New member, new Rossi.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wamj2008
Levergunner

New member, new Rossi.

Post by wamj2008 »

Howdy everyone, greetings from Maine. Just picked up my rossi M92 trapper in SS! However it's covered in gunk, and it looks like the innards are covered in gunk, too. Is this pretty standard? Strip the whole thing down to pieces and douse em in Hoppe's?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New member, new Rossi.

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno if I've had a Rossi 'covered in gunk' before, but I'd probably at least field-strip it and run a patch down the barrel before firing it.

The worst parts of taking one apart are:
  • a) getting the ejector in place when replacing the bolt (use an empty cartridge case to hold it in place - see the NKJ video or other forum resources) and

b) getting the forearm back in place without stripping the barrel-band stud threads (some are very easy, but some seem 'stressed' in place, and you about have to do some drilling and rasping to the wood to get it back on.
If it's not all that 'gunky' I might just run a patch down it and fire it without taking the bolt out or forend off. An aerosol degreaser sprayed into the bolt-face firing-pin hole might de-gunk that area. If you're going to use it for 'critical defense' purposes, though - I would definitely thoroughly degrease it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome, you will enjoy it here :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Welcome aboard. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Welcome! Where in Maine? I've got roots (father born/raised) in Saco plus a modest % tribal ancestry-background along the coast, Acadia, etc, and friends recently relocated from Colorado to Presque Isle upstate. I've probably still got some extended family in the Saco area (late uncle's clan) I've lost track of.
Congrats and good luck on the 92!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Penobscot?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never have seen one with gunk but I would degunk it without taking it apart.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

dracothered
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dracothered »

Old Savage wrote:Never have seen one with gunk but I would degunk it without taking it apart.
I wouldn't say my Rossi was all gunked up, but I would say they were a little heavy on their factory grease / lube and I took it down to just removing the bolt. Cleaned it up and then used some gun oil on it.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Old Savage wrote:The Penobscot?
OS, if that was directed at me - Micmac (Mi'kmaq) tribe. You'd never know it to see me - the rest is English/Scotch-Irish and looking every bit of.
Last edited by gak on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome !!
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

gak - if you get enough Scotch into the Irish/English no telling what that would look like regardless of how much Micmac you have. :D

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yes, they can be kind of gummed up with some sort of tacky lube - I've seen it. It comes off easy with Hoppes etc., but be careful with the wood because the stain in that will strip out pretty easy. If you use a spray cleaner (Gun Scrubber etc.) you'll want to use the plastics/finish safe kind.

This: http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=54

Not this: http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=5

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OS, "Scotch" is its liquor, "Scots" are its people. Which didja mean?

And for our new member, Image and Welcome to THE Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My mother and grandfather were Scotch Irish and that is Scotch Irish - there are also Scots. And, of course :D there is scotch. But, I want you to stay away from that firewater.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Griff wrote:OS, "Scotch" is its liquor, "Scots" are its people. Which didja mean?
A little bit of both :) Yes, you're right, so used to slurring it phonetically. More properly Scots or Scottish. As for the Scotch, I don't touch the stuff. My father, aside from the Micmac influence, an otherwise "total" Irishman by ancestry embibed enough Scotch for the rest of us! .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gak wrote:
Griff wrote:OS, "Scotch" is its liquor, "Scots" are its people. Which didja mean?
A little bit of both :) Yes, you're right, so used to slurring it phonetically. More properly Scots or Scottish. As for the Scotch, I don't touch the stuff. My father, aside from the Micmac influence, an otherwise "total" Irishman by ancestry embibed enough Scotch for the rest of us! .
GAK, "Scotch-Irish" is an accepted Americanism for the descendants of a particular kind of Irish immigrant.

Oly (part Scotch-Irish on my Mom's side)
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

olyinaz wrote:
gak wrote:
GAK, "Scotch-Irish" is an accepted Americanism for the descendants of a particular kind of Irish immigrant.

Oly (part Scotch-Irish on my Mom's side)
My mother was English-Scottish and my father predominately Irish - so not sure how that turns out, proper terminology-wise? I just know that most (or at least a lot) folks at least on this side of the pond slur the Scottish or Scots part to "Scotch," whether they should or not. I'm open to correction!
wamj2008
Levergunner

Post by wamj2008 »

I found this disassembly video on youtube in regards to the Win 92, I am assuming the two guns are identical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmC4nBJUyc

Thanks!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to a great forum! Glad to see another Mainiac.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

wamj2008 wrote:I found this disassembly video on youtube in regards to the Win 92, I am assuming the two guns are identical?
They are of course quite similar but the Rossi uses a different mainspring strategy and disassembly of that is different; the key being that there is a little hole in the mainspring rod you poke a pin through when about cocked and this then takes off the spring pressure as you take her on apart. I'm sure you can find a lot better disassembly directions than those in that video. Try this link: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/RossiDis.html
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IIRC, Steve at Steve's Gunz has said that unlike the Rossi, the Armi-Sport (Chiappa) version uses a screw vs. a pin to hold the lever to the bolt. Don't go trying to DRIVE it out with a drift. At least until you get this confirmed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!