Snow removal back in 1939

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Snow removal back in 1939

Post by 336A »

Here is a blast from the past for you fellas, snow plowing in Tug Hill NY. Just found this video a few minutes ago, some of those guys were pretty darn brave standing front of that plow :shock:
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Snow removal back in 1939

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Had you intended to post a link to the video?
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

:oops: Sorry about that fellas' here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZR2WbD3Hz0&sns=fb
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That was pretty neat. They must be from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation as I see one guy doing the work and 20 guys watching.

Did 'ya notice how safety changes have been made? People standing right in the middle of the road when the plows come crashing through. :D -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

[quote="Sixgun"]That was pretty neat. They must be from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation as I see one guy doing the work and 20 guys watching.

Sixgun,

Those PennDOT workers are very sensitive about being caught standing around. One time I slowly drove through a work zone and the highway workers were standing everywhere I looked. So, since my window was open I started to point at each of them like I was counting. About a dozen of them started yelling at me and one even threw his donut at me.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Having been on the working end of a shovel more than a few times, I can avow that only one man fits in the hole at once, the other three or four get their turn every so often when the one guy gets tired. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow!! Many Thanks for posting this. I really Like to see How "They" did it in years gone by. No power steering? no hydrolic controls for the plow? These Drivers were Men of Steel.....a 700 Cubic Inch engine....there is NO replacement for Displacment .............................. :o :o :o :D :D :D .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That was awesome,
I think they rated H.P. in a different way back then

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Certainly not at 5500 RPM.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I bet it red-lined at 1500 rpm.

No replacement for displacement, but speed sure helps. Old lubricating oil was nothing like it is today.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

went thru that in 68 too....15' drifts....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That's amazing! But man has the internal desire to "improve" (whatever that means), doesn't he? Back then, it was a great "improvement" to open drifts and man's ingenuity developed the tools to do it with. Up until that point in time, it's not a wonder people stayed home more back then and tinkered, baked cookies, etc. because there were usually not a lot of places to go to. Nowadays, they can't there fast enough. Add in texting, and iPads and it gets more hectic. There are just fewer and fewer people around now with social skills or the gift to gab. Seems like society is being overrun with zombies. I wish I had grown up in that era. Just watching my elders simple lifestyle is a testament to their joy of pure living and clean fun.

I think the membership at leverguns overall has an affinity for the old days in a lot of ways. After all lever guns from yesteryear are what bring us together, right? :wink:

Sixgun and Steelbanger will probably appreciate this: Did you hear about the guy who sent his wife to town to pick him up a pair of loafers? She returned with two PENNDOT workers! LOL
1894c

Post by 1894c »

boy does that bring back memories...i grew up in Syracuse, NY...worked for a brief time in Fulton, NY...and hunted in the Tug Hill Plateau area...moved out west 1n 1998 haven't looked back...although i still have my snow shovels... :)

here's a pic of my friend clearing out his driveway 2 years ago in
Fulton, NY (home of Hunter Arms the makers of L.C. Smith shotguns)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Very cool video !! Thanks for sharing it !

This was from 2008 I believe , A little snow in upstate NY :o :o :o

http://dbkp.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/gl ... ertown-ny/
Phil
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They may have waited a little too long to get the plows out! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

As I am retired, here is an invention of mine which could change the way we plow snow.
SnowPlow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

My other hobby is model railroading. The rotary was invented in 1869 by Toronto, Canada dentist J.W. Elliot.

Old school steam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBSuNz3g0oA

New school school diesel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37tFRJW8JWY

There may have been a highway version for trucks in 1934: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15283643@N04/4257777826/
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe the Cumbres and Toltec has a couple of rotaries.

http://youtu.be/Wr8Z-PL2zrw
http://youtu.be/PPwPcb7CBgo
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson