Whats it worth ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Whats it worth ?

Post by pwl44m »

I mentioned this Gun in My Gun Show report. It is a Ruger Bisley wth 7 1/2 in barrel in 45 Colt. It has a non fluted cylinder with engraving. The Guy that had it at the show had it priced at $900. It looks new but don't know anything further than that. Mfg in 97 according to My Brother. I can work out a trade and it will cost me an early 90s vintage Taurus 9mm satin nickel finish and a 10oz silver bar. I would have far less than 900 in it but My question is it worth 900 ? I can gleen more info if needed and possibly a pic or 2.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Whats it worth ?

Post by oregon73 »

Just my opinion but if we're talking about a Ruger single action, it would have to be pretty darn special to be worth 900. I don't believe a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 is a 900 dollar gun. Just my opinion.

Rob
NRA
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It is indeed a single action.
Perry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm thinking more like 4-500 in real, non-crazy dollars....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

pwl44m wrote:It is indeed a single action.
Perry
Yeah. I'm not really into Bisleys but I just can't see one being worth 900.

Rob
NRA
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

BlaineG wrote:I'm thinking more like 4-500 in real, non-crazy dollars....
I concur. Which makes a trade for a pistol and a bar of silver.... Maybe not that great of a trade. I dunno.

Rob
NRA
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

It would have to have a pretty slick action job by a competent gun smith, and probably a few more upgrades for me to even entertain $900. I have a Bisley in .45 Colt that has an action job, free spin pawl, oversize base pin, was Taylor throated, and bead blasted stainless finish all done by David Clements that cost $680 new for the gun and work. This was done 10 or so years ago, and I did not buy the gun (I acquired it from my cousin after my uncle passed), and it seems that the price of the base guns have gone up since, but $900 still seems awfully steep to me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Unless it's something special or you want it more than anything else at this point. It's way over priced.

Byron

Granted If you don't plan on getting rid of it and it's what you've always wanted, more power too you. I've paid more for something I've really wanted more than what it's worth too, but?
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

You said non fluted, pretty sure this isn't it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =327167477

Byron
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

oregon73 wrote:
pwl44m wrote:It is indeed a single action.
Perry
Yeah. I'm not really into Bisleys but I just can't see one being worth 900.

Rob
I'm not particularly fond of Bisleys either. I will have to get some more info to see just why this Guy thinks it is worth that kind of Money. Same Guy had a 3rd gen colt in 45 for $1500. Top dollar in My books.
Thx all for input
Perry
Saw another post--- It's a Gun, whats not to want :lol: Oh it's not something I "really" want thats why I'm here. From the consensus it aint wort it unless I'm lacking some pertinent information.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

arjunky wrote:You said non fluted, pretty sure this isn't it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =327167477

Byron
Nope, that aint it. :lol: this ones Blue
Perry
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

This one that Jeff Quinn did test on?
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Bisley45.htm

Byron
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I wouldn't go much over $600 for that one unless you really have to own it.
I have one but seldom shoot it as I found that I don't care for the oversized grip frame.

Jack
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:I'm thinking more like 4-500 in real, non-crazy dollars....
Yep, more like it.....................

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Overpriced by about $400.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Got Him to leave it with Me. I forgot that it had Stag Grips. It was mfg in 1996, some kind of Centennial model. Engraved on the Cyl is " Ruger 1896 Revolver- Bisley Model". It does have some nice engraved scenes on the cylinder. I didn't know He had the box and papers and the little allen wrench to lock the cyl pin.
Couple Pics. Prolly not worth any more but at least I have all the info now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Now if that had a 10-½" barrel...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You guys are forgetting those assault single actions are going up. Laugh if you want. I remember watching the Cisco Kid on TV shoot thirty some times from a single action without ever stopping to reload.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff wrote:Now if that had a 10-½" barrel...
#Uno

JB, U know this Board is monitored and if Dianne gets hold that little Nuggett. :lol: :arrow:
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JB wrote:You guys are forgetting those assault single actions are going up. Laugh if you want. I remember watching the Cisco Kid on TV shoot thirty some times from a single action without ever stopping to reload.
Funny truth: back in 1990/91 when I was trying to start/build our cowboy action club in the DFW region, I attended the Dallas Pistol Club matches; speed plates, combat pistol, and their 2-gun matches (pistol & shotgun, no rifles allowed on premises except .22 indoor). At a speed pistol match they had a stage set up with 6 targets, shooter seated with pistol (revolver or auto depending on your class) and the targets across a round table (think small poker table). At the buzzer, grab the gun and put one shot on each target... scored center-of-mass no deduction, outside COM = +1 sec., miss = well, don't or shoot till you got one shot on target.

I shot my SAA Colt, .45Colt. Won the stage overall. But was accused of cheating. Said I "fanned" the revolver. Offered to reshoot while they video'd and they could see, when played back, that see my trigger finger moved with each shot. About ¾ of the shooters said to let the time stand and 99% of the other ¼ said to reshoot and video. ONE lone, individual (a club officer and the person with the 3rd best time, who's son had the 2nd best time), refused, said it would delay the match too much. That was the last time I shot there. But, 3 of my very good friends were there and shot cowboy with me for years afterwards. 2 whom became skilled enough to regularly beat me.

Proven over and over, that a skilled two-handed shooter with a SA revolver, will have a faster lock time with the SA over an semi-auto. The spin time for 1/6th of a revolution is faster than the slide lock to slide lock on a semi-auto.

As much as I despise a certain gun writer, he did an article on the SA vs DA revolver as a self-defense weapon. In all tests for the 1st shot drill, the SA won! In almost all courses of fire that only required 5 or 6 shots, the SA tied or beat the DA. The failure of the SA is when more than 6 shots might or ARE required. I've even carried my SA "on duty" when a Sheriff's deputy. But... only when any risk of actual engagement was extremely low (read non-existant)! I might be a show-off, but I ain't a fool!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

JB,
I saw that episode also, remember saying I got to get a gun like that.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Now we get more info...... The (real)Stag grips add quite a bit to the value IMHO.
Centennial models don`t bring a premium in most cases.
When Ruger was making the anniversary model flat tops they had a hard time selling them all and had quite a few left overs that they sold at reduced prices. Now they only bring slightly more than standard Blackhawks in the same barrel length and caliber.