Basset hounds?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Basset hounds?

Post by Pitchy »

Well bros if we don`t find Snoopy soon we are thinking about maybe finding a Basset hound.
Anyone have one and opinions?

When it rains it pours, found out today an old feller i`ve been friends with for over 30 years passed away from cancer Thursday. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Basset hounds?

Post by sore shoulder »

Pitchy, as a dog lover, a trainer of dogs for personal protection and police work and having worked with a lot of breeds and studied dog behavior and breeding, I beg you, please reconsider your choice of dog. No offense intended to those who may own and love a Bassett, but two words immediately come to mind when I see the name Bassett, rock and stupid. As in rock stupid. And dangerous. I once had to jump off a roof, run across the street and brain one with a framing hammer to get it off the 10 year old boy who was walking it. It had chewed the kid up pretty good for no reason other than not wanting to go where the boy was wanting.

Now Beagle, there's a dog.

Just my opinion. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My sister and hubby had a basset....what no good :wink: They could have put a down payment on anything in the world paying the vet bill....bassets, evidently, are not healthy. If I was in a cold place like that, a Lab would be a good choice, or, some sort of hairy terrier if you like smaller dogs. Those beagles can't be beat, Bro 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Pitchy,
Labs are a lot of work, they have a lot of energy, headstrong.
If they like you, they go to heck and back for you.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

My kids grew up with a Basset. Very good dog, unless you happened to be the trash man, or a cat.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My sense is you'd be buying yourself a piece of work...or running the risk. I've "known" several Bassetts that were incredibly endearing, and unlike some here none that were particularly dangerous (tht I knew of) - but nevertheless were pieces of work. At the very least, they'll eat you out of house and home without providing that great a return as a walking companion. Get something with some legs--or if not, a smaller body atop the short legs! (See aforementioned beagle!).

I'm a springer guy - can't beat a good springer especially of field breeding, but any'll do...though I've had mostly show strains--as pets, not to show--and all were wonderful and all very decent in the field to boot...but I haven't liked what such breeding has done to the markings as a trend--virtually no freckles, ticking etc.)...but like all spaniels and setters, etc., they will shed if that's a sensitivity. We just kept ours combed and reasonably cut (not shaved but closer to field cut than show) every now and then--no problem.

Anyway, got distracted with my own springer love there for a minute :) ..I'd say if looking for a decent companion you can have fun trekking through the woods with a spaniel, setter, pointer, retriever, aforementioned beagle, etc. If you like the larger breeds but need/want to keep size down , look for a runt. They can make great dogs. Being a runt as a pup doesn't guarantee they'll stay small, but a better chance they will if you want something small.

Here's an esoteric one for you - look for a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever! Essentially an English-or Welsh-springer sized Golden retriever. Now, how can that be bad?! Pictures I've seen suggest they're not quite as handsome as either, and I know little else about them except one owner who said (in.a very short email) they were great wetland birders--as you might guess--and incredibly hardy. Now someone will chime in that they're baby killers or some such, so I'll let things be on that one!

A friend has had champion Weimareiners for over thirty years, and every one of them thinks they're a lap dog--for the good--but they're smarter and a heck of a lot faster and more durable than you are, which can be to the bad if you're a low energy sort as the owner and supposed "master." Apartment dogs they're not (though 've actually heard of it) and you need to spend time with them and give--or allow--them lots of exercise or they'll take over! Other than they're inherently not for the northrn climes, an otherwise more all-round capable dog I'm not aware of. But they"re hardly for everyone because of their physical abilities and energy.
Now, I know that every breed has their bad eggs (I've seen a few crazed, poorly-bred springers in my day--especially the last twenty years...used to be they we're as golden as, say, Goldens, in terms of zero risk of getting a bad one even from an entirely random back yard breeder. They still are a good bet, but less so than before if you're just randomly picking one "off the street.")...but I digress,...every one of his Weimies has been a lover, really thinks--to a dog--they're a person...and most others I've seen are that way too. Ditto Goldens and most Gordon and English Setters I've met. Want a small spaniel, give an English cocker a whirl. Though they've got their own endearments and quirks, I think of them as a super user friendly-sized springer for those more space- constrained...and since they're a lot more scarce than the ol' solid (buff, black) and parti-colored American cocker, I think most you find have "serious" owners who are really into them as a breed, and thus your chance of a good one--especially as a field companion--are greater.

If you've got the sense I like field/hunting breeds, and especially the longer-legged (or at least well proportioned) ones, you've got it right. They've got a way bout them. All the retrievers, pointers, setters and spaniels especially seem to have a common lineage, in the eyes in particular--a "knowingness" that forms such an immediate bond with you, and they're always eager and more than capable to trek with you, whether it's down to the mailbox or on a five day hunt.

Longer than intended, but there you go!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I suppose everyone has their favorite breed. I grew up with a poodle. No, not one of those bred down highstrung fru fru dogs, but a standard. In fact, he was so large that even though papered and bred for show he was so big wouldn't qualify (as in about 125 to 140 when young and healthy). Now there are lots of good standards out there, but there are also some so inbred that they have serious mental and health issues.

So what am I getting at. Well, I'd suggest you just go to the animals shelter and find a cute mutt puppy with big feet. They usually grow into the feet, and mutts & large breeds tend to be better tempered. Mutts also tend to avoid many of the health issues purebreds have.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pitchy, you ever thought about a Welsh Corgi? Or if you want a bigger dog, a Weimeraner.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

corgi is a great dog....... a classmate in medical school had a bassett named Dudley......i am a dog lover but that dog was so stupid and stubborn ......
hard to stop laughing about Dudley all these years later.
cable
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pitchy, have you thought about maybe a Jack Russell Terrier?

They're smallish and I hear that they are smart. Or a Boston Terrier?

I don't have either one, but I hear they're good dogs.

Me, I like big dogs.

What are you looking for in your dog? (Other than being low slung :lol: )

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Pitchy, have you thought about maybe a Jack Russell Terrier?

They're smallish and I hear that they are smart. Or a Boston Terrier?

I don't have either one, but I hear they're good dogs.

Me, I like big dogs.

What are you looking for in your dog? (Other than being low slung :lol: )

:)
You guys have heard me talk about Thor...he's a Boston. Boston's are not good in the cold, or hot...They have tons of heart, and are smart as a whip, just not very stout.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Go with a german basset - a dachshound! Clever, loyal and with a lot of stamina, and also very useful as a hunting mate.
taxen C.jpeg
As queen Victoria said: Nothing will turn a man's home into a castle more quickly and effectively than a dachshund.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If you have kids bassets and beagles are great. You always know where the kids are, just listen for the dogs barking. But bark they do all the time. My neighbor's kid has a basset . They went away for a wedding and would go let him out a couple times a day. He would go out for a pee and them just sit there and bark. I would have to go pick him up and take him to the house. Well I figured out that being low to the ground his transmission drags in the snow. He didn't like that and I don't blame him. :lol:

I have a Brittany and they aren't hyper like a spaniel or a block head like some labs can be. The hardest thing was teaching him to bark when people drove in. I never heard him bark for the first four years. But then he figured out that he was in charge of security. He will start barking with my wifes car two minutes before she pulls in the driveway, he can tell her car that far away.

He stays outside execpt when we are home. No vet bills with him at all, he is 12. The most entertaining and goofy dog I had was a Keeshound, a great dog. My brother in law has corgi's , I would put them in with basset's and far as training and listening to you. It is tough picking out a dog that could be part of your life for a long time. I always give it great thought.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well guys that`s lots of info to chew, we are not necessarily looking for low slung and myself think the spaniels are great looking dogs. I thought they might be to high strung because of their hunting breading.
Lots to think about for sure and agree we need to go look at a few.
I`m going to give it some more time before we replace Snoopy, dang i miss him, find myself scratching the blanket in the morn where he should be. :(
Thanks guys appreciate the advice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper been looking there some, thanks bro. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Every Bassett I've known was a wandering, stinking, farting, sloppy dog but a great friend and family member.

PS - my gal is a miniature Schnauzer. She's a great dog but tends to see squirrel and go without a thought for anything else. Great alarm, but not a guard dog. FWIW we've had German Shepherds, Goldens and English Setters, Dad bred Springers, Mom bred Dobermans. A dog is part what you make it. Just like a wife (or husband), you make your choice and commit to a life-time (but you know that).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I m from Nova Scotia and seen more than a few Nova Scotia tolling dogs.They are great dogs but as with a lot of birddogs have lots of energy and can be quite hyper .They need to be hunted and lots of exercise or can quite destructive.I d vote for a good beagle, good hunters,easy to keep and love to please.Now that I ve said that I too have a Boston terrier, they make one of the best companion dogs going and have great sense of humor/devilment.When I retire though I ll be getting a beagle for rabbits as well
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I had a mutt beagle mix (called him Pooch) that had to be the best dog I have ever had. Would play ball with my son all day and was really a good catch. You could throw a tennis ball as high as you wanted and he would watch it and usually caught it before it would hit the ground. Stayed mostly outdoors unless really cold and then he would sleep in the garage because he found the house too warm. Lived for 16 years and never cost me a cent in vet bills. He only barked when something was wrong or someone he didn't know came in the yard. Lots to be said for a mixed breed dog.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We have a beagle mix and I'd have to say she's not the brightest bulb in the harbor. She hasn't cost us anything in vet bills except her shots. She barks almost all night long, but since I work nights and am away most of that time it doesn't bother me. I figure she's barking at the yotes and the foxes which keeps them away from the chickens, which is a good thing.
Years ago i had a doberman that was smarter than anything else I've ever met. I actually ran into a guy that used to raise dobermans that told me if you've ever owner a doberman any other dog you're around will seem retarded.
I think the dachshunds are closely related to the dobermans in the intelligence dept.

I hope you find a new buddy soon Pitchy. I' sure you must be heartbroken.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Rusty wrote: I actually ran into a guy that used to raise dobermans that told me if you've ever owner a doberman any other dog you're around will seem retarded.
Apparently he was never around German Shepherds or Standard Poodles, both of which I've trained extensively, in addition to Dobies and Rottweilers. Dobies arent even in the same class as those two breeds. Dobies are simply a Rottweiler bred to a Greyhound, and neither of those are at the top of the dog intelligence list.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Known a couple Bassets and both were dumb as a rock. For where you live a Lab would do well, mine have both loved the snow and cold. My old Tasha ( can't believe it's been over two years she's been gone) would go out and bust holes in the ice on our creek just so she could have a splash about!

If you like the smaller dogs, I'll second the vote for a Jack Russell or a Rat Terrier. I have one of each and they are
a couple of the smartest creatures I've ever known. My little Rat Terrier is only about ten pounds but he runs the herd here including our Dane, well at least he tries. :D He loves being outside and playing in the snow. Comes back to the door when he gets cold and wants back out as soon as he warms up.

There's lots of great dogs out there. The German Shepherd is an amazing dog but I've never had one. I was attacked by one when I was about ten/ eleven. Nothing against the breed, just don't want one.

I'm still hoping you find Snoop, but there's other great dogs out there that need homes too.
My lab and Rat were both headed for the pound when I found them. I wouldn't trade anything for either one!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Every Bassett I've known was a wandering, stinking, farting, sloppy dog but a great friend and family member.
Now, wait a minute :? ...that describes about 3/4 of this board...be more specific.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

I am a bit biased since getting my 'Dumpster Buddy' ! After losing my 'Brit' to a hit and run on Christmas eve around 20 years ago I come across a 'Beagle Rescue' site in '08 online . After looking through it and going back to it several times looking at a 6 mo. old male Beagle posted there I just had to inquire ! He along with 6 siblings and his mother were dumped in a dumpster behind a vetrinary office known in area for indiscriminate euthinasia as I was told by the rescue organization .
Long story short , after talking with the lady a few times on phone and filling out adoption papers we agreed meeting midway in state as she was located on north border and I on southern border .
When 'Jake' and I met we were instantly 'bonded' as they call it ! I have never had a closer relationship with a dog than that little guy ! The only drawback if you can call it that is his nose ! If he scents something interesting to him he is on it ! He can be hard headed but so can I , so I guess we're even :lol:

If I go to the door hes 2 steps behind , because he's going too !
He is my best friend !
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Hounds are hounds.
If you are going to be a hound man, you have to be humble enough to realize that your dog is smarter than you are.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jeepnik wrote: Well, I'd suggest you just go to the animals shelter and find a cute mutt puppy with big feet. They usually grow into the feet, and mutts & large breeds tend to be better tempered. Mutts also tend to avoid many of the health issues purebreds have.
this :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys, still thinking Newfoundland too.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I love dogs of all kinds, mainly the larger breeds. I am most partial to retrievers, either Labs or Goldens. I have one of each. With any dog, you have to let them know who's in charge, and be consistent with what you expect of them.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

There are two types of dog in this world, there are rottweilers and there are mutts, take your pick :lol:
Dobies are simply a Rottweiler bred to a Greyhound,
:shock: :shock: :shock:

History.
The Doberman to this day is credited to a man named Louis Dobermann, he was a tax collector in Germany and developed the breed to use as his guard dog, he used a variety of dogs that each had unique traits that he wanted for his 'new' dog. Although which breeds he used for certain are not completely known, it is known that he used a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, a Manchester Terrier, a Greyhound and the German Sheppard. There are also a few other breeds thought to be in the Dobermans heritage but it's not certain. Louis Doberman first started work on the breed in the late 1800's and in 1889 they were officially recognized by the German Kennel Club. They were often used as police dogs and also tracking dogs, the breed developed in America after the 1st World War as many American soldiers became so attached to the breed they took them home with them.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Fellers i`m having a hard time getting through this , it`s the not knowing where Snoop is that`s killing me.
I keep putting myself in his head and picturing how he must be feeling wanting to come home.
This is tough and we don`t know how to get past it, that`s why we are thinking about getting another dog.
I know i need to get back into my faith but i`m asking why God allowed this to happen :(
Sorry to keep on about it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

No apologies necessary Pitchy! I can't imagine how hard this must be.

j

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I have always found that the best way (for me) to get past the loss of a dog is to get another. I have never been more than 2 weeks without a dog my entire life.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Frankie is Beagle/Pug. She is slower, loves to ride and snores.
Gizmo is Beagle/Jack Russel. He is quiet, loves to run and is the smartest dog I've ever owned.
Scooter I think is Miniature Schnauser/ Cairn Terrier. Soft and cute and loves the ball.
All are good watch dogs and friends. I would recomend any mixed breed like these to anyone.
One helpful suggestion. Go on Youtube and do "Dogs 101". They will give a visual as well as accurate description of most breeds. Great show. We used it to try to determine what Scooter is.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pitchy,
I know as much as you miss your snoop dog consider this, you have Mrs Pitchy.

Little Snoop dog might have latched onto someone in that 1,500 lot trailer park that doesn't have anyone. Maybe God thought that someone that lost their lifelong mate needed a little pard with a quiet loving personality to be a companion in a time of need that nobody else could fill. God just used you to deliver that angel of love to the right place at the right time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

gundownunder wrote:There are two types of dog in this world, there are rottweilers and there are mutts, take your pick :lol:
Dobies are simply a Rottweiler bred to a Greyhound,
:shock: :shock: :shock:

History.
The Doberman to this day is credited to a man named Louis Dobermann, he was a tax collector in Germany and developed the breed to use as his guard dog, he used a variety of dogs that each had unique traits that he wanted for his 'new' dog. Although which breeds he used for certain are not completely known, it is known that he used a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, a Manchester Terrier, a Greyhound and the German Sheppard. There are also a few other breeds thought to be in the Dobermans heritage but it's not certain. Louis Doberman first started work on the breed in the late 1800's and in 1889 they were officially recognized by the German Kennel Club. They were often used as police dogs and also tracking dogs, the breed developed in America after the 1st World War as many American soldiers became so attached to the breed they took them home with them.

I was immediately inclined to question the validity of the above, considering Captain Max Von Stephanitz, original breeder of the German Shepherd, did not register his first GSD, Horand v. Grafrath, until 1895. According to the extensive amount of research I've done on GSD and Rottweiler history I cannot accept the dates in conjunction with the breeds mentioned in the article. The article also calls its own information into question, and rightfully so. Herr Dobermann may have taken an interest in dog breeding at that time, but the rest is suspect as fiction.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Also gundownunder, having owned 3 Rotties prior to my first GSD, I can easily state that, although they are a magnificet animal and pleasure to train and own as pets, a Rottie isn't in the same class as a GSD, neither athletically nor intelligence wise. There is a very good reason that the dominant breed in Schutzhund and police work is the GSD.

Pitchy, get a Beagle, and if Snoopy comes home he will have a buddy. :)
11B30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Rusty wrote:Pitchy,
I know as much as you miss your snoop dog consider this, you have Mrs Pitchy.

Little Snoop dog might have latched onto someone in that 1,500 lot trailer park that doesn't have anyone. Maybe God thought that someone that lost their lifelong mate needed a little pard with a quiet loving personality to be a companion in a time of need that nobody else could fill. God just used you to deliver that angel of love to the right place at the right time.
Thanks pard and i`d like to believe that is the case.
My problem is i`m a gear head and every possibility keeps going round and round in my head.
We will keep our faith and that there is a good reason for it and try and stay busy and think of other things.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jf19451
Levergunner

Post by jf19451 »

Contrary to popular belief Basset Hounds are not stupid, however they only do what they want to do. The Pros are: They are cute, smart, and passive. The cons: They drool, hard to train, stubborn, and eat a lot. I have had 3 Bassets in my life and I gotta say never again.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

IMO there are 2 options. #1 is adopting an ADULT dog. Have a good idea what you are getting before hand and let the pound know that it will be getting it back if it isn't EXACTLY what you need. Don't get attached to problems! #2 is puppies. But only puppies where you can see and interact with at least one parent, preferably both. Pound puppies are out. All are cute but you have no idea what you are getting.

Personally I'd avoid hunting breeds and especially hunting bloodlines for buddy dogs anymore. Hunting terriers and beagles are a handful, hunting hounds know one thing, how to use their nose, hunting strains of labs can be dumb and headstrong, same for shorthairs. I want a dog that cares where I'm at and what I'm doing not what every critter on the planet is doing. All dogs worth a spit chase, I want one that keeps chases short. Think hard about shepherds, heelers, Catahoula's and mixes between them.

Now if you are wanting a dog for hunting too than look very very hard at the various strains of Mt. Curs. Once again you want to see, spend time with and possibly hunt with the parents cause some of their strains are being ruined too but overall Curs handle much better than most of the hunting breeds.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I've got a hunting Beagle who is a product of a fine hunting line. He is also my house dog. Since my wife passed he is usually with me all day, every day. Easiest dog to house break we ever had and he is smart too. When it comes time to hunt he isn't afraid to crawl through thorny thickets but as he gets older I see him using his nose more, trying to determine it there's anything hiding under the thorny cover. Is he perfect, he!! no. He sometimes chases deer but actually hasn't done that in about 5 years but I still don't trust him with deer. He has never run with another dog so all his hunting skills are embedded in his genes. While hunting I used to call my wife when the chase was getting close enough just so she could hear him approaching. She loved to listen to him when he was on a chase.

A big plus is that he loves the entire family, from tiny great grandsons to my adult children and they all like him too. Biggest minus is that he isn't much of a watch dog. He rarely barks at home despite the fact that I have been trying to get him to make some noise when strangers are at the door. Another plus is that you can always find a beagle looking for a home. Not so easy to find various exotic breeds.

As for bassets I have heard that you should have two shovels for a basset, one to shovel in the feed and the other to handle the poop. "Shovel it in and shovel it out".
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Gents. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

most beautiful dog I've ever owned was an Akita, but she did not age gracefully.
Best watchdog was an elkhound.
Now have a boxer, and he is the best listener and most obedient dog I've ever seen.
He's also totally tied to his fenced acre, and thinks an open gate or even an invitation inside the house is a plot to trap him outside of his yard - he has nothing like wanderlust.
The only time he will come in is when the weather is really foul - wind, rain, freeze.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

This Beagle is at a dog shelter about 50 miles from us, we haven`t gone to look yet but looks like a nice dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25181484

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love Beagles, smart and tough dogs!

My Mom has a Beagle/ "sneaky neighbor dog" mix that is a super watch dog and would rip the face off anyone who dared to come in uninvited!

:D

jb 8)

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One thing about Beagles. That voice! BEAGLE !! BEAGLE !! Great dogs.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pitchy wrote:This Beagle is at a dog shelter about 50 miles from us, we haven`t gone to look yet but looks like a nice dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25181484

I will be surprised if that one does not come home with you :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Checking into these.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

http://www.google.com/search?q=northern ... 42&bih=824

These are some that are adapted for your winters.

I wonder how German Shepherds are in winter Frank? How do they handle cold and deep snow?

Chows have a rep as one-man dogs and can be unpredictable with strangers. I knew a very beautiful one once.

Springers can have issues in snow, it can ball up in their feet and hobble them. 'Course you can put snow shoes on them. Not that kind. Same problem with their feathers, but they need the outer coat for warmth in winter. Ours lives indoors and likes the sunshine pouring from the wood stove.

Portuguese Water Dogs have warm curly coats and don't shed. They look sort of like standard poodles but not as big.

I treasure Rusty's thought about Snoop bring some love to someone who really needs it. Definitely.

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz, GSD's absolutely love the snow. They have a very thick downy undercoat and until it gets well below zero, as far as I can tell they thrive in the cold.
11B30
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer has a subset of Jack Russell called an Atlas Terrier. It is an almost solid black Jack Russell. That dog, Sparkle Diamond, is so smart that she has learned to obey some American Sign Language. Sparkle has unlimited energy, and loves to sleep on your lap. She will suddenly go turbocharging around the house as if chasing an imaginary rocket powered rat, then come back as if nothing has happened. She loves everyone. She has also killed a few rats and mice around the place. Atlas Terriers are worth looking into.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost