.357 hunting stories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

.357 hunting stories

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Anybody have any stories they want to share?
I've been hanker'n for another lever in .357.
About 25 yrs ago, I had a Rossi Puma with the medallion, loaded with 158gr jsp, and had 4 does come about 25yds from me right to left, I dropped the 1st one, and then levered again and dropped the third. Then I realized I now had to drag two back to the PU. Live and learn. Sure was fun though.
That little rifle killed about 20 deer, and then I thought I needed something else.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .357 hunting stories

Post by Birdman »

You needed something else all right, a revolver to match it. I can't deer hunt with a 357 rifle in Illinois but I have killed deer with my 357 revolver. Great round!
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

My Marlin 1894 Carbine in 357 Mag was bought new by a cousin of mine. She used it for over 20 years deer hunting and averaged 2 or 3 deer a year with it before she sold it to me when she got into a money bind.

Now, my Navy Arms 1892 in 357 I special ordered from a friend with a FFL back in '99 and killed several deer and a few hogs with it before it went into semi-retirement.

357 rifles are like tater chips. You can't have just one.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

My gf had a 7-30 waters with bad head spacing as her first gun. Try as we might, it split case necks and threw bullets into 2' patterns at 100 yards. Frustrated before one of 86ers hog hunts we picked up a .357mag marlin 1894. Killed two hogs in two shots with that gun, 158grn fp/xtp at 1900fps. Still owns that gun and a .357mag 4" ruger gp100 to go with it. Love the round.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

When my oldest son was 4 ys old he could shoot open sights very well and we began to practice out to 100 yds with heavy 38 Spl loads. The rifle was a Puma with a shirt stock. Griff gave us the rifle to borrow and Steve Young gave us the stock. He shot his first big game animal with a rifle, a good sized hog with that rifle. The heavy 38 load broke its neck at about 30 yds. A few days later he used the same set-up and he got two hogs with one shot at about 20 yds. He shot a whole case of 500 rds of 38 during the year. When he was 5 ys old he began to shoot a 38 Spl and a 357 mag load intermixed at the target. He did not notice the change in recoil but I could easily tell the 357's on the 100 yd target because they were dead on and the 38's were low. When deer season started Ricky loaded some 158 gr Speer FP's @ 1700 fps. Accuracy for deer was good out to 75 yds with the 5 yr old behind the rifle. The day before he turned 6 yrs old a mature doe came out. By the time we were ready with the rifle and video camera the deer was 88 yds on the rangefinder. At first I said "too far". But he insisted"Dad, I got it". I gave the go ahead. A the shot the deer dropped, shot right through the center of the shoulder, pass through. It lifted its head upa few times so he shot again and hit it a little higher on the shoulder. He worked the rifle and shot again quick enough that I didnt even realize he was ready and gonna shoot again. Another pass through. He boys moved up a notch to the 360 DW in a W 94 rifle. Now they practice with 357 Mag and use 360's when hunting.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Many years ago my friend Bill wanted to deer hunt but I had already shot a few deer that year. In order to get me to go with him he told me we were bear hunting. I knew his trick but I knew he needed help deer hunting so I didn't say anything and I just brought my Ruger Security Six 357 Mag. I wasn't going to shoot a deer and there were no bears in this area. About two hours into our spot and stalk I see movement and tell Bill. Then I realize it's a Bear and Bill says "there's no bear here". The next thing I know I slip and I am sliding down the hill in the snow right towards the bear. When I come to a stop the Bear lopes my way. At the time Id swear it was charging but in retrospect it was just coming to see what the thing that slid down the hill was. I shot it between the neck and shoulder from about20 yards with the357. It turns and starts away whenBill shoots his rifle,but misses. However, his shot made the bear turn around and now it's coming my way again. I am scrambling up the hill and I look back at Bill. He is panicking. That's obvious because he puts a round in his rifle, works the action and the live round ejects. After four or five like that he is digging around in the snow for his cartridges. The bear is 20 yds from me again and I shoot two round double action. I see the bullets impact fur and the bear lets out a growl. I shoot two more as it is facing me coming up the hill with me. Now the bear is kind of belly crawling towards me and it is too steep and slippery for me to gain any ground. As the bears paw opens my boot laces I cock the hammer and put the last round in its head. The bear snaps back and rolls and slides down the hill. Bill extends his rifle barrel and pulls me up. We run all the way to the truck. After reloading Bills rifle (I didn't have any more ammo) and a colorful conversation about how we're "bear" hunting but there are no bears around here we head back. The poor bear is dead. We never weighed it but I'd say it was 200-250 pounds. Only the head shot with the 357 revolver was fatal, mostly due to shot placement. We dragged that bear forever to get it out. I had a full mount done and gave it to Bill with a sign that says "don't lie about bears to get a deer hunting partner, the bears might hear you".
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Is that how he got his nickname that he posts with here?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Different Bill.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

86er wrote:Many years ago my friend Bill wanted to deer hunt but I had already shot a few deer that year. In order to get me to go with him he told me we were bear hunting. I knew his trick but I knew he needed help deer hunting so I didn't say anything and I just brought my Ruger Security Six 357 Mag. I wasn't going to shoot a deer and there were no bears in this area. About two hours into our spot and stalk I see movement and tell Bill. Then I realize it's a Bear and Bill says "there's no bear here". The next thing I know I slip and I am sliding down the hill in the snow right towards the bear. When I come to a stop the Bear lopes my way. At the time Id swear it was charging but in retrospect it was just coming to see what the thing that slid down the hill was. I shot it between the neck and shoulder from about20 yards with the357. It turns and starts away whenBill shoots his rifle,but misses. However, his shot made the bear turn around and now it's coming my way again. I am scrambling up the hill and I look back at Bill. He is panicking. That's obvious because he puts a round in his rifle, works the action and the live round ejects. After four or five like that he is digging around in the snow for his cartridges. The bear is 20 yds from me again and I shoot two round double action. I see the bullets impact fur and the bear lets out a growl. I shoot two more as it is facing me coming up the hill with me. Now the bear is kind of belly crawling towards me and it is too steep and slippery for me to gain any ground. As the bears paw opens my boot laces I cock the hammer and put the last round in its head. The bear snaps back and rolls and slides down the hill. Bill extends his rifle barrel and pulls me up. We run all the way to the truck. After reloading Bills rifle (I didn't have any more ammo) and a colorful conversation about how we're "bear" hunting but there are no bears around here we head back. The poor bear is dead. We never weighed it but I'd say it was 200-250 pounds. Only the head shot with the 357 revolver was fatal, mostly due to shot placement. We dragged that bear forever to get it out. I had a full mount done and gave it to Bill with a sign that says "don't lie about bears to get a deer hunting partner, the bears might hear you".

:lol: :lol: Sorry Joe but that sounds funny, I am sure it was not at the time mind and I am glad you pulled it off.

What did you have it loaded with the SSix?
Would you say it was down to shot placement or too light a round?

Thanks Joe.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

It was loaded w 160 gr Super Vel HP
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Joe. Did form an opinion on the situation with regard to the Ruger and cal?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I was about 18 yrs old and didnt know much about terminal performance. I always thought the bullets didnt penetrate enough. The taxidermist found most of them.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I shot a Black Bear about the same size with my Marlin 1894C .357 several years back over in Arkansas.

We weren't hunting for him, but I did have a tag. We were actually just hiking around looking for feral critters near the river and this guy just walked out of the bushes.

We looked at each other for a second or two and I was just gonna stand there and wait for the bear to leave but he decided to join us in camp, so I shot him behind his right ear from about 25 yards. He dropped right there.

I'm not much on trophies but my buddy said he was gonna make a rug. Dang thing was heavy.

Only bear I've ever shot. It was kinda exciting.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Back when I started deer hunting, could only get a permit every other year, Dad and I had permits same years, so I could not use his 30/30 (he used it) I worked up enough money and bought a Marlin in 357. When I was 14, I weighed about 80lbs so the 357 seemed powerful enough, yet little recoil, and of course needed to be a lever action.

I used Federal 180gr Hollow points, and out of my deer stand, hard to see deer that are more than 40yds off and many shots much closer and the action was fast. Perfect for that carbine. I killed quite a few deer with that rifle, bullet performance under the above conditions (short range, 18" barrel velocities) were tremendous. Bullet mushrooms greatly and often found on the hide on opposite side. Some exits. The damage was incredible.

IF hunting in close in the woods, I won't hesitate to use it.

It has killed a few coyotes as well. A shoulder shot with that 180gr bullet was a lethal on the spot.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

86er wrote:I was about 18 yrs old and didnt know much about terminal performance. I always thought the bullets didnt penetrate enough. The taxidermist found most of them.
Thanks Joe, not to long ago then :wink:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Nothing exciting to tell, just that my lightweight little Rossi R357S single shot was my favorite rifle when I lived on Maui, always in my truck and dropped few wild goats with it. Also took it to Texas with me and dropped a Blackbuck doe. I love my little 94AE trapper 357 too but never got a chance to hunt with it.

ImageImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ji,
How come you have real shoes on?
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Here is one of my .357 mag stories.

One morning I was waiting for the post office to open and I had about a hour, so decided to do a little varmint calling, I grabbed a couple rifles and putted out on the old bombing range in my old bug to a big thicket where I had called coyotes, bobcats and grey fox, Javelina and deer many times over the years.

I had took notice of the wind before I left the house so I knew which way to approach the thicket and I parked about a half mile back from the thicket and hiked on in. I knelt down and blew my call real soft for about 3 seconds and then just listened for a few seconds and I heard some feet headed my way straight in my front so I eased the hammer back and waited for movement in the brush directly I caught some flashes of brown moving from right to left and figured I had a coyote interested so I blew my call again real real soft and I heard it start moving more in my direction, about that time I started picking up more movement thru the brush, it acted like it was searching for the sound so I gave it another clue a little louder this time and I heard it break into a run headed right towards me I still could not make out what it was and then as I followed the sound it turned into a little ally way and then I seen it was a lion, it was coming fast so I stood up thinking it would flair off as I had have them do in the past but the only reaction to me was a flattening of the ears so I raised the rifle as it was about 40 yrds and coming I held on the head and right as I was getting ready to shoot I thought I might want the skull so I pulled down and fired, at the shot its front end collapsed and rear kept on coming so when the dust settled the cats rear end was facing me and it was still, no movement so I bent down and picked up my empty and circled around to approach from the front, stuck the end of my barrel on its eye and was satisfied it was dead so i rolled it over looking for a exit wound hoping there would not be one but the bullet came out the left hip.

I dug in my day pack and found my old camera with one picture left and that is one you see. I called my buddy and told him what I had just done, he didn't believe me so i told him to bring his camera and come on out and I got few more pictures and my buddy had a great big smile, I gave him the lion and he had a nice rug made out of it.

The rifle I left in the bug was a 22 Hornet, I remember going eeny miny mo when I was deciding which rifle to take.

---J
Last edited by J35 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

J35nut wrote:Here is one of my .357 mag stories.

One morning I was waiting for the post office to open and I had about a hour, so decided to do a little varmint calling, I grabbed a couple rifles and putted out on the old bombing range in my old bug to a big thicket where I had called coyotes, bobcats and grey fox, Javelina and deer many times over the years.

I had took notice of the wind before I left the house so I knew which way to approach the thicket and I parked about a half mile back from the thicket and hiked on in. I knelt down and blew my call real soft for about 3 seconds and then just listened for a few seconds and I heard some feet headed my way straight in my front so I eased the hammer back and waited for movement in the brush directly I caught some flashes of brown moving from right to left and figured I had a coyote interested so I blew my call again real real soft and I heard it start moving more in my direction, about that time I started picking up more movement thru the brush, it acted like it was searching for the sound so I gave it another clue a little louder this time and I heard it break into a run headed right towards me I still could not make out what it was and then as I followed the sound it turned into a little ally way and then I seen it was a lion, it was coming fast so I stood up thinking it would flair off as I had have them do in the past but the only reaction to me was a flattening of the ears so I raised the rifle as it was about 40 yrds and coming I held on the head and right as I was getting ready to shoot I thought I might want the skull so I pulled down and fired, at the shot its front end collapsed and rear kept on coming so when the dust settled the cats rear end was facing me and it was still, no movement so I bent down and picked up my empty and circled around to approach from the front, stuck the end of my barrel on its eye and was satisfied it was dead so i rolled it over looking for a exit wound hoping there would not be one but the bullet came out the left hip.

I dug in my day pack and found my old camera with one picture left and that is one you see. I called my buddy and told him what I had just done, he didn't believe me so i told him to bring his camera and come on out and I got few more pictures and my buddy had a great big smile, I gave him the lion and he had a nice rug made out of it.

The rifle I left in the bug was a 22 Hornet, I remember going eeny miny mo when I was deciding which rifle to take.

---J
Ultra cool 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Thanks guys, the itch is getting worse. I talked with a dealer over in South Dakota about a 1894C, he said he wants one for himself but, isn't having any luck from his distributors.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Another 357mag story but a revolver this time

This was the first time I had used a call to help harvest a Javelina.

I was fortunate that by circumstance I met John Lilly in my work

His Uncle was Ben Lilly, and John had done his best to be like him.

Anyways to cut to the chase John had showed me how a call could be used on Javelina

not so much to bring them but mainly to stall them out and stand for the shot.

After a long day at work on the way home I took the back roads that would take me by

some big Mesquite thickets, i found some track's that looked fresh going in so decided to follow them

it was nasty hands and knee's type stuff until I got to about the middle and then it opened up pretty good

only now it was waist high dead grass and as I was tracking them I bumped right into them bedded down

and they jumped up huffing and puffing and scattered in ten different directions I blew into my call pretty hard

and they all froze giving me time to look them over and make the shot, uneventful , just a nasty drag back to the truck.

The revolver was a Mod 27 and I had not caught the casting bug yet so had hand loaded Win. 158 HP for ammo.

Have fun --J
Last edited by J35 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

my 357s have been hunt many times....
but it is more accurately described as..... "hiking with weapons"

all my hunting luck has been with my muzzleloader, 30-06, 30-30, 22s and 12ga
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS