I Was Surprised At Cabela's Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

I Was Surprised At Cabela's Today

Post by Blaine »

I went more or less just to get out of the house. When I got there, it was not anymore crowded than any other Sunday near closing time. Predictably, they were out of AR-Type rifles. There were no bulk ammo buys. But, they had everything else in good quantity: .223, 7.62x39, plenty of all types of pistol ammo. Lot's of everything, but, only ten boxes of each type. I got: Six boxes of different 25-06 to see what the new one likes, four boxes of CCI 'Choot 'Em .22 mag (1000 rounds), 10 boxes of Federal .308 150gr FMJ, and some Lee .308, and 25-06 dies....God Bless the Military Discount (you'll be billed for that Fwiedner :P ), and my Cabela Points......They are NOT gouging, or raising prices on anything as far as I could tell....Kudos to them...they've earned a lot more of my business in future. :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I Was Surprised At Cabela's Today

Post by arjunky »

I don't see our local guys raising anything either. Although the cabelas we have in Grand forks is normally plenty high on any normal day. :D

Byron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Good on them !

Only price hike we've made was what the distributers hit us with :(
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

arjunky wrote:I don't see our local guys raising anything either. Although the cabelas we have in Grand forks is normally plenty high on any normal day. :D

Byron
I agree.....I've sort of learned what to buy at WallyWorld, and what to buy at Cabelas. One thing cool about Cabelas, you can order onling, and there is no shipping if you pick it up at the store (not that far for me)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've never really bought ammo or components from Cabelas or Bass Pro . Looked at them more as a camo store then anything else .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I ended up getting my dies from a local guy, but ordered the fancy competition seater from Midway. I took the seater out of the die that came in the set and will use it strictly for crimping. Still gotta order the shellplate from Dillon... and rebuild my loading bench. I think I'll get that done tomorrow or Tuesday, and then work on the New Year's Resolution to keep it neat and tidy!

I just wish that Cabela's was on my side of Dallas, Bass Pro would be welcome over in Ft. Worth... wouldn't they? I'd be a LOT more inclined to shop there if they weren't 71.3 miles away!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I'll concede they usually have what I guy wants to buy or can get it. Personally I haven't been there in 5-6 years. Never make the 200 mile trip anymore. Only real problem I ever had was with fubared older guns with full retail+ prices.

Byron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The local high-volume minimum-markup store didn't mark anything up, either, but the rack that held around fifty 'AR' rifles was bare, as was the rack that held usually a dozen Saigas and another dozen or two 'AK' variants, as was the rack that held usually a dozen Mini-14 variants. EVEN the 10/22's they usually keep in stock (maybe fifteen at any one time, in various configurations) were all sold and gone.

The biggest surprise was that they used to have a rack of around fifty Nagants and other not-as-good-as-Mauser rifles, still in cosmolene. ALL GONE TOO. :o

I strolled back to the lever-action area, and. . . they usually have a rack with about eight Henry's (.44 and .22 and .22M), maybe another dozen Marlins, and twenty Rossi's - they had sold all but four leverguns - a huge-loop Rossi, a Henry .44 with the big brass receiver, and a really ornate .45 Rossi octagonal.

I'd say the citizenry must be pretty well-armed at this point...and they must be desparate if they are stooping to buying leverguns...! :o :lol:

I almost bought something just 'because', but all they had were some pretty lousy tilting-follower plastic AR magazines, so I bought some bright-green para-cord so my son could make a sling thing for his bow. :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I did my Cabelas shoping today online. With both my local Walmarts being out of ammo I decided I had better get some rimfire stuff while the getting was good. While Cabelas online was out of most everything (backorder OK) I did manage to get 2100rds of Fed. Champion (four 525 packs in ammo can) and 1125rds of MiniMags (three 375rd choot 'em packs). I used some of my Cabelas points but even if I was out it would of come to around $161 with no shipping and no tax. Overall, cheaper than it would of been at Walmart.

Should be here just after the New Year :D
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll admit that I'm buying before the price goes up later this year. I'm on a fixed income now, and even though I really should not be buying so much, I truly believe nothing will ever be this cheap again. Going to order a bunch of brass, and bullets/powder etc, as soon as I decide on some different loads. I have cases of the different primers that I bought after the last "panic" was over. I look at this as prudent buying, not panic as I had enough different "stuff" laying around to hold off the local goblins for quite awhile :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was in Cabelas yesterday. Same report, no ARs or Assault Rifles in stock but no gouging going on either. This was about 1030 am, while in the store, the manager came over the intercom and stated that the instant checks site was already backlogged and unfortunately unless they had a CCW that did not require them to call in for a background check, all sales would be delayed. Looks like another record breaking day of gun sales.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

A few years ago I whittled my collection to four calibers... .45acp (for my 1911), .22LR, .357/.38, and 12 gauge. The common theme of my setup is target shooting and home defense. Not a hunter so no bolts.

Two of the guns in the above photo belong to the wife, who came down from Canada about a year and a half ago. Those are a Browning Buckmaster and the pink Charter Arms .38. :lol:

Since I have half a dozen handguns and five long guns... I'm wanting to buy a final long gun to make an even dozen. I simply can't for the life of me think of what rifle to get in my preferred calibers to complete the set.

edit: forgot I also a Ruger LCP in .380.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DBW wrote:A few years ago I whittled my collection to four calibers... .45acp (for my 1911), .22LR, .357/.38, and 12 gauge. The common theme of my setup is target shooting and home defense. Not a hunter so no bolts.

Two of the guns in the above photo belong to the wife, who came down from Canada about a year and a half ago. Those are a Browning Buckmaster and the pink Charter Arms .38. :lol:

Since I have half a dozen handguns and five long guns... I'm wanting to buy a final long gun to make an even dozen. I simply can't for the life of me think of what rifle to get in my preferred calibers to complete the set.

Perhaps, a HiPoint carbine in .45acp? I've heard good reports on those. A Springfield Thompson would be super cool 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Did they have any decent and/or older levers there? Any Single Sixes in 32H+R?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:Did they have any decent and/or older levers there? Any Single Sixes in 32H+R?
Oh, my yes.... :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lot's of very nice old/otherwise Winchester rifles....That 71 I mentioned in Classified would be a dandy, if not a collector's item.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DBW wrote:I simply can't for the life of me think of what rifle to get in my preferred calibers to complete the set.
The Marlin Camp Carbines in .45 ACP are nice, and use 1911 magazines (even evil extended/hi-cap ones).
DBW wrote:edit: forgot I also a Ruger LCP in .380.
Uh-oh... that's FIVE cartridges... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

DBW wrote: Two of the guns in the above photo belong to the wife, who came down from Canada about a year and a half ago. Those are a Browning Buckmaster and the pink Charter Arms .38. :lol:
Nothing wrong with a pink .38. After all, no one at the range will pick it up by mistake... :lol: :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a .45 Camp Carbine, that one will be with me to the end that friend of mine who is the quickest will get it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I have a .45 Camp Carbine, that one will be with me to the end that friend of mine who is the quickest will get it.
I firmly believe that there is nothing that a couple
.45acp 230fmj can't radically change the attitude of....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I cruised on down to Targetmaster last night (well, almost every night :D ) and it was hell on Earth. This guy is factory direct from Colt, Springfield, Remington, Federal and others so he was well stocked up. People have been coming in from 4-500 miles away to get their Colt AR's. Many people walked out with a half dozen or more.

I'm not at liberty to say how many sold but it was alot!. Colt LE6920's started out at 12 last week and climber to 16 last Monday. By Friday, they were 2 g's..............still selling. 6940's started out at 15 and are now 25. In the first pic you will see the wall that holds rifles. On the left are the hunting guns and the right WERE black guns. He just leaves a display Colt there and when someone buys, they just go to the backroom and get a fresh one. It always keeps people guessing on how many are left so they get scared and keep on buying. Hey! This is the East where ruthlessness prevails. :D

This was the common purchase--A Colt AR and a case of ammo.

Just a small stash that is not going to get sold.

One guy is on the job just for restocking the ammo shelves

22 lane range for testing out the goodies
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I don't think there's an AR to be had in Tucson except perhaps the $3500 Christiansen custom carbon fiber jobs. Everything else is gone. Even the camo Remington ARs are completely out of stock everywhere.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine,
I also hold that opinion, that is why the Camp Carbine is a keeper.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

BlaineG wrote:
DBW wrote:A few years ago I whittled my collection to four calibers... .45acp (for my 1911), .22LR, .357/.38, and 12 gauge. The common theme of my setup is target shooting and home defense. Not a hunter so no bolts.

Perhaps, a HiPoint carbine in .45acp? I've heard good reports on those. A Springfield Thompson would be super cool 8)

Didn't even know about the HiPoint. Looks intersting. Thanks for the idea. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Went to what was CDNN website, they must be busy... and this is what I got...

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
DUE TO A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN SALES VOLUME, WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO TEMPORARILY SUSPEND ONLINE ORDERS. ORDERS ALREADY PLACED MAY TAKE 5-8 DAYS TO PROCESS. MAGAZINE QUANTITIES ARE VERY LIMITED & PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME!

Unfortunately there will be some orders that cannot be fulfilled due to inventory shortages. We Sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are doing our best to fill all orders that we can.
YOU MAY CALL 800-588-9500 TO PLACE AN ORDER. OUR PHONES HAVE BEEN OVERWHELMED AS WELL AND YOU MAY EXPERIENCE DELAYS IN GETTING THROUGH!
All employees are coming in early and staying late to process orders as fast as we can. CDNN Appreciates Your Patience and Continued Business!
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...