Download and print a 30 round mag?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Download and print a 30 round mag?

Post by olyinaz »

Remember when I said that soon we will be able to simply scan, modify, and "print" out parts for our lever guns? I wasn't kidding guys. The mag in this AR was downloaded and printed on a 3D printer that is commercially available today:

http://defcad.org/ar-15-magazine-30-round-mag/

Makes a pretty compelling case for the argument that if you make certain kinds of guns and magazines illegal, you will NOT "control" their availability, you'll just make sure that only criminals have them.

The elected morons:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futur ... -1B8035746

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Download and print a 30 round mag?

Post by J Miller »

My computer is goofy. I opened the Ruger site to use their contact system and then came here and tried to open the article about the 30 round magazines. The Ruger site worked great, and the magazine article site still has not even opened.

Must be a lot of folks interested.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wow.
:o
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And (right now) unlike 3d printing lowers, a 3d printed magazine shell might actually hold up... for one loading anyway. (Long term feed lip viability is questionable).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I heard about this, and if CNC's become fairly cheap like printers, entire guns could be made out of data available online. Also non-metal guns could be made, like the one in "In the Line of Fire". Of course you don't need CNC to make guns, but to have plans and CNC printing available would make it easier and faster.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Thank the Lord for sending us Star Trek.

As the (replicator) technology advances, just think how convenient it will be to simply print up loaded magazines with just press of a key on your smart-phone (communicator).

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

FWiedner wrote:Thank the Lord for sending us Star Trek.

As the (replicator) technology advances, just think how convenient it will be to simply print up loaded magazines with just press of a key on your smart-phone (communicator).

:lol:
it's the update on the Indian with the tomahawk racing downhill toward the trapper reloading his front-stuffer....

who's "smart-phone-printer" can finish printing out the loaded mag first? talk about "just in time" manufacturing...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:And (right now) unlike 3d printing lowers, a 3d printed magazine shell might actually hold up... for one loading anyway. (Long term feed lip viability is questionable).
I've been assured by my friend who sells and services 3D printers that they can print a very serviceable lower. There is no stress placed on the lower by firing, as demonstrated by those being used with .50BMG uppers. What information do you have on the 3D printed lowers?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Something to remember also guys, is that they're not just working on this printed plastic (which is not just for objects that you would use, but also for molds/casting and prototyping), but they're also working on printing with metal powder as the "ink". You would print the object, fire it in a furnace to specifications, and voila - a robust object that's ready for years of service.

The stocks in this sector sure are on fire:

http://investing.money.msn.com/investme ... bol=US:DDD

Which always makes me wonder, is the stock doing well because the company is on the forefront of a wave, or is it doing well because the brokers are all hawking it? :? Heck if I know...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:And (right now) unlike 3d printing lowers, a 3d printed magazine shell might actually hold up... for one loading anyway. (Long term feed lip viability is questionable).
I've been assured by my friend who sells and services 3D printers that they can print a very serviceable lower. There is no stress placed on the lower by firing, as demonstrated by those being used with .50BMG uppers. What information do you have on the 3D printed lowers?
Only that the polymer currently being used won't hold up to rigorous handling (i.e how combat guns are handled). The firing might not tear it apart, but slamming magazines in & general handling will cause stress cracks ( ultimately failures.

Maybe they have different polymers now, but long-term reliability is still in question IMO...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:Something to remember also guys, is that they're not just working on this printed plastic (which is not just for objects that you would use, but also for molds/casting and prototyping), but they're also working on printing with metal powder as the "ink". You would print the object, fire it in a furnace to specifications, and voila - a robust object that's ready for years of service.
Oly
Now THAT's interesting... intriguing... aw heck, I WANT ONE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Old Ironsights wrote:... long-term reliability is still in question IMO...

As long as it works the one time you really need it.

If it doesn't work... well... :(

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

The technology has been around for some time, when I went down to General Dynamics Defense about 10 years ago, they had one, they used it for prototype work; make the parts in plastic and see how they fit /worked together. The technology has just gotten cheaper.

Yes you can make a firearm with one, but you can also make a firearm with a hacksaw and files.