Marlin 1894CL or Browning 53

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AlanF
Levergunner

Marlin 1894CL or Browning 53

Post by AlanF »

Newbie here I am looking to purchase my first lever-action rifle and I'm looking at either a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 or a Browning Model 53. The Browning would run me about $250 more than the Marlin.

It would be great to hear from those who own these rifles.

Can tang sights be had for both and if not is there another type of peep or aperture sight available?

Is there any particular issue with either of these rifles?

I'll assume both can be made to shoot accurately with cast bullets???

I've been reloading since the mid-80's so I'm not likely to use factory loaded rounds.

Thank you.
Hobie

Re: Marlin 1894CL or Browning 53

Post by Hobie »

My 1894CL didn't require D&T for a receiver sight but the 53 will and both require it for a tang peep. That said the Marbles or the Lyman are made for these rifles. I used a Williams FP on my 1894CL. Love it. Great rifle. The 53 is a great rifle. I generally don't shoot factory unless I come into some cheap.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The 1894CL can be found for a whole lot less than the 53.

I have no problems with my CL. :wink: I did find that it shot a whole lot more accurate, with the Sierra 90gr JHP than the 115 LFP

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I also have a Marlin CL with a Williams FP on it - I replaced the screw-slot elevation knob with a 'target' one (Williams sells them for just a few bucks and they are easy to swap out), so I could do longer-range shooting and compensate for range/drop quickly. Didn't do it for the windage as I don't adjust it that often. One of the most FUN guns I have - goes from 'quiet and mild' with old-power-level cast loads, to 'loud and wild' with modern-level jacketed ones.

Never owned a Browning, but hear they're great.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I had a Marlin 1894 (.44) and still own a Browning 53 in 32-20. I believe the 53 is easily worth the difference in price. The workmanship on the 53 is unbelievable. Mine is also extremely accurate.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have owned both. They are each nice rifles. The B-53 is in a different class. 1886.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Get the Marlin - you will use it more.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Marlin for Me. Mine is a real shooter. the 32-20 is one of the best kept secrets out there. :) .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sold a few of the Browning 53's and the Marlin 1894CL's when they originally hit the market .

I've also owned several of the Marlin's in the three calibers in which they were chambered .

My vote as usual goes to the Marlin .

But then I'm not a big fan of the Jap made Browning's .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well seeings as this is Your first post I think maybe a ""Welcome"" is in order. Welcome, enjoy the Fire. There is lots of info to be had here. Caint answer Ur question as I have neither Gun.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Gallo Pazzesco
Levergunner

Post by Gallo Pazzesco »

I'm a big Marlin fan and I have quite a few, a lot actually, along with a couple of Winchesters, a couple of Rossies a BLR and a Henry.

I've never owned a B-53 but I do own a CB LTD which is close to the CL ... yet I have handled a B-53 on several occasions.

You're not really comparing apples to apples between those to leverguns imho.
What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
2/325 PIR, 1/509 ABCTImage4/325 ABCT, Master Parachutist
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

As much as I love the Marlins, I would spend the extra money and buy the 53. Wood will most likely be better and you will not have to buy a safety delete kit to return the gun to the way it should be sold! No lawyer safety!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

buckeyeshooter wrote:As much as I love the Marlins, I would spend the extra money and buy the 53. Wood will most likely be better and you will not have to buy a safety delete kit to return the gun to the way it should be sold! No lawyer safety!

I personally would prefer a leveraction that was made in this country rather then a copy that was made in Japan , Brazil or where ever !

So replacing the CBS is a small matter .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I only have a Winchester 92 in 32-20 which I like very much. Barrel has been relined so it is very accurate with cast bullets.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I bought a Browning 53 when they first came out. It is extremely well made, and I really like the checkered pistol grip stock. I did drill and tap the tang for a Marble's tang sight, as well as lightening the trigger. It is a great little rifle for silhouette shooting. I have a Marlin Cowboy in .44 Magnum, and while it is a very nice gun, it lacks the quality so apparent in the Browning 53.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta