Henry .22 lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Henry .22 lever

Post by kooz »

I am thinking about getting a standard Henry .22 lever for my daughter. Does any one here have one of these? if so, what do you think of them ? thanks
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

kooz,

I got an H001L in late 2003. I have run at 5,500 rounds through it, and it is a pleasure to shoot. Its action is smooth, and working the lever is sooooooooooo easy. My problem with the rifle is ME. The Henry shoots where I point it, and I need to work on my trigger/ breathing technique. I just get carried away, whenever I get the chance to shoot, because it is a treat for me. Here is mine:

I do not regret spending my money on that gun, and I would buy another one. Great rifle, and a great company, and the rifles are made in Brooklyn, New York!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I don't have one yet, but am going to get one. A buddy has the same one as Hagler, carbine with the big ring, that I have shot and it is indeed a pleasure. Smooth as glass with really pretty wood, and the workmanship is top calibre. Amazing they can turn out a product like it for the money.
Reading about the family oriented US company is great too, with all parts of their guns made in the USA.
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've had one for several years. They are great little 22s. My only complaint is the plastic barrel bands/front sight. Metal ones are available though.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

TedH wrote:I've had one for several years. They are great little 22s. My only complaint is the plastic barrel bands/front sight. Metal ones are available though.
My thoughts exactly. Mine is a very smooth little levergun. Can't beat the price.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

The Sportsman's warehouse here has them for $219, that seems pretty cheap for a good rifle, I guess I should pick one up.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

I paid $200 for mine used. However, is was used only in that it was previously owned. :wink:

$219 for a NIB version grab it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had an H001T Octagon and it was an oustanding "value". It does not have the plastic parts like the "Golden Boy", a Wiliams FP-GR easily attaches to the grooved reciever, never had any functioning problems, it was as accurate as any Marlin I own and it's American made.

I only parted with it because I prefer Marlin's.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Kooz-
Where are you? Best I have seen is $249.00 and think that is a great price for the rifle, I'd go get it!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Like everyone else has stated, it's an excellent value for a 22lr lever.

Not only are they smooth, but I've gotten excellent accuracy out of mine. It is just as accurate as both my 9422 and 39a.

I cut the stock down on mine for my daughter as she's a smaller fry than I am, and she loves it. It actually fits me pretty good too.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I am in Aurora Co. just out side of Denver
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I liked what I saw, but the triggers have always been pretty rough..but not as rough as the 9422mag I got that was mucho mas dinero.....I've just about decided that a Marlin is the way to go.....find a beat to heck one and it's still gonna be a shooter and not be too much, then clear her up proper :wink:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kooz wrote:The Sportsman's warehouse here has them for $219, that seems pretty cheap for a good rifle, I guess I should pick one up.
What are you standing around for?!? GO GET IT! Post some pictures when you do, and brag to us about how much you and your daughter enjoy it!

I purchased one for my son a few years ago. He was 5, and really into the John Wayne movie "True Grit" (still is at 9 now). We were walking through a gun show and saw one with a "large loop". Not as large as a John Wayne/Rifleman example, but large by a 5-year old's standards. He wanted it, and it was about what you are paying for yours, so how could a good father resist? :D
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I beleive they are $220 at Wally-World in West Plains, MO. I thinks it's the "simple" model.

My freind has one, and as far as I can tell it shoots just fine. I just prefer the 9422 though.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:I liked what I saw, but the triggers have always been pretty rough..
Blaine,

How many Henry H001s have you seen with a rough trigger? Were they rough after an initial cleaning? Were they then rough after shooting them?

My trigger has a small amount of creep in it, but it was never rough, or hard, or unacceptable in any way. I figure my trigger pull is in the 2.5-to-3 pound range, without performing a trigger job. Its letoff is always very good, and there are no surprises.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Hagler wrote:
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:I liked what I saw, but the triggers have always been pretty rough..
Blaine,

How many Henry H001s have you seen with a rough trigger? Were they rough after an initial cleaning? Were they then rough after shooting them?

My trigger has a small amount of creep in it, but it was never rough, or hard, or unacceptable in any way. I figure my trigger pull is in the 2.5-to-3 pound range, without performing a trigger job. Its letoff is always very good, and there are no surprises.

Shawn
I've only looked at two....both at the same store and at the same time.....A couple Monday Rifles? I'm more than happy to accept your word that they clean up and shine after a reasonable break in........You know what they say about first impressions, though :oops:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one of the German made rifles, same design but no plastic bits.
It was accurate and very smooth. if I hadn't just bought a Win.9422 I would definitely buy a Henry. (still might) :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Mine is just alright!!!!!! and Great!!!!! :D Mutt............
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I have an H001 that I slotted the plastic barrel band on top to eliminate the built-in front sight blade and used the one tapped hole and original screw to fasten a Marlin front sight base to the barrel. Now I have my choice of front sights, and changed the rear sight to a full buckhorn, which I use like an aperature sight. It never affected the ability of the remainder of the plastic barrel band assembly to support the magazine and do it's job.

I've had this rifle a little over a year, and must have put 3,000 to 4,000 rounds through it. It's so accurate and so much fun to shoot you can't put it down. I have a 39A also that I shoot quite a bit, but here in Michigan in the winter, that little light Henry carbine is my snow/woods rabbit chaser for sure.

de k8bor

dave
de k8bor

Dave
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Kooz-
Did you get one? I snoozed when I saw them for $249 and missed out. I just ordered one and cheapest I could find (called 6 local shops) was $269. Can't wait to get and shoot it.
Jim
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, we expect you BOTH to post pictures now!!! :D
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Picked up the Henry .22 yesterday. It was $229 not $219, anyway it seems real nice. I will post some pics after I get out to shoot it, which will hopfully be today or tomorrow.
fomocofan
Levergunner

Post by fomocofan »

jdad wrote:I had an H001T Octagon and it was an oustanding "value". It does not have the plastic parts like the "Golden Boy", a Wiliams FP-GR easily attaches to the grooved reciever, never had any functioning problems, it was as accurate as any Marlin I own and it's American made.

Plastic parts on a golden boy?

Care to tell me where?
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

fomocofan wrote:
jdad wrote:I had an H001T Octagon and it was an oustanding "value". It does not have the plastic parts like the "Golden Boy", a Wiliams FP-GR easily attaches to the grooved reciever, never had any functioning problems, it was as accurate as any Marlin I own and it's American made.

Plastic parts on a golden boy?

Care to tell me where?
I have a Golden Boy (a sale is pending) and there are no plastic parts on it. I don't think there are plastic parts on the new std. Henry .22, either.
fomocofan
Levergunner

Post by fomocofan »

I just bought one today... very impressed so far, but I have yet to shoot it.

I too live in Maine (Wells), I would have bought yours, but I didn't see the ad soon enough.

I got mine for $342 new...w/o the extras
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

fomocofan wrote: Plastic parts on a golden boy?

Care to tell me where?
The front "barrel band" is black plastic (on the new Henry)... While I wouldn't "like that" - I wouldn't let it keep me from buying the rifle.

I have an Ithaca model 72 (which is a "precursor") and it's one of my favorite "plinkers". It has a metal barrel band, but was made in West Germany a long time ago.....
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
fomocofan
Levergunner

Post by fomocofan »

NO, The barrel band on the GOLDEN BOY are not plastic, they are metal!
Please don't confuse the golden boy with the much cheaper blued version which does have some plastic on it!

Please see the specs and "finish" section on this link:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h004_goldenboy.cfm

notice it says METAL BARREL BAND
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

bought one several years ago only problem mine wont eject all the time have to put a cleanining rod down barrel to get casing out getting ready to send it back to henry to fix it . very accurate and smooth great for the kids and me to plink with