AR-15's just can't tolerate 'dirty' conditions...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

AR-15's just can't tolerate 'dirty' conditions...

Post by AJMD429 »

Colt AR-15 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwoZ6SS_pY

Did better than I thought it would with the first tests, though...

Guy tested the 'AK' as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnTdQ0_ejJE

Anyone here want to duplicate these tests with their favorite levergun...!!! :shock:

It would be interesting to see a Mini-14, Garand, or M-1A in these tests.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: AR-15's just can't tolerate 'dirty' conditions...

Post by nemhed »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGih7eWI3E

AR-15 VS AK-47, Solved Once and For All!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've had AK's and AR's and spent a lot of time with an M4 lately. I'll take a good AR over an AK any day.

I kicked gravel inside my M4 accidentally, didn't know it, fired it, it crushed the small gravel up and kept going.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If one were to compare the m16 (no suffix, the original critter) to the AK47 of the same era, the AK would be the hands down winner in reliability and usability. Now compare the current m16/m4 against the same AK, and it'd be a much closer horse race, with the m16/m4 taking a slight lead do to it's better accuracy. Still, both designs are getting long in the tooth (although the AK47 was updated a bit when they came up with AK74).

It's time to look for a replacement for the m16/m4 platform. But as usual, the bean counters are likely trying to kill any such idea. One of the ideas to pop up from time to time is caseless ammo. A weapon firing caseless ammo would have fewer holes in it, and would likely be less effected by dirt, sand, rocks, etc. Frankly, I'm amazed we haven't had a successful caseless rifle/carbine yet. I find it hard to believe that the problems encountered can't/haven't been overcome.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've seen a lot of these tests and comparisons and while they can be fairly done I don't know as they really give any bankable results. Every weapon and condition is unique.
There is no question that the AR/M16/M4 is vastly improved over it's earlier versions. It is very accurate and reliable and a good choice for our military.
That being said, for an individual with no logistical support, the AK makes up a lot of ground in spite of it's "inferrior" qualities. Having to operate in 24/7 exposure to elements, possibly being cached in questionable enviornments for long periods with no access to spare parts or a particular "flavor" of magazines, it is the most proven performer.
If I were fighting with support or wanted a semi-auto for hunting or competition I'd choose an AR. But if I had to grab it and head out the door to survive the best I could from that point on, I'd take the AK every time. My 02
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I like an AR 15 as a tool. It's not my first choice of things to shoot for fun, but it was designed for a specific purpose, and the newer versions fill that purpose very well. An AK is reliable, but I hate them. I don't like the way they look or feel. I can never get comfortable shooting one. I would take a good SKS over the AK. Just my personal preference. I don't know about the inherent reliability characteristics of the SKS overall, but mine has never given me one bit of trouble. What I would really like to have is one of the SKS paratrooper models that accepts AK magazines
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jeepnik wrote:
It's time to look for a replacement for the m16/m4 platform. But as usual, the bean counters are likely trying to kill any such idea. .

FN SCAR, Bushmaster ACR ---- qualified replacements are out there and supposedly with .gov FCN numbers too for the "sneaky Pete" type units

--- 45 years of the M-16 , and almost 20 years of the M4 variant will take a while to supplant though --- so many spares in inventory - and still a few gov contracts for M-4's not yet done yet

I cant think of any rifle with the M-16 families lifespan in service--- the Springfield bolt rifle maybe, but the Garand lasted 20 years and its successor the '14 another 10-12 years -those rifles are legendary --- yet the lowly M-16/M-4 just keeps going and going
----- Doug
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

nemhed wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGih7eWI3E

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Love that comparison chart hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

nemhed wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGih7eWI3E

:lol: "The AK will not be stopped by a ham sandwich."
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.