geneology

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

geneology

Post by Mescalero »

My brother just called,
Apparently I qualify to be a son of the American Revolution.
Whatever that is :? :?
Hobie

Re: geneology

Post by Hobie »

Sons of the American Revolution

Somebody who is your direct ancestor fought for or supported the American Revolution. People are often surprised by just which organizations in which the genealogy is a qualifying condition that they can be members. E.g. I can be a SAR but also the other side's equivalent, the United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I just recently found out I can be a SAR on three different branches.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie,
Is that real?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I also am a SAR on my father's side a couple times over. Looking at getting me and my daughter registered (DAR).
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

So this is real?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

According to my dad's family tree (extensive research by a cousin) first arrival to new world is 1639 right behind the pilgrims. :wink:
Have several ancestors fighting in the revolution as well as the War between the States. 8)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:So this is real?
Absolutely. There are many organizations based on pride in what one's ancestors did which require proof of a blood-line to at least one particular person for membership.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My 4 x great granpa came here from France & fought in the Rev. and was wounded
at the battle of Brandy Wine,Glad he came over & real happy he didnt get killed

dont worry guys Im only 1/4 French

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
no problem.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Evidently, I'm some sort of relative of that Peter Stivicent guy of New Amsterdam fame
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I have ancestors that lived in Connecticut, and Virginia at that time but I can't make a connection as to weather they actually fought in the war or not.
Terry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Mother is in the process of proving it so she can be in the DAR. We had one of the Lawhorn ancestors who was at Ft McHenry when the Star Spangled Banner was still waving the next morning. That was, of course, in the war of 1812, and not the Revolutionary war. We are trying to prove the earlier service. Some old records are difficult to corroborate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

We were red necks and illiterate in three languages. I'm so proud. :lol:
Click Click Boom
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was at a dedication for the Florida Cow Calvary Monument here in our town and talked to a guy from the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I told him that I had traced my ancestors and found that I had a G,G,G, uncle that fought in the Confederate 4th Maryland Light Artillery. I also explained that I was adopted as I was wondering if that would be an issue if I wanted to join. He told me that with the SCV they would accept the word of a Southern Gentleman as good enough, unlike the Daughters of Confederate Veterans that required every "T" crossed and every "I" dotted.
I guess it's all a mater of standards.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

IIRC, 10% of the American population has roots to someone who lived and/or fought at the time.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The issue of race is also one of those things that sometimes bugs certain people tracing their roots. DNA is now answering some questions on this. Just look up the Melungeon if you've time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

This is cool I also belong to the SAR on both my mom and dad side. My fathers side landed at Jamestown in 1620. I spent a lot of time seaching. I found a lot of information just takes time lots of time. I also tracked down a lot of Great Aunts that where members of the DAR.
BD
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Both sides of my family fought under Washington. My surname ancestor was a Lieutenant.
Billy, my mother's ancestor was at Jamestown.

Much of Kentucky was settled by RW veterans who were given land grants in lieu of back pay and pension.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:So this is real?
yes it is real

I am also a son
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats - My only claim to fame is that I'm a 3rd generation S.O.B. ;) . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Congrats. You dont seem to know much about it but that is a special thing. I qualify to be in that also (though I have not joined yet). I am also in the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I'm an eleventh generation American. My ancestor came over from England in 1635 as an indentured servant. My kin has fought in all of this country's wars. i found one ancestor who was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War. He was in a cavalry unit from Georgia; the Effingham Reg't M Light Horse.....he may have been a Red Coat! I'm still looking for more information.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Because of some family misfortunes affecting two generations, my dad had no real knowledge of his father's family tree. I ran across some paperwork after one of my aunts passed away that gave us a thread to start tracing, and it led back to the Revolutionary War (there are braches of his family that were in America well before 1700).

Found some Revolutionary war ancestors, both military (one a LtCol in a Maryland unit of ethnic Germans,* another a drummer boy who also guarded British prisoners) and D.A.R. listed "patriotic service" (a miller who supplied the Continental Army with flour).

Also found some fairly well-to-do people up there in the top branches of the family tree, but any money or property went to other lines long before my dad showed up.

*This one resigned his commission because he didn't get a regimental command. His son (a brother of my ancestor) went on to become a brigadier of the Maryland Militia and was one of three Baltimoreans who commissioned the sewing of the flag that flew above Ft. McHenry... and which inspired Francis Scott Key.

"You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family."
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Because of some family misfortunes affecting two generations, my dad had no real knowledge of his father's family tree.
We have some connection problems too. Redcoats burning courthouses maybe?

Anyhow, DNA is your friend when searching for relatives. You can find out a lot of interesting stuff. We didn't find the connection we are looking for, but that might take someone else following up with their DNA.

We found some things we never would have guessed or known.

'Course nowadays it probably just moves us up higher on the hit list.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Grizz wrote:We have some connection problems too. Redcoats burning courthouses maybe?
Nothing that exciting, I'm afraid.

In a nutshell, it's just a case - or so we think - of a mother's early death, followed by some intense daughter/stepmother antipathy, then finally the daughter losing her husband and having their son stray too far (geographically). One lady who gave me some information said that if you dig far enough, every family is soap opera material.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is certainly true of my bunch. :?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Gobblerforge wrote:We were red necks and illiterate in three languages. I'm so proud. :lol:
My family (both sides) have been in south Louisiana since the 1760s. They were notorious for staying out of "English" wars at least up until WWII. Most spoke both French and English but could not read or write either. We've been here a long time but none of us could qualify for the Sons or Daughters of the American Revolution.