Guns that mean the most to you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Guns that mean the most to you?

Post by willygene »

Elker wrote:The guns that mean the most to me is my entire collection of
Winchesters....73s, 86, 90s, 92s, 06s, 61s and 63s.
I would have a terrible time parting with any of them and my kids will love me when I die cause they will inherit the whole thing.
Pics of the collection:
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG

Now that's just plain ol showing off love it.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It's full of stars..............
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Imagel
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hey Elker
Will you adopt me? :lol: :lol:
very nice collection...nice display millwork too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

Rihmfire,
With all the guys wanting to be adopted over the years I feel like I need a spreadsheet to keep up with all of them..... :D
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :mrgreen: I designed the displays and cabinets after the system developed by Cabelas (why throw away success!).
My cabinets and displays are a narrower version of Cabelas yet I am able to display the same amount (15 long rifles per cabinet). There was a guy that I used to build my wifes kitchen cabinets, etc. so I had him build it all to my design and a great job he did. I also made it so that the insides are easy to disassemble leaving open cabinets. This way if we ever sell, the new owners (who may not have guns) can use it for their own purposes. Just thinking ahead.
Elker
Last edited by Elker on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I own a complete millwork shop, and that is some nice work.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

When a question like this comes up I usually pause and wonder if I have "any" guns that mean a great deal. My answer is usually the guns that I have been given by someone else rather than those I have accumulated on my own. Several years ago my dear wife gave me a Mdl. 94 30wcf that dates from 1904. My Father gave me my first gun, a Mossberg .22(1949?) when I was 13 and a Colt Frontier .22 several years later. My uncle gave me a S&W Mdl. 18(.22)(1967) on my 21st birthday nearly 50 years ago, and my Father-in-law passed down a Mdl. 1897 12ga.(circa. 1901). I suppose these have the most meaning to me.

Over the years I have bought or traded for many more guns than I need, and I really like most of them, but few hold real meaning. Many were acquired when I was working with the Sheriff's Dept just because I thought I needed the newest and greatest they were using. Others because I thought I needed something new for hunting or target shooting, or because they were cool or because they might become scarce or hard to find. I've never been a panic buyer like we see many doing today, but I have bought a few because some politician said I should not or could not have one or another. As a kid growing up in the Rockies I suppose a SA revolver and a lever gun were my favorites, and that is still true today. The difference is, now I have to have this combination in several calibers to make me happy. When I was younger a .22 could do anything. Perhaps I was smarter when I was a kid. I think a good .22 will always mean the most to me.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

My restored 1878 Borchardt Sporting Rifle.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ole pizen slinger wrote:My restored 1878 Borchardt Sporting Rifle.
Oh Gosh! I can see why!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

ole pizen slinger ,
What a nice piece! What is the caliber?
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

I restored it to the original caliber it lettered to--40-70 SS
OPS
Last edited by ole pizen slinger on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

A close-up of the action.

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. Can you shoot the gun and have you shot it since the restoration. I know nothing of this gun, so perhaps it is too valuable or rare to shoot, but I would still like to.

ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Yes, I shoot it. I do not care to own a gun that I cannot shoot. I regularly shoot it in mid-range matches for BPCR. The rifle will hold a 12 inch group at 600 yards. I would like to be able to reduce group size to 9 inches at 600 yards but so far have not accomplished this. If you are ever in the western North Carolina area, I'd be happy for you to shoot it.
OPS
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

ole pizen slinger wrote:Yes, I shoot it. I do not care to own a gun that I cannot shoot. I regularly shoot it in mid-range matches for BPCR. The rifle will hold a 12 inch group at 600 yards. I would like to be able to reduce group size to 9 inches at 600 yards but so far have not accomplished this. If you are ever in the western North Carolina area, I'd be happy for you to shoot it.
OPS
Glad to hear you feel the same as I do about good guns, they should be shot. Thanks for the invitation. If I ever get to your part of the country I would love to shoulder that beauty.

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My 1939 Winchester model 64 in 25-35 that was my first gun and given to me on my 14th birthday. Others I have mean a lot, none more than this one.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be a great one! Pics?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mesc, I am on it as we speak - :)

Elker - WOW!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

- Win 69A chrome bolt - my first from the late 50's.
- Inland M1 Carbine my dad brought back from Guam in his B-29 in '45 NIB (then)
- Ruger Single Six .32 ca 1984, 5.5" - one of first out of chute, my first Ruger and handgun "on my own." No longer have :( but a trio of .32 Vaqueritos are equally special.
- Twins - .357 Montado and .44 Sp Sheriff.
- Win 1894 SRC .30WCF ca 1917 found in Montrose CO pawnshop on a cold Western Slope January day like the ones we're having here in Az! Gen-u-wine old ranch gun complete and in fine shape. Just like the way I stumbled into it coming home from a ski trip fifteen years ago (always check these rural gems out!) Would love to hear this SRC's stories!
How could I forget -
- Colt SAA "4th" (late 3rd ca 2008) .44 Sp (rare discreet chambering, not dual cyl .44-40 convertible). Stellar piece. My "at least this one time" gun.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

not a levergun, but an Imperial single-shot bolt-action .22 ..... my dad got it around 1929 to shoot rabbits on the farm.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. Mescalero, you are welcome to take those guns on over and "store" 'em at my sister's house in Tucson, they'll be plenty safe, and properly appreciated & cared for. And I'll promise they will get proper vacation time here in the flatlands of SoCal ..... and Old Savage and others will be able to visit 'em too.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

And I will get to see pictures of my guns in the next OS bash. :lol:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Mescarlo, if you have no one to leave them to, I'd say sell them and donate the funds to a gun rights orginization of your choice.

I have one for sure and for certain keeper and that's my Marlin 1894CSS. I asked my son a few months back what are some of my guns that he would really like to have after I go to the here after. I'm not a big black rifle kinda guy but I do have a few and I figured that would be a first choice, or I have a custom built Gary Reeder 44 mag. But Garrett see's what I shoot the most and I think he has been watching me out of the corner of his eye when I handle that Marlin. He know's it's very special to me and that's why he put that at the top of his list. He'll be able to say that was Dad's favorite rifle. He'll also get a few more but some come and go. That one will stay and so will that 44. Now for me and maybe a sentimental choice, my Remington Nylon 66. It was the first gun I bought bran spanking new and I have run a bunch of rounds through it and walked a lot of miles along the tracks. Still have the box and all the paperwork too. A guy can do a lot with a 22 and do it pretty cheap.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Birdman,
I have been talking about this for some time and that is the BEST idea I have heard.
Thank you!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have no firearms passed down to me as my dad didn't have any. My grandfather gave me a wall hanger SxS that I tried to restore. After sinking a fortune into it, it wound up not being much of what he gave me. So many parts replaced and such. I sold it off Of my current firearms, I have three I will keep for as long as I am around I think. First is a custom .54 Flintlock, the firearm I have kept longer than any other I have ever owned. The next is my nighthawk 1911 GRP in 45acp. The last is my newest. A winchester from the late 20s, a 94 in 32 special with lots of special features including 2/3 mag, shotgun butt stock and plate, ladder rear sight, fluted comb minty condition
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now that is boiling it down - you were the solution to 4 I let go and shouldn't have.

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

This will be a strange answer but what do you expect from me.I have all of Dad's firearms except one a bolt action .22 that was stolen when the LGS sent it to LA to be re-blued.I cannot be sure of the maker but think it was a Stevens or Springfield.Dad made remarkable shots with that old rifle bent front sight and all.I let a 1873 slip from my hands from the wife's side of the family but that doesn't bug me as much as the little 1892 he had.I have a picture of him and his dog with a buck he had shot with that rifle a 25-20 re-bored to 32-20.That rifle had no metal finish to speak of,may have been removed when it's stock was redone in a cherry wood color with home done checking to use the term loosely.At the time these wouldn't have given anyone pause but some where out there are family treasures that I'd really love to see again.Before Dad passed I ran into a Remington 341 so it followed me home because it kind of reminded me of his rifle and I knew he would be gone soon,it will be mine till I'm gone too.