Winchester 94 Replacement Saddle Ring Stud

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 94 Replacement Saddle Ring Stud

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Good Day;
I have been offered a Winchester 94 SRC from the 1920's that has had the Saddle ring Stud ground off.
Why someone did this is beyond me. Anyway Do any of You think or have knowledge of if I could tap this and then thread it
out and then thread in a replacement? I believe I read somewhere they thread out counterclockwise? Thank heavens he didn't grind into the receiver. I should also ask where a replacement stud and ring may be purchased?
If this wasn't a 25-35 Winchester I would probably leave her be but I feel she should be put right.
Thank-you
Respectfully

Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 Replacement Saddle Ring Stud

Post by Pete44ru »

When you manage to unscrew what's left of the threaded shaft from the receiver, several parts vendors carry saddle ring assemblies, complete w/studs.

I'd try Bob's Gun Parts (google) first.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I believe the early rifles had a different thread than the later rifles. Someone here will know. Congrats with your new find. 1886.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

If you can get the remains of the old stud out, then you can re-thread/bush or whatever is needed to fit a replacement. If the rest of the carbine is decent, I think I would turn it over to a competent 'smith, unless you are a decent backyard machinist. Don't bugger up the side of the receiver in other words. :!: Is it worth spending a few bucks on it :?:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The early and late (Post War, ie Post 64) threads are different--I forget what pitch/tpi--and the later also different design that keeps the ring elevated off the receiver....in case someone tries to pass one off as the other and knowingly or not says "all are the same."
+1 worth getting it to a smith that knows the old Winchesters, and not just someone who says "uh, yeah, I can do that."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Doc.Holliday wrote:Good Day;
I have been offered a Winchester 94 SRC from the 1920's that has had the Saddle ring Stud ground off.
Why someone did this is beyond me. Anyway Do any of You think or have knowledge of if I could tap this and then thread it
out and then thread in a replacement? I believe I read somewhere they thread out counterclockwise? Thank heavens he didn't grind into the receiver. I should also ask where a replacement stud and ring may be purchased?
If this wasn't a 25-35 Winchester I would probably leave her be but I feel she should be put right.
Thank-you
Respectfully

Doc.

The threads are standard right hand. If any of the stud boss is still present, it may be pretty tight. Carefully drilling it on center with a smaller pit and using a broken screw extractor may work, or a left handed drill bit. I've seen a numer of old carbines with the ring studs ground off, I think they just didnt realize they unscrewed. Most people simply unscrewed them and tossed the rings. A few used a filler screw to fill the hole, many just left the hole empty, one I had had the hole filled with pine pitch.

I dont recall the screw diameter or thread pitch, the old ones are larger diameter, (about 3/16" or 1/4", and may be the same size/pitch as the old front tang sight screw hole), the later ones used on commemoratives were noticably smaller diameter.

Why someone did this is because the rings make noise and scratch the reciever. Many folks simply dont care for them (I'd be one of those). They don't have much practical use unless one carries their carbine with a military carbine sling (over the shoulder strap with snap to clip to the ring). Some folks have been using that type carry system recently.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Doc
As noted earlier, standard ¼-28 right hand thread. If it’s been ground flush with the frame it will probably have to be drilled out. First I would try drilling down the center and using a screw remover/easy out and try it that way. Hopefully they didn’t use glue/epoxy/loctite on the threads. If they did, and the simple solution doesn’t work, the stud may have to be drilled out. That would require drilling down the center of the stud then picking out the threads, that’s best left to someone with the right equipment…. But easily doable.

V/R

Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My very first Win 94 SRC ( circa 1909 ) was devoid of the saddle ring when I got it. Someone had kindly fabricated a home made plug with a screwdriver slot for it so it was easy to remove.
I had bought a new saddle ring and of course the stud wasn't the same size. I took it and the home made plug to a hard ware store, bought a bolt of the correct diameter, then bought a drill bit and a tap to match the threads on the SR.

When I got home I put the end of bolt in the vise and chopped off the head and filed it square.
Then I drilled down into the center and when that was done I tapped it. After cleaning out the metal bits I tried the SR in it and it fit nicely.

Then I cut the bolt off just a bit longer than the stud on the new ring, Loctited it, filed the bottom smooth, beveled the edges and threaded the SR into it.

Problem solved. My old SRC had saddle ring that did not clatter or touch the side of the receiver. Not that it mattered any to me as I'm one of those malcontents that like saddle rings.

Oh, and I did this all when I was 15 or 16 years old without adult supervision. No U-tube, no video instruction manuals, no tutorials, just ingenuity and one picture from the skinny old Numrich catalog of the day.

Doc,
More than likely the old stud is stuck from old oil and being turned in tight.
Lay the rifle on it's left side and put some penetrating oil in there so it can soak in around the stud. Do that first and later if needed try some heat. Use a hair drier, it won't hurt the rifle but will get it hot enough so the penetrating oil can get in to work.

If you can get the old stud out without destroying it, you might be able to make a bushing out of it to use a modern SR. Like I did. :D

Gook luck.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

J Miller wrote:My very first Win 94 SRC ( circa 1909 ) was devoid of the saddle ring when I got it. Someone had kindly fabricated a home made plug with a screwdriver slot for it so it was easy to remove.
I had bought a new saddle ring and of course the stud wasn't the same size. I took it and the home made plug to a hard ware store, bought a bolt of the correct diameter, then bought a drill bit and a tap to match the threads on the SR.

If you can get the old stud out without destroying it, you might be able to make a bushing out of it to use a modern SR. Like I did. :D

Gook luck.

Joe
That's a good idea Joe. With care, the ground off stud may be able to be drilled and tapped in place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Or: From Winchester Bob

W94055 SADDLE RING AND STUD (CORRECT ORIGINAL THREAD 1/4-30) $25.00
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Many thanks Gentlemen for all your welcome and kind advice. You have all given me excellent ideas and information on sizing and replacement parts and suppliers
Much appreciated

Respectfully
Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896