Octagon vs Round

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LGW
Levergunner

Octagon vs Round

Post by LGW »

Is there any real advantage? Accuracy?
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Octagon vs Round

Post by Dewight »

No.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

100 years ago, octagonal barrels were easier (simpler) to make, since most itinerate gunmakers lacked a lathe for turning a round barrel (which is usually lighter in sporting contour, lengths being equal ).

Tapered octagonal barrels are the more attractive, IMHO - YMMV.

All thing being equal, the octagonal barreled rifle "might" exhibit better accuracy, due to it's extra weight dampening natural tremors.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yes. An octagon is usually heavier than a round barrel, and that usually means it heats up slower. That extra metal makes it stiffer, less prone to harmonics distortion. Especially where there are parts in contact with it. This has been demonstrated time and again with the Winchester octagon barrelled Commemoratives. It's biggest boon is simply that extra weight allows it to "hang" better as Pete sez.

That's not to say a round barrel can't be just as accurate.

But, there are those that disagree.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

always wondered about the "Octagon vs Round" barrel thing myself...thank you for the info... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In my 40 years of playing with both types, (mostly originals) that condition for condition, I would bet the farm that octagons have a fairly decent advantage over the round jobs in accuracy.

When I say "condition for condition", I'm refering to the condition of the bore as junk bores are junk bores and always will be junk.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Sixgun wrote:In my 40 years of playing with both types, (mostly originals) that condition for condition, I would bet the farm that octagons have a fairly decent advantage over the round jobs in accuracy.

When I say "condition for condition", I'm refering to the condition of the bore as junk bores are junk bores and always will be junk.------------Sixgun

If that were true why aren't the benchresters and other target shooters using them?

One advantage of octagons is that the blueing wears off the corners faster keeping the gunsmiths in work.

Personally I have as much interest in octagonal barrels as I do in octagonal wheels.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you take two barrels that weigh the same, one octagon and one round, with the same bores in them, the octagon is stiffer. Why? Because some of the steel is farther from the centerline thus giving it greater resistance to stretching or compression due to the longer moment. Same is true for a fluted barrel only more so. Of course this may have no effect on accuracy but in general the stiffer barrel will not "whip" or vibrate as much.

Besides, a properly tapered octagon is just a lot prettier than any plain old round barrel. Even ugly bolt guns look better with octagon barrels.

Had a sergeant once who said that no one should have to hunt with an ugly rifle which was why he used a lever action. But it was a model 88.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BAGTIC wrote: If that were true why aren't the benchresters and other target shooters using them?
'Ya know, I don't know. :D I think M.M.Wright may have the answer as it sure makes sense. I have, and have had probably a couple of hundred original leverguns pushing out lead and like Elmer Keith used to say, "long range is the true test of accuracy". I have shot these guns on paper out to 500 meters and the #1 gun that always "seems" to be the most accurate are the heavy octagon barrels that are on 1886 Win. and 1881 Marlins.

And they stay accurate, shot after shot, even when hot. I've shots lots of 1894's and 1895's with round barrels that are just as accurate, but they don't stay accurate when they get hot and their point of aim changes, where oct 1894's (again) "seem" to hold their accuracy. Then, on the other hand I have this one 1886 in 40-65 with a heavy round barrel that will keep up with a scoped boltgun.

I see the benchrest guys all the time at the club and their guns have round barrels that are very heavy. Maybe its the weight or maybe its in my head that oct. barrels are more accurate.

Maybe I should stay to shooting the old guns and let the scientists figure it all out. :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Who's kidding who? Octagon simply looks cool. I've got some of each and don't think any one is better than the other. Some guns just "need" an octagon barrel. I had a very, very nice 1874 Sharps that shot really well. I just never learned to like the round barrel on it and sold it. It just didn't look right on that gun. Got an octagon barreled one and it shot just as good but not any better, but boy did it ever look a lot better!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Another aspect is Black Powder itself. It will heat a barrel faster than smokeless. Simple experiment you can do to verify that fact. Just shoot 10 rounds of BP with the same bullet as you use in you smoke less load at about the same velocity. BP is not real pressure efficient but is very efficient to produce heat.
So as you shoot BP the barrel gets hot and will expand and accuracy will fall off. Run a damp patch (not soaking) every 5 shots to keep fowling in check. The hotter that barrels gets the worse it will shoot.
I have a 1873 2nd model 44-40 with a special order Heavy barrel. The 24" barreled rifle weighs in at 10 pounds unloaded. It takes at least 4x as many rounds of 2F or 3F loads to get too hot to hold as compared to my 1892 44-40 carbine round barrel. Granted the 92 is not a 73 but the round barrels are near the same.
But once you get a Octagon barrel hot it takes that much longer to air cool also. A wet rag and wet patches help alot with that.
Mike in ILL till 28 Jan
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

I have loaded for in excess of 70 antique Winchester lever guns. In my experience, I have found no real difference between round or octagon barrels. In the older rifles, bore condition, correct bullet sizing and load development are by far much bigger factors effecting accuracy.

Also in my experience, takedowns will shoot right with solid frames as long as the takedown mechanism is tight.

A Winchester Collector
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I have only 7 LA´s, so I hardly dare to speak here.

IMHO the round ones are definitely LIGHTER!

;-)

:P

As I more carry them, with an occasional shot, in the woods, than shoot them hot on a range, I prefer round.

Hermann

( who want´s a ´73 replica short rifle .44-40 next ;-))
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Griff wrote:Yes. An octagon is usually heavier than a round barrel, and that usually means it heats up slower. That extra metal makes it stiffer, less prone to harmonics distortion. Especially where there are parts in contact with it. This has been demonstrated time and again with the Winchester octagon barrelled Commemoratives. It's biggest boon is simply that extra weight allows it to "hang" better as Pete sez.
That about sums it up. I think bench shooters use very thick barrels, which gives the same effect.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/