1895 Oklahoma Territory U.S. Marshal doc. mystery solved!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

1895 Oklahoma Territory U.S. Marshal doc. mystery solved!

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a document that tells the pay for a Deputy U.S. Marshal Joe P. Jennings to go with Deputy U.S. Marshal S.S. Nix to arrest Marion Hammons in the Osage Nation. I got it today in the mail. It is signed by both men plus U.S. Marshal E.D. Nix who was assigned to wipe out the Dalton-Doolin Gang in the 1890s under Judge Isaac Parker "The Hanging Judge". In 1929 E.D. Nix wrote the book "The Oklahombres". It was all about the Dalton-Doolin Gang and other outlaws that roamed the Indian Territory and the rest of the Southwest. S.S. Nix, former Deputy Sheriff, was the father of the young 32 year old U.S. Marshal E.D. Nix. E.D. Nix's brother was also a Deputy U.S. Marshal. "The Three Guardsmen" Heck Thomas, Chris Madsen, and Bill Tighman also worked under E.D. Nix. I thought y'all might like to see this. RR7

E.D. Nix top left and "The Three Guardsmen"

S.S. Nix as a Lieutenant in the Civil War

Part of the Dalton Gang that was killed in Coffeyville Kansas while try to rob two banks at the same time.

The end of the Dalton-Doolin Gang.

Bob Dalton's Colt SAA that was taken off his body at Coffeyville.

"The Battle at Ingalls", Ingalls is now a ghost town near Stillwater Oklahoma. The saloon and stables were the sight of the gunfight between The Deputies and the Dalton-Doolin Gang.

Another view of the above photo but someone laid a nice lever across them.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Picked up a 1895 U.S. Marshal document.

Post by yooper2 »

Super interesting as always. Thanks for sharing these little bits of history. 8)

Eric
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up a 1895 U.S. Marshal document.

Post by JerryB »

A fine looking Colt and great pictures, thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up a 1895 Oklahoma Territory U.S. Marshal documen

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, what kind of levergun is that, the forearm looks short.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Printer's form identification (right, top) interesting.

Printers' union bug missing.

Neat overall, thanks.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I just noticed that somebody took those fella's boots.

Did they think they might get up and run away?

:?:
:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Looks like the corpses are in handcuffs.
Why?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

RR7 Thanks for the post, has always very interesting. I had a friend who lived in Coffeeville and I visited her in 1988. They had the Dalton muesum in town and it was interesting to see. The Win 1886 in the photo was one of the Daltons and in 38-56 cal.
One thing that really impressed me was that those evil men killed 21 people trying to get out of town and the hardware store had passed out all there shooting hardware to any man willing to get into the action. Very different times!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A post of substance! :D Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time for the pics and write-up.

As to the handcuffs on the dead dudes.....I guess it was an easy way to keep their hands in the front and together----------------better for picture taking. :D Tying them up would require knots and untying, or if cutting the rope with a knife, (after picture taking) possibly inflicting a cut on their wrist which could lead to a nasty infection. :D

Its really something how history makes criminals like those Dalton guys, Butch Cassidy, Billy the Kid, Bonny & Clyde, etc look like.....well........almost like "good guys" or people who were caught up in bad times, when in reality they were nothing but a bunch of dirt bag murderers who deserved their demise.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

EdinCT, thanks for the information on the 86. I have a 1886 Winchester rifle in 38-56 and the info makes a good reference for people to look at. I think the old camera and the angle makes the forearm look short. I'm not sure, it could be a short rifle. Did any of them have a shorter forearm? Thanks again, RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

RR7, a very pretty piece of history you have their. Boy, that old Bill Tilghman got around didn't he?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote:Cool, what kind of levergun is that, the forearm looks short.
Thanks EdinCT
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Pitchy, I knew it was an 1886 but the forearm and the barrel looked a bit odd to me too. I decided to wait and see what members said about it. Thanks to EdinCT we got more information. :? RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rangerider7 wrote:Pitchy, I knew it was an 1886 but the forearm and the barrel looked a bit odd to me too. I decided to wait and see what members said about it. Thanks to EdinCT we got more information. :? RR7
Yepper, just wanted too thank him also, something weird about that forearm. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

very cool
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 Oklahoma Territory U.S. Marshal doc. mystery solved

Post by rangerider7 »

Pitchy, I found an article by Dale H. Peterson called "Coffeyville, Kansas Revisited". He states he went to check out the 1886 Winchester rifle. It has a serial number of 55710 in 38-56 caliber but has been altered from the time it was ordered. The forearm has been cut shorter and the under side of the barrel had a new forearm slot cut and the original one was filled in. The barrel measures 20" and appears to be the original. The butt stock has also been shortened to about 12 3/8 " and the butt plate is ill fitted. It is said to have belonged to Grat Dalton, a rather short man. He says the Winchester records show the rifle was a 45-65 so some mystery still remains. If I ever get back to Kansas I will take a look myself. :) RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Always interesting history shared in your posts. Thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rangerider7 wrote:EdinCT, thanks for the information on the 86. I have a 1886 Winchester rifle in 38-56 and the info makes a good reference for people to look at. I think the old camera and the angle makes the forearm look short. I'm not sure, it could be a short rifle. Did any of them have a shorter forearm? Thanks again, RR7
I noticed that too... very strange looking to me, but I'm no firearms historian.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rangerider7 wrote:Pitchy, I found an article by Dale H. Peterson called "Coffeyville, Kansas Revisited". He states he went to check out the 1886 Winchester rifle. It has a serial number of 55710 in 38-56 caliber but has been altered from the time it was ordered. The forearm has been cut shorter and the under side of the barrel had a new forearm slot cut and the original one was filled in. The barrel measures 20" and appears to be the original. The butt stock has also been shortened to about 12 3/8 " and the butt plate is ill fitted. It is said to have belonged to Grat Dalton, a rather short man. He says the Winchester records show the rifle was a 45-65 so some mystery still remains. If I ever get back to Kansas I will take a look myself. :) RR7
A custom made gun 8)
Thanks bro, very interesting stuff. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Those are some good pics and a great history lesson. Yur right Sixgun about how we have made the villan out to be a hero. I believe the town folks handled things right that day. 21 dead in a small town like that would have had a mighty bad effect, but they were probably more able to bounce back than we are these days.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Birdman wrote: 21 dead in a small town

I heard right after those 21 people were killed that congress tried to pass some kind of a "Winchester Assault Rifle Ban". :D -------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

The 1886 rifl looks like it might be a takedown version? hence maybe there was another barrel assembly left behind somehere?
And being it was a 45-64, maybe the 38-56 ammo was more readily available at the time?
just a thought. I the rifle is a TD, maybe need to check numbers to see if they match.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Very nice post. Some of you probably know about the Dalton Gang Museum in Meade, Kansas. It was a home owned by a sister and her husband where the gang would sometimes hide at when things got a little hot. They dug a tunnel from the house to the barn, and that is part of the museum. I have never heard whether the brother-in-law was pleased or not about the situation.

My platoon in Basic/AIT had a fellow from Kingfisher, OK named Bobby Dalton. I once asked about the Dalton Gang, and he didn't even know who they were. Apparently, the rest of the family did not want any more to do with them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:A post of substance! :D Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time for the pics and write-up.

As to the handcuffs on the dead dudes.....I guess it was an easy way to keep their hands in the front and together----------------better for picture taking. :D Tying them up would require knots and untying, or if cutting the rope with a knife, (after picture taking) possibly inflicting a cut on their wrist which could lead to a nasty infection. :D

Its really something how history makes criminals like those Dalton guys, Butch Cassidy, Billy the Kid, Bonny & Clyde, etc look like.....well........almost like "good guys" or people who were caught up in bad times, when in reality they were nothing but a bunch of dirt bag murderers who deserved their demise.-----------------Sixgun
at the LE Agency that i serve it's procedure to handcuff the decease B-G(s) until the scene is secure...did you notice the entry wounds on some of those gang members...bad day for the gang...good day for America... :)