s/n)
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I had the bug last spring, I made up my mind that if I got a 1911, it would have a pony on it. Good luck with your 1911.

Joe
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:I put my wallet where my mouth was, after several Colts, Springers, Natn'l Ord, & others.

You only have to look for a 'GENESEO IL USA' marked Springfield then. Both of my Springfields are 'NM' versions and they are built right here in the USA where many think that they are built with better craftsmanship. However, IMBEL, who builds the Brazilian Springfield 1911s has a superior international reputation ... they used to manufacture the FAL.

Per the Springfield Factory Customer Service department, if it's made in the USA it will be marked on the right hand side of the frame as follows:

SPRINGFIELD INC
GENESEO IL USA
NM XXXXXX (s/n)

I it's made in Brazil it will be marked 'Made in Brazil' it will be marked on the right hand side of the frame as follows:

S.I. Geneseo IL USA
Made In Brazil - IMBEL
N XXXXXXX (s/n)
Now that's interesting. I never knew that about the frame address marking. My GI has the SPRINGFIELD INC GENESEO IL USA 47XXX on the right side of the frame but the bottom of the dust cover (very lightly) is marked Imbel Brazil - or possibly Brasil - I'll have to look when I get home. I've noticed other GI models with the Made in Brazil above the serial number. Made (assembled) in the USA, maybe that is why mine is a good shooter compared to some that others have reported.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

rangerider7 wrote: ...If not I can live with it. I just don't like the look or feel of the new ones. Again thanks a lot. Take care, RR7.
RR7, I can understand your sentiment about the "new ones". I hold these "improved"1911's with the same regard.

I believe what turns you and me off about most current offerings are are the bells and whistles which seem to dominate most current manufacturers product line; ie, beavertail grip safety, flat mainspring housing, long ventilated trigger with all manner of holes drilled in them, extremely unattractive goofy looking "Commander" hammer, full length guide rod, series 80 safety gizmos, two tone frames and slides, matte finishes, colors of all manner and description by "shake and bake" miracle coatings, exaggerated safety levers (single or ambi), extended slide release and sights of this and that description. And often with grips that tend to trigger a gag reflex in many of of us who appreciate class over crass. Have you seen some of them? Whew!

Man, what they have done to the classic 1911 is nigh on stupid. The venerated pistol stood the test of time for decades and generations. But then custom builders, multiplying like rabbits, started their operations and marketing. To set themselves apart they began to to convince a newer generation of 1911 fans that all the old school charm of JB's design, and the subsequent minor tweaks leading to the -A1 version, were so outdated that the shooter was severely handicapped in our modern era. These current and esthetically unpleasant ad on features noted above are clearly a symptom of the powerful role marketing plays in skewing choices of all manner of stuff for a culture steeped in having the latest, coolest, and often unneeded toys. Give me a plain old 1911... for I shoot it well, with or without a pony on the side.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

FWIW, I have a S & W E series stainless and it is has been an excellent firearm. Trigger was great right out of the box, sights decent. The fit and finish is beautiful. I haven't put nearly enough rounds though it, 1,000 + - at this point, but the only failure to feed was on reloaded ammo. I have fed it just about every kind of factory ammo, mostly the cheaper stuff, and it shoots superbly. If I could only shoot half as good as it shoots.

Don
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I can understand your position GoatGuy; that's why I have one of both. While I love the look of the original GI version, as an old Armorer, I can tell you that the sights were ...... well, let's be kind and call them "kinda small". Further, the ejection port on the original version could use some lowering to avoid the brass hanging up. And most people will admit that the original 1911s weren't known for being kind to bullet shapes other than round nose ball.

Springfield's Mil-Spec version has addressed those issues (high-profile 3-Dot sights, high-hand grip, beveled magazine well, polished feed ramp and throated barrel, and lower and flared ejection port) and is therefore a better 'GI' version than the original in this old Army Armorer's opinion. However, while I like the classic looks of the Mil-Spec, the trigger on it as well as the original GI version is too close to frame producing an awkward finger position for most of us with 'other than overly short' fingers.

The Range Officer addresses that too (as do many upscale 1911s) with a longer trigger that gives the average shooter a much better trigger position. In addition, the aluminum trigger is much, much crisper and is therefore just perfect. While it's beavertail doesn't wow me, the bump on the bottom of it (center of the grip) makes it easier to disengage the grip safety than the original version. Finally, the larger thumb safety lever is easier to release with gloves on so there ya go, something for everyone.
Steve
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

COSteve - forgive me for being so dogmatic, nearly caustic re: my taste in 1911's. Having a kinda blue day and facing some things I'd rather avoid. But such is life.

I've owned, traded, sold, re-owned and traded off again 1911's over the years for the better part of my adult life. Only within the last three decades have I been able to acquire and keep the same one around the place for any length of time. Always have tinkered with those I've kept by adding an ambi safety (I'm a lefty), springs etc. More just foolin' around.

I've shot a fair amount of IDPA with the .45 acp and did so exclusively with a SA mil-spec manufactured in the late 1980's. With the exception of some SA higher profile sights, which came available in the mid 90's, a colt ambi safety (think Mueske type) and a Dwyer group gripper, the SA is box stock and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. So I'm certainly not one who hates that brand. Have also have had and liked Colts. A gunsmith friend of mine carries an Officers model RIA daily and swears by it. I just find it somewhat ludicrous that today's 1911 buyer believes and swears that only a fully tricked out piece is required for most use, including self defense. I contend that an old school 1911 that is proven reliable can take care of one needs just as well. I also believe that the average owner would be served better with a stock pistol and use the savings over some of the +$1,000 dollar guns and ...invest that savings on multiple 1000's rounds of ammo sent down range.

It's just my opinion and what I've found suits me best.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

No problem with your position, however, some of us 'seasoned' shooters have not aged well in some areas. I'm one of those and my eyesight isn't anything what it use to be so the standard GI sights on a 1911 are virtually useless to me, hence the attraction to the higher 3-dot version. Further, the hands have some arthritis and the larger safety is much easier to operate as is the grip safety with the added bump in the middle. Were I 20 again, I wouldn't have need for any of it. :lol:
Steve
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

As Steve mentioned the NM numbered pistols are US made and to me there is a difference. I have a NM mil-spec and the slide to frame fit is outstanding on this "bargain" pistol. I put in a Wilson trigger, hammer and sear spring and haven't looked back. It's a great shooter. I have a Colt series 80 enhanced LW comander with a few mods for carry.
As far as plastic I keep a Glock 21SF with a tlr-1 for nightstand duty. It is a great pistol. Reliable and shoots well but no 1911. Especially when it comes to carry.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I can get by fine with a stock Government model if I have to. The things that are most important to me are:
1. I like an arched mainspring housing, instead of the flat mainspring housing so popular today, combined with a short trigger and a sharply checkered set of wood grips.

2. I can get by without an ambi-safety, but being left handed, I am happier with one, but if I was not left handed, you couldn't hardly give me one.

Other then that, I just want everything to work smooth, and slick, and be 100% reliable which mine are.

I liked a beveled mag well, but I hate any kind of extended oversized mag well, I don't need it, and I hate the extra bulk and weight.

As far a sights go, I like the BoMar Adjustible rear sights on my 5 inch competition guns, but on a carry gun, I want it low profile and simple. Even GI sights are fine with me. The one thing that I find unnecessary is night sights, as they don't seem to work unless it's pitch dark, a plain old 3 dot sight is superior any other time to a night sight, as the tridium just doesn't show up on the night sighted guns that I own, unless it too dark to identify the target anyway.

Extended mag releases can get you killed, and extended slide releases are really not needed for most people, and who in the heck needs a light rail on a 1911?

Full length guide rods, I can take them on a competition gun, but don't really want or need them otherwise.

Lowered ejection ports are improvements over the original design, espacally if you reload.

Beaver Tail grip safeties are an improvement, and I like them on my guns, but I don't need the raised bump, so popular today, I guess some people do.

Commander hammers, look cool, but frankly I like the spur hammer better, although you do have to shorten the spur a little when using most beaver safeties. I like the spur because I am a little bit old school, and will sometimes carry hammer down on a loaded chamber, although the experts discourage it, and for most people that is good advice, espacally if your gun has a commander hammer.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

COSteve wrote:No problem with your position, however, some of us 'seasoned' shooters have not aged well in some areas. Have that, I'll be 71 in March 2013 I'm one of those and my eyesight isn't anything what it use to be so the standard GI sights on a 1911 are virtually useless to me, hence the attraction to the higher 3-dot version. Got that also - During last visit to the optometrist was told I'll need cataract surgery in the not too distant future. That's moot to the issue as I mention I have high vis 3 dot sights on my SA Further, the hands have some arthritis - Have that too, trigger finger on right hand so warped and crooked, along with several others on both hands, that it won't fit in the trigger guard with clearance to adequately rest on the trigger. Fortunately as mentioned I'm a lefty and really baby that left index digit and the larger safety is much easier to operate as is the grip safety with the added bump in the middle. Were I 20 again, I wouldn't have need for any of it.:lol: I hear ya' talkin'
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You could say that--- 1 GI Colt from the teens, 3- 70 series Gold Cups, 70 series Govt in bright nickel, a Norinco govt model that shoots wonderful.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... s008-1.jpg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rangerider7 wrote:Guys, your sure have me confused now. Thanks to all of you for your input. I know by in the last few weeks of looking at all the new pistols, they will not satisfy me. I will just wait for a good trade if it comes along. A dealer friend of mind for years has a Colt 1911 with cattle brands engraved all over it. I need bling if I am going the 1911 route and I will see if we can make a decent deal. That is the only way I will keep it in my collection. The Texas Rangers used them for years. If not I can live with it. I just don't like the look or feel of the new ones. Again thanks a lot. Take care, RR7.
OH!! Why didn't you say so earlier? In THAT case!
Or:
Or, the one I'm drooling over:
and will order as soon as my Lotto numbers come up!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

But Griff, those are all scratched - :D
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Griff, can I get one of those for around 500-800 dollars? :lol: Like I say it will be a few months before I see my buddy so I guess I will "let it ride' for now. If it happens it will be a sweat and blood letting trade. :( RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve, I looked at mine this morning and the right side is roll marked:

SPRINGFIELD INC
GENESEO IL USA
WW 175XX

The WW is part of the roll mark, the 175XX serial number is stamped. The bottom of the dust cover is lightly marked:
IMBEL BRAZIL
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's a picture of some of mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Rangerider:
I'm sort of like you. Been on again, off again 1911's since I was a kid, and that is a long time ago. Decided I needed to own one again, I suppose because of the 100 year anniversary thing. Looked around at most everything from the $2000+ custom stuff to some of the $500 imported junk. I wanted USA built by an American Co., the standard guide rod, because that is what I know, and I'm too old to learn something new. After scratching my head for several months I bought the Remington 1911 R1. It is about as basic as it gets but with better sights for old eyes. My gun has about 500-600 rnds through it and it has worked perfectly. Don't know what others think of the Remington and don't really care because the gun in my opinion is just perfect for me. Don't know the current price, but I think it fits in your price range.

The best endorsement I can give it is to say I would buy another, especially if they come out with a Commander sized version. I really hate the modern plastic guns, mostly because they work so well you can't pass them up, but the 1911 is where my heart is in semi-autos. Fits with my love of SA revolvers and leverguns. :D
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

For what it is worth, I simply prefer 1911's with vertical serrations in the rear, none in front, Gov't length guide rod, all around classic styling, made here in the US, and yes - The Pony is a good thing. :D

For standard production, our Colt 1911 has a 5" steel frame, the 1991 model. It does have new style rubber grips (Colt medallion), but the wife likes it and she shoots it - so that's OK with me. A set of Trijicon sights complete the pistol.

Not a single bit of trouble, and our next 1911 will likely be a Commander version of the 1991 model Colt 1911/45.

There are some other brands out there, and some do have their own "feel". It's your money, spend it the way you want.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I knew 1911's were popular but; this forumn could be renamed "Levergunners who own and 1911's" :P I wonder if the members on the 1911 forumns are this enthusiastic about lever actions? :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3leggedturtle wrote:I knew 1911's were popular but; this forumn could be renamed "Levergunners who own and 1911's" :P I wonder if the members on the 1911 forumns are this enthusiastic about lever actions? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably not! But, as an observation, while there are many manufacturer's and a few designs for the operating of leverguns... leading to a diverse group... one 1911 is pretty much like any other 1911... exceptions being cosmetics.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I'm extremely new to the 1911 game, having only owned one a couple months and shooting it about a hundred times. I bought a Ruger SR1911 and it has been a lot of fun. First 50 rounds were el' cheapo steel cased hardball, and the next 50 were handloads with 230 grain lead bullets I cast using a lee mold. It has ate everything perfectly.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

3leggedturtle wrote:I knew 1911's were popular but; this forumn could be renamed "Levergunners who own and 1911's" :P I wonder if the members on the 1911 forumns are this enthusiastic about lever actions? :D
That's what happens when you are talking about gun designs that are 100+ years old. Seems perfectly logical to me. :D Even the Wild Bunch used leverguns and 1911's. Not quite the same as a lever and a SA six gun, but not bad. Now, if we were discussing ugly Glocks, that would be a mismatch. :roll: :? :wink:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Uglier than a mud fence!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Griff wrote:...as an observation... one 1911 is pretty much like any other 1911... exceptions being cosmetics.
:shock: Huh?!...that's like saying except for cosmetics, a 1980s USRAC model 94 is pretty much like any pre-'64 Winchester model 94... Sheesh.... :roll:
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I walked into a local CalRanch store and they had the Ruger SR1911 for $679, if you bought one they gave you a $25 gift card....so I bought one......cause I needed the gift card.......lol
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well,
I feel better about what I paid for my p1911!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

damienph wrote:
Griff wrote:...as an observation... one 1911 is pretty much like any other 1911... exceptions being cosmetics.
:shock: Huh?!...that's like saying except for cosmetics, a 1980s USRAC model 94 is pretty much like any pre-'64 Winchester model 94... Sheesh.... :roll:
Yep, that's what I was sayin'. The internal workings ARE the same from 1911 to 1911, but; Narllins differ from Spencers and then again from both JMB and BTH based designs from Winchester. So, we seem to be a more "accepting" of our "differences" than a group dedicated to one basic design. Tho'
Meeteetse wrote:
That's what happens when you are talking about gun designs that are 100+ years old. Seems perfectly logical to me. :D Even the Wild Bunch used leverguns and 1911's. Not quite the same as a lever and a SA six gun, but not bad. Now, if we were discussing ugly Glocks, that would be a mismatch. :roll: :? :wink:
Meeteetse was closer to the mark!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!