Sellier and Bellow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Sellier and Bellow

Post by 93marshooter »

I took my new Savage 99F .243 for a test run. Sellier and Bellot rounds would not extract. I had to tap them out with a dowel. Regular Winchester superX 100 gr extracted without problem. I guess I'll stick to the Winchester.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sellier and Bellow

Post by sore shoulder »

Interesting. The only S&B ammo I've bought was 3" 12ga and it wouldn't cycle through a 870 magnum nor a Mossy magnum because it was too long.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

S&B is loaded to hot Euro specs. And that's why I don't shoot it in my Rolling Block...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's one of my favorite ammos for .357 Mag and .44 Mag the past couple years, maybe just because I bought a case of each. I'm down to about 75 rounds of each now, so I guess I'll see how the brass reloads before long.

Performance wise, it has been as accurate as any of the other brands, and very reliable in function. Fired in Marlin 1894's, Rossi 92's, and Ruger revolvers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's one of my faves also, but mostly in military ball ammo of various calibers.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Here in Scandinavia there have been some problems with high pressures from S&B training ammo. Some rifles have been damaged and a lot of bolts have stuck that hard, that they have to be hit with a mallet to open again. In fact the brand has got a bad reputation for bad quality.

Here is a forum thread from Sweden on the issue - I have used Google to translate it. Google Translate is not quite reliable and there are some really confusing mistakes there. Some help: tomhylsa - empty brass, övningsammunition- training ammo, älgbanan - the moose range, running moose target, core - false translation for cartridge. http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... r%2Bbellot

BTW, we often refer to this brand as Celery and Bacon.

Ppete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

In the distant past I had a 222 blow a primer pocket!

I have often wondered what their 22mag ammo is like!

Their Hornet ammo years ago was good.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Odd....

I've shot S&B for the last fifteen years with few issues.

7mm Mauser, .303, 8mm Mauser, 9mm, .45, .40, .357, 7.62X39mm and 7.62 NATO, some random 5.56mm and 12 gauge.

Never had issues with it except for one box of 158 grain +P .357 which would stick in the cylinder, back in 2003.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used it a little bit. Their .243 seems to kick more than the Remington or Federal ammunition. PillHer can tell the difference and told me to stop getting it. She said the S&B hurt her shoulder when she used it in her Rossi Trifecta.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Shatterhand wrote:Here in Scandinavia there have been some problems with high pressures from S&B training ammo. Some rifles have been damaged and a lot of bolts have stuck that hard, that they have to be hit with a mallet to open again. In fact the brand has got a bad reputation for bad quality.

Here is a forum thread from Sweden on the issue - I have used Google to translate it. Google Translate is not quite reliable and there are some really confusing mistakes there. Some help: tomhylsa - empty brass, övningsammunition- training ammo, älgbanan - the moose range, running moose target, core - false translation for cartridge. http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... r%2Bbellot

BTW, we often refer to this brand as Celery and Bacon.

Ppete
Good information, thanks Pete. And good to see you're still around. Been years and years but I remember you sharing the story about your screen name.

Celery and Bacon, haha. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only used Sellier &Bellot ammo for European chamberings, as found in a 16/16/7x57R drilling and a 6.5x54 1903 M-S Carbine I once had - but didn't have any probs with those.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've shot a few cases of S&B 9mm Parabellum and 9mm Makarov over
the years. No problems.

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have used their .22 Hornet with no problems in my CZ and I like their shotgun ammo, I have used 12Ga & 20GA S&B shells for years.

Celery and Bacon I like that... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Have used their 357 and 45 acp without any problems. It does appear to be more smokey than some other brands.
How about "Schnitzel & Baloney"? :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have some S&B .303 British that I've shot in my Lee Enfield No 4 MkIs. Seems ok to me, I've only reloaded the brass once so far. Seems like decent stuff.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I chronoed some 9mm 115gr S&B out of a 8.25" Contender at 1330fps, out of a P95 it didn't kick any more than WW ammo. Also shot some S&B 40S&W 180's out of a P94 and seemed really mild. Box says there listed at 980fps.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!