Traded in gun with TOO MANY Levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Traded in gun with TOO MANY Levers

Post by AJMD429 »

BEFORE:Image AFTER:Image

It is still a double action, but I decided to modify my .45 since it had too many levers - they were sticking out in back over the handgrip, a couple off to the left side, and the dang thing shot only 'shorts.' I had the levers removed, replaced them with a cylinder, and had it modified to the longer cartridge. Heck, I even added half an inch of barrel in the process...

Seriously, I just couldn't get fired up about the 'LDA' trigger, although it WAS incredibly light and smooth. Trouble is, I didn't see any problem with the regular 1911 trigger, and there are WAY LESS PARTS in an ordinary 1911 (or Para single action).

Besides, I owned no .45 Colt, and my .454 Puma was lonesome... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Let me welcome you to the .45colt club. I warn you though this will lead to a lot of gun purchases as you find out what an awesome round this is. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

AJMD, for the sake of your Puma, that was probably a good move. The thought of lonely leverguns just breaks my heart. :( That's why I'll be looking for a Ruger companion for my 1894c Marlin at the Indy gun show next weekend. Now, what kind of companion do I get for my 45-70 Marlin? :?
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

nemhed wrote:AJMD, for the sake of your Puma, that was probably a good move. The thought of lonely leverguns just breaks my heart. :( That's why I'll be looking for a Ruger companion for my 1894c Marlin at the Indy gun show next weekend. Now, what kind of companion do I get for my 45-70 Marlin? :?

http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR.asp In 45-70 of course :wink:
Phil
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

1894, I'm man enough to admit I'm not man enough for that BFR. I had a T.C. Contender that I got a real good deal on; it came with a 10" 45-70 barrel. It was extremely unpleasant to shoot :shock:, which translated into no fun for me. That ended my curiosity about really powerfull handguns. :wink:
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

As my first post I live by this credo - Less is more.

I'm not a gun enthusiast like most members on this forum, though I've been a gun owner for over twenty plus years. When I was in the military I was keen for black rifles. Now that I'm getting older I've developed an interest in leveractions. Semi-auto pistols are gone as I've moved to snubby revolvers. Politics and religion are only discussed between my wife and I as I learned nobody but she and I care about my opinions. Speaking of wives, I traded my first complicated model in on my current, less complicated one. :wink:

Back to lurking.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

DBW, Welcome to the forum! Good thought provoking first post, but don't you "need" at least one more levergun? :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well done doctor, I have owned a Colt SAA in .45Colt since 1959 and I do enjoy the finest handgun round there is. I reckon you'll be looking for a good SAA before long enjoy it.

DBW,welcome to a great gun family and stay around with us.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

While I do like my Glock 19 and it has it's uses, I much prefer revolvers and my favorite is a 4 inch Python . I have a Ruger New Vaq .357 coming from Steve Young, should get here hopefully today so can pick it up after the 10 day wait, can't wait to shoot that baby and I will post pics soon.

DBW, welcome to the forum, lots of knowledge to be gained here.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:AJMD, for the sake of your Puma, that was probably a good move. The thought of lonely leverguns just breaks my heart. :( That's why I'll be looking for a Ruger companion for my 1894c Marlin at the Indy gun show next weekend. Now, what kind of companion do I get for my 45-70 Marlin? :?
Only LeverNuts worry about these things, but as a fellow sufferer of the condition, perhaps a wildcat based on a shortened .45-70 case? In my case, I saw no need for a .454 handgun, but felt the 'upward compatible' .45 LC would be reasonable.

What it is about the human mind (or aberrancy of same) that fixates on 'nice pairs' I don't know, but I also will someday no doubt find and get a modern rendition of .32-20 in a single action revolver. Too pricey for me at this point, but symmetry is beautiful.

Hell, even a Ruger 10/22 just HAS to have a Ruger Mark II pistol to go with it, doesn't it...? 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

nemhed wrote:1894, I'm man enough to admit I'm not man enough for that BFR. I had a T.C. Contender that I got a real good deal on; it came with a 10" 45-70 barrel. It was extremely unpleasant to shoot :shock:, which translated into no fun for me. That ended my curiosity about really powerfull handguns. :wink:
Blaine's BFR is a kitten with my 525g load and his 405g load. No recoil worth mentioning. Better grip geometry methinks.

AJMD429, nice choice. I prefer wheel-guns myself. Currently don't own a single pistol, and don't miss 'em.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Gotta love those wheelguns!

I've never owned and probably won't own an auto pistol. I like me some SAA.

If I were to get a gun for concealed carry, it would be something in .357 mag with at least a 4" barrel and a double action. Probably a Ruger.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Any of you check out the "BFR" site above?

I knew they made .45-70 revolvers (I've held one in my own TWO hands!)

...but did you all know they make .444 Marlin revolvers...?

...how about .30-30 revolvers...?
"For the man who has everything..."

"Hey, wanna see my thutty-thutty?" :shock:

Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

ho HO!

I saw the .30-30, and usually in the first 0.03 seconds of the thought process involving, "Would I buy it?" the question first is, "Do I have a set of dies for that?".

Of course I do, and thought the .30-30 would not be all that bad form a 10-inch revolver built to take it.

I could be wrong though.

:roll:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Glad you got a "Realgun-wheelgun".Gotta luv 45 colt.I own 2 levers,2 revs and 1 derringer in 45 caliber(2 in 454,3 in 45 colt). :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Well personally I like my semi-autos a lot too. Especially my Springfield XDs. I've had handguns for 30 years but just bought my 1st SA about a month ago. Never cared for the way they felt in my hand.

But I've grown to really like this .22lr, may have to buy a few more.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.