Boolit Loob Suggestions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kingemandigger
Levergunner

Boolit Loob Suggestions

Post by kingemandigger »

Hey guys, i'm getting into reloading 45 colt and was wondering what loob should be used with some of the hotter loads using cast boolits. I will be using cast 300 grain LFN with gas checks over 16-19 grains of 2400 or 22-23 grains of H110 (will depend on finding the sweet spot for each powder) and will probably reach anywhere from 1000-1400 fps. PS Using Cimarron 1892 action with 24in barrel. Will try the general loob recipe ( 1lb of vaseline and parafin wax, two tbsp. STP oil treatment). Other suggestions would be appreciated. I am trying to aviod buying it online --- $22 vs. $10;)
Don McDowell

Re: Boolit Loob Suggestions

Post by Don McDowell »

Ya know a fella can screw around spending alot of time coming up with a "lube" that's really not worth the time and trouble. Most bullets, even the big boys won't carry more than 3 grs of lube, that makes for a bit over 2000 rounds per pound of lube...
Google up Bullshop and get some good lube, life will be simpler.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Contact Veral Smith at LBT bullets.

http://lbtmoulds.com/
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

For smokeless powder and cast lead bullets, I buy White Label. They have an assortment of lubes, and at $1.65 a stick it's not worth the trouble to try and make my own. I load mainly for my lever action rifles shooting cast lead at 1,400-1,600 FPS velocities. I really like their BAC, which is made of beeswax, alox, and carnuba. Their website is:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lsstuff-stuff

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Second the BAC. I use it, but add 1 stick or Caranuba Red to 4 sticks of BAC to stiffen it up just a bit. You can hardly afford to make it with what White Label charges
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Shasta wrote:For smokeless powder and cast lead bullets, I buy White Label. They have an assortment of lubes, and at $1.65 a stick it's not worth the trouble to try and make my own. I load mainly for my lever action rifles shooting cast lead at 1,400-1,600 FPS velocities. I really like their BAC, which is made of beeswax, alox, and carnuba. Their website is:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lsstuff-stuff

SHASTA
+1

It works for most everything from 45 acp to 356 Win. for me. It's very good lube and too cheap to justify trying to come up with my own.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1 for Veral's LBT Blue. I use the soft because I have a Lyman Lubrisizer with no heater.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used SPG lube for several years with very good results in the stuff you want it for .

Later when I went faster and got a heated lubrisizer I went with Thompson's Blue Angel . I see no reason for anything other then these two for my needs !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm in the process of working up loads for the same bullet you are in my 20" bbl Rossi. Sounds like you got plenty of good lube advice, but I'll just mention that you are going to be getting a couple hundred more fps. out of those loads than you seem to be expecting from your post. Which should not be any problem: those are not super hot loads for a m92-style action and 1600 to 1700 fps should not stress the bullet or a good lube. And should be a real thumper: I know my shoulder can tell something happened when I touch one off.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For most of my smokeless powder loads, including gas-checked .30-30s up to 2200fps I just use Lyman's Ideal Bullet Lube, $4.99 @ Midway.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Oh, I noticed your spell checker is not working. I believe it's spelled bullet lube. :wink: This place aint LeevurGunz.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kingemandigger,

From my 30+ years as a cast bullet caster and shooter I've found that for "most" smokeless loads in the .45 Colt the lube isn't as critical as people think .... as long as you use bullet lube, not the hard crayon type waxy stuff.

I've used RCBS Rifle Lube, it worked. I've used RCBS regular lube, it worked. I've used SPG, it worked. I've used various makers versions of the NRA lube formula and that works. And I've used Lee Liquid Alox Lube and that works. Basically I'm lazy and will buy what's handy as long as it doesn't take a heater to get it into the bullet grease groove.

However I do agree with Don when he says to buy the good stuff. And will be buying it the next time I buy some.

Tycer wrote:Oh, I noticed your spell checker is not working. I believe it's spelled bullet lube. :wink: This place aint LeevurGunz.
:lol: :lol: Tycer, I was waiting for someone to say something. Not me though. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

geez.. thank you i though i was the only one... :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, a major part of the fun/satisfaction of casting/shooting lead bullets is making your own loob ( :roll: ). Just like casting, it's more fun if you do it yourself. I have my favorites that work quite well (besides the lubes I buy frorm White Label) and I like easy, 2 or 3 component recipes; Beeswax softened with ATF, Beeswax softened with Marvel's Mystery Oil, Beeswax with Bullplate (or 2 cycle motor oil) aka Speed Green, 45-45-10 (see below link). I tried the Vaseline/paraffin/STP loob several years ago for my 250 gr SWC .44 Magnum bullets and wasn't satisfied with the preformance...

Castboolits.com has a whole section on just lubes. Check out the stickies here for a slew of recipes and methods
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... olit-Lube-!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I use SPG for everything, including my 30-30 bullets which leave the barrel at 2,200 fps, right down to my 45 Schofield bullets which leave the barrel at 850 fps.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
kingemandigger
Levergunner

Post by kingemandigger »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check out the sites y'all linked. Sounds like pretty much any commercial lube will be fine and the homemade beeswax lubes are better than the one I want to make. Honestly I'm not sure if it really matters but ill try a few and hopefully post results. Still lik the idea of the homemade recipes out there. Like anything it is more fun when you do it. I will Venusian gas checks so as long as the loob allows the boolit to slide down the barrel easily I should be ok. Thanks
kingemandigger
Levergunner

Post by kingemandigger »

Sorry. Be using gas checks
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you're absolutely dead set on making your own lube, keep it simple. Beeswax and vaselin 50-50. Little more on the wax side if it needs to be a bit harder, and viceaversa.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

RCBS Rifle lube (50/50 NRA formula) for almost all, BUT!

I use SPG when I pan lube any like in my .38-55 and .50-95.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

What's wrong with LOOB? I see alot of reference to "shotties" what are they,shotglasses?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kingemandigger
Levergunner

Post by kingemandigger »

tru dat. u got dat loob wit dos boolits n dat gun. Seriously, loob, at least in my book, is proper slang and is spelled correctly...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

50/50 ATF/Beeswax :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kingemandigger,

Ifn U wanna make some smoke and not use the charcoal stuff, fill your loob gruves with RCBS rifle loob and send the booooolit outa da barrel with UNIQUE.

That is a seriously smoky and stinky, and gummy combination. :P GARONTEED to turn your hands black.

:lol: I think my spell checker just had a stroke ... :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
I am right fond of 45% olive oil and 55% beeswax. Winter I go to 50-50%.
Only lube I can make in the kitchen.
Works well with every "boolit" (home cast items) I push to around 2000. With a gas check it will do better. Nice thing is I can use it for any powder.
Plus you can spread it on bread or crackers ! Try that with any of those other mixes. Works great on dry leather, skin and cracking lips. Did I mention it tastes good and is healthy for consumption. Shoot a critter with it and you do not have to worry about meat contamination.... and on I could go. 100% natural and finger licking good.
Mike in ILL
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Tycer wrote:Oh, I noticed your spell checker is not working. I believe it's spelled bullet lube. :wink: This place aint LeevurGunz.
Don't visit here much anymore and just dropped in.
thx for reminding me.
kingemandigger
Levergunner

Post by kingemandigger »

thanks for all the suggestions, if I run across some beezwax (don't know where) ill deffinitely get some. And yes, this place is for Levrgunz