The Winchester model 71 a new story.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win71
Levergunner

The Winchester model 71 a new story.

Post by Win71 »

Yes, the Model 71, .348 is a keeper for sure my 1937 standard model was purchased by my Dad the week he returned to Michigan from WW II in Europe in 1945. The rifle was hanging for sale in the Dixie Bar in Mackinaw City, price $100, it went home with Dad and has been in the family since. Over the years it has accounted for many memorable hunts and many Michigan whitetails by Dad, until his passing in 1996 and myself since. This year as a tribute to Dad, I took the old Model 71 on a Michigan Elk hunt after drawing a cow tag for the December hunt. I was hunting with my wife, my son, my brother and a few other friends in the Pigeon River State Forest about 65 miles from my home, on the 7th day of the hunt a nice cow elk was taken when a single shot from the .348 Winchester was placed behind the front shoulder at 200 yards. The elk staggered and dropped as is so familiar after hearing the bang – thud from Barnes 250 grain bullet striking home. Another memory was created by the old rifle with Dad smiling down on me, my family and friends and his Winchester model 71. Merry Christmas to all.Image
Last edited by Win71 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Winchester model 71 a new story.

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great story, fine looking rifle....
and a nice pile of elk meat...
merry christmas...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW, Great gun, great history, great shooting.
The only gun of my dad's of similar vintage is a type 99 7.7mm Arisaka he brought back from occupied Japan that and a cavalry saber. I always thought it would be nice to hunt with it. I also have a 1921 vintage 1903 Springfield but he got that in the 1950s through the NRA civilian marksmanship program.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

thats a great story, very nice pix of the elk you & the old 71, also like the Stormy Kromer! :mrgreen:

ollogger
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

That 250 grain Barnes is a hammer in the .348! Great job!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful story and picture! that is what this site and lever guns are all about.

thank you!!!
cable
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Great story & photo.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a great pic, I like the flannel hat. What scope and mount are on it,and When was it mounted? 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Great hunting and shooting with my sentimental favorite rifle and cartridge! Thanks for sharing a wonderful personal story.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some of you have such history with your rifles. Congrats!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Durn good thing you did not shoot him behind that back shoulder :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting enjoy that elk meat, using your Dads rifle makes it a better memory. danny
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

OUTSTANDING...!!!!!!!!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Fantastic!! What a Christmas dinner.Elk. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Win71
Levergunner

Post by Win71 »

Thanks all, a question came up regarding the scope and mount. Yes, it happened back in 1965 when my Dad's eyesight started to fail some. He had a local gunsmith drill and tap the Winchester and mounted a a Weaver K-4 in a Weaver mount, the Weaver has long since fogged and it is currently wearing a Leupold M-8 Compact, 2.5 x 20. I know money part of the equation is hurt but this Model 71 isn't for sale and never will be! Merry Christmas All.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Fantastic
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Heartwarming post sir! A fine elk taken with your late father's lever rifle. Bet he was watching you make that shot!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great post. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your kill. Love that rifle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Win71 wrote:Thanks all, a question came up regarding the scope and mount. Yes, it happened back in 1965 when my Dad's eyesight started to fail some. He had a local gunsmith drill and tap the Winchester and mounted a a Weaver K-4 in a Weaver mount, the Weaver has long since fogged and it is currently wearing a Leupold M-8 Compact, 2.5 x 20. I know money part of the equation is hurt but this Model 71 isn't for sale and never will be! Merry Christmas All.
Way 8) . Might try your mount on my 71 carbine when eyes go bad :oops: Thanks!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Congrats on a fine elk and very nice rifle.
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Nice Elk! Great Story. Wonderful Rifle!

Merry Christmas!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Win71 wrote:Thanks all, a question came up regarding the scope and mount. Yes, it happened back in 1965 when my Dad's eyesight started to fail some. He had a local gunsmith drill and tap the Winchester and mounted a a Weaver K-4 in a Weaver mount, the Weaver has long since fogged and it is currently wearing a Leupold M-8 Compact, 2.5 x 20. I know money part of the equation is hurt but this Model 71 isn't for sale and never will be! Merry Christmas All.
Just curious is all. Get tired of all "experts" whining about guns being bubba'd. Its a rifle made to hunted with, and your dad was smart enough to make his rifle work for him. My sights get fuzzy and I scope and peep most of my rifles. I also didnt realize there were elk in Michigan, or did you shoot it elsewhere? Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Win71
Levergunner

Post by Win71 »

Elk were native in Michigan until the 1880's, then were re-introduced in 1918 with a small group of animals released near Vanderbuilt in the North Central Lower Pennisula. The herd grew throughout the years until it reached a size that threated it's habitat and the animals became a problem to local farmers when they expanded their range. Hunting of the elk started annually in the 1980's as a tool to manage the herd to keep them in their range in the Pigeon River State Forest. The herd is kept between 800-1000 in number, but usually reaches 1200-1500 each fall. So the DNR draws about 200 or more licenses from applicants each June for hunts in September, December and sometimes January if the quota isn't reached. The drawing is open to Michigan residents only at this time. I was one of 100 selected for the December hunt this year (30 bulls, 70 cows). There is talk of doing a similar drawing for a moose hunt in the future as a management tool in the Upper Pennisula.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

My 71 Standard is also a 1937....thankfully it has open sights, as a peep is too hard to lock on a Deer anymore.....58 and my eye site gets a little worse every year.....so for hunting unless it's up close I reach for a scoped rifle or shotgun.......kevin

All three are Winchesters.......