45-70 vs 44 special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

45-70 vs 44 special?

Post by Jaguarundi »

Well with conviction of purchasing a New 1895 Marlin in 45-70 I arrived at my local gun emporium.When I entered the usual crowd was hanging around.The owner was showing two customers(local docters)a firearm.The owner went to the back room to retrieve another firearm.Upon returning he hands me a new trade in.A used Cimarron 66 Yellowboy 19" barrelled saddle ring carbine chambered in 44 special to hold while the doc's examine another rifle.Well I ask how much?Well the price was right at $700 for a safe queen out the door.I did some swift trading and real cost to me was $500 out the door. 8) I love surprise's!:D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I'm sure you're already aware of this fact but for those that are not the toggle-link design 1866 & 1873 Winchesters even the newly made clones are not designed to take any more pressure than that factory loaded 44 Special so don't try and hot-rod the 44 Special into a 44 mag light, the design can't handle the pressure. $500 sounds like an excellent deal on your rifle, you'll have fun, but for hunting the 45/70 of course a better round. :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

No hotrodding with this 1866 clone.Once seen 20 years ago a gent hotrod a charter arms bulldog(44 special)revolver.He was lucky that half the cylinder cleared his head :shock: !after peeling the top strap back.I'll stick to my Marlin 308MX or Puma 92 in 45 colt for hunting. :wink:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm sure you're already aware of this fact but for those that are not the toggle-link design 1866
I thought the Cimaron was a Uberti clone of the 1866 Winchester with the toggle link action in a brass frame (another reason to keep it mild).
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

WOW I have never seen one in 44 Special I OWNED one in 44/40 I liked it and woud love to have one in 44 spl. I have always wanted a Henry in that cal , and there was one run of them made for either Dixie or Cimarron about 8 or nine years ago ,from what I have learned , in the Henry I inquired at the time I bought mine ( 66 Yellow boy ) to seeif it was available in 44 spl but could find no referrence to it> ID SELL A COUPLE OF MINE FOR ONE IN 44 SPL
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sweet!
That should be a fun rifle but YOU FORGOT PICS. :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

44 Special is an overlooked round these days. Everybody has
to have a magnum. 44 Special is a pussycat in my magnum
revolver - it must be a FUN round to shoot in a rifle. Sounds
like you did all right. :D
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Fun, yes.
But will it kill an elephant :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I think you made a great eal on your rifle!! You will never lose money on that one. The .44 Special is one of my favorite cartridges. It will still kill a deer, in factory form, but I would limit the range to 50 or 60 Yards. Good luck, and a picture please!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

After a dozen tries with flash/not this is the best camera will do!The "brass" is mirror polish(I could shave with it-no dips or scratches) and very bright.The rifle is like new condition.Bluehawk the original owner ordered this rifle (via the same gunshop he traded it back to)about 8 years ago. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A little Photoshopping helps some...

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Thanks Old Ironsights :wink: .
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

I was thinking of the Marlin 1894, 44, and using it mostly with 44 Special. Is there any problem shooting these in the long chambers of the 44 mag? It is only a 1/8" difference, or could one set the barrel back? What about the 1/38 rifling.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Jaguarundi - listen to Marlin .35 - he's obviously a gent of good
sense and distinction! :D
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

tomD, you will probably come up with the same two problems that we come up with when shooting 38s out of our 357s.
1/ crud buildup in the end of the chamber which will need to be scrubbed out before 44mag will fit again.
2/ if you use the wrong kind of load you risk burning a ring into your chamber, which happens in the 357 with lite bullets at low velocities(in as little as 100 rounds).
I would suggest doing what I do, use the full size cartridge and load it back to the same ballistics as the special.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.