250 gr in a 92 Winchester feeding issues, and load data.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

250 gr in a 92 Winchester feeding issues, and load data.

Post by John Y Cannuck »

I'm not going into this pretending to be some sort of hand loading guru. Anyone who thinks he is is looking for trouble IMO.

However, I thought I'd share a few things I've picked up over time with the new reloaders here, and bounce some ideas off the old pros while I'm at it.

The issue for this thread is how to fix an issue where the assembled load is too long for the rifle in question.

This could be a feeding issue, where the cartridge hangs up because of it's length, or, it could be that the bullet hits the lands.

The are a few things you can do.

Dealing with either cast, or jacketed bullets, you can simply seat the bullet deeper, and if you need to crimp, use a collet device like the Lee Factory crimp die to position the crimp.

However, there are those of us who use tubular magazine rifles that need a substantial crimp to stop the bullets being shoved into the case by the combined forces of the tube magazine spring, and recoil. Add to that the typical thin brass of older cartridges, and it's a serious issue. Some rifles however, like the model '94 Winchester will feed a case even if the bullet is shoved completely inside. But I digress.

Before we get into this discussion, it needs to be said that the alterations we will be performing will absolutely without a doubt RAISE PRESSURE, it could even raise pressure to DANGEROUS levels depending on what you are working with.
WHY?
Three things.
1, you are using a bullet longer than usual that means it is most likely heavier. (not always, depending on bullet shape) This increase in mass means that a given powder charge has to work harder to get it moving.

2 You are using a bullet that is longer, that may (again not always, depending on bullet shape in this case) mean that it has a longer bearing length. Bearing length being that portion of the bullet than rides on the barrel as the bullet is pushed through the bore. Increasing bearing length, again, makes it harder for the powder gasses to move the bullet and raises pressure.

3. Using a heavier bullet means that the extra mass has to be located either outside or inside the case, or a portion of each. If it is outside, it either lengthens the bullet, or fattens it's profile more towards the round nose side of things. This can play havoc with the distance to the lands, even jam into them. If the mass is inside the case, it reduces powder capacity. Reduced powder capacity, depending on the powder used, and other variables can raise pressures substantially. You need to rework your loads from a safe level.

In addition to the three above, it should be stated that some new bullets are made of or jacketed with materials other than gilding metal (eg: copper). Most of these bullet materials raise pressure at least to some degree by their increased friction with the barrel. Lead bullets however being much easier to push tend to reduce pressure for a given bullet weight and charge, this also can result in a lead bullet flying at a faster speed than a jacketed bullet of the same weight for a given charge. (The word "Can" is in bold, because other variables are at play here. Cast bullets can be very hard indeed, some use gas checks, some do not, hard lead may not seal the barrel, depending on bullet fit to bore, soft lead may 'bump up' and seal the bore, or not, depending on the powder used, either hard or soft can lead the bore depending on other variables to many to get in to here)

Ok, so what I'm working with today is a model '92 Winchester with a cartridge that will not feed due to it's length.
As I previously mentioned, I could just seat the bullet deeper, and that will work, except for the possibility of bullets being pushed back into the case. Even crimping into the lead above the crimp groove is not successful in this case. (tried it).
Using a Lee Factory crimp die to crimp doesn't work here either, as the die is based on crimping the case at the case mouth by known case lengths. It results in a crimp where there is no groove, and with the weak cases the 44-40 has, it slips.

So, we move to the next step. Case modification.

Here we have a pic of three 44-40 assembled cartridges (dummy rounds)

The cartridge on the left is one with the traditional 44-40 200 grain cast bullet.

The one next to it is the new 250 grain bullet seated in the un-altered case. Note how much longer it is than the traditional bullet. Just long enough to tie up either a '92 Winchester, or probably a 94 Marlin.

The right cartridge is the completed mockup. with the case trimmed to a shorter length enabling a crimp into the crimp groove and a strong hold on the bullet.

Figuring out how much to trim is easy. Simply take the length of the too long cartridge, and subtract the length of the max OAL given in your handloading manual (Yes, you should get one of those)
Alternatively you can measure the length of the cartridge that does feed and use that.
Take the resulting measurement and subtract that from the trim to length given in your manual. (alternately you could subtract it from the length of a once fired case)
You now have the length of the "new" case you are about to create.

You can now trim the case to that length. I just trimmed a bit measured, and trimmed a bit more, going slow and careful, until I had the right length. There are other ways to get it right, but that's what I did. I wasted one case doing this going a bit too far.
I locked in the length on my RCBS case trimmer I then assembled and measured a few dummy rounds and cycled them through my 1892 to check feeding, (perfect!) and proceeded to trim 50 cases for development work on the load.

Crimp? How the heck do you crimp a case that is shorter than it's supposed to be?

In this case, the regular taper crimp on the seating die was sufficient. Just required a substantial adjustment.
Last edited by John Y Cannuck on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Re: How to make a 250 grain bullet in a 92 Winchester feed.

Post by John Y Cannuck »

I have developed loads for this. Of course they are not found in load manuals. So I'm asking if you want to see them, and if the mods will allow it, with lots of warnings.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Interesting post.

I have isues with the 250 gr Lyman/Keith bullets in 44 mag in the 92 action. The action can be modified to allow slightly longer cartridges, which is what I plan to do, but its far down my list at the moment. The stop on the carrier (lifter) can be cut back a bit to allow the cartridge to come farther back before raising, and possibly the bottom/front of the ejector may need some attention as well. The carrier may need relieved on its front section to allow longer/fatter bullets to lay slightly lower to allow them to feed into the chamber also (they hit the top inside of the chamber and hung up before the cartridge came out of the guides and allowed it to come up in line and feed). One of the members here did that modification sucessfully.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A very interesting post, John Y. If you have settled on using the long bullet for years to come I believe your shortening the case strategy is the best way, as it lets you apply a proper crimp with any sort of powder load you'll be using.

Being somewhat "cheap" I have occasionally found a "deal too good to pass up" and so have ended up with bullets of the proper weight and diameter but having no crimp groove, or a mis-placed crimp groove. Pertinent to this discussion: a box of plated .429 bullets that shot through the Rossi 44-40 and a box of 180 grain .400 bullets that are built for the 40 S&W that I shot through the 38-40. Not wanting to permanently alter cases for bullets I wasn't going to use forever I used a little different strategy: picked a powder (IMR 4198 in this case) that gave a slightly compressed load at the proper length and then the crimp strength was not vital for keeping the bullet from slipping deeper. Nowdays I'd probably use RL7 (or RL10x if I wanted a little less velocity) for this application as I have got fond of the way it goes easier through my powder measure than 4198.

Malamute's strategy of altering the action to allow a longer cartridge sounds interesting. Did somebody make a post on that, Malamute? If so I must have missed it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've asked about it in the past, didn't get any firsthand info, other than the part about making a groove in the front end of the carrier for heavy (fatter nosed) bullets from one of our guys here. Elmer Keith wrote of it being done back in the 50's on converted 92's. I've heard of it from somewhere else also I beleive, just no firsthand "this is exactly what to do" type info. I think i've got it figured out though, just need to take time to do it. The Keith bullets work fine in 44 spl cases, but thats not the point, I want to be able to use the same loads in both pistol and carbine, and that's one of my favorite loads/bullets.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

Malamute

When I got to building this rifle, I had to modify those same parts to feed the 44-40.

You see this rifle is a conglomeration of parts. When I first traded an old BP shotgun for it many years ago, it was a barreled action, with a lot of action pitting, and a well worn 38-40 barrel. The action was missing many pieces. Including the entire bolt assy. So I pretty much had just the receiver to work with.
Over time I acquired parts from various sources and shot that worn out 38-40 barrel for a bit. But I wanted to go 44-40, and when a model 94 barrel came available from a freind who at that time ran a gun shop on Baffin Island (still in the white) I bought that and fitted it up. I couldn't believe my luck when not only did the index marks line up, but it headspaced!
Parts of this rifle came from the Canadian east coast, the Canadian North, The US South, and the US west.

Anyway, the Ejector and Lifter were Ebay acquisitions, and although they were supposed to be 44WCF parts, they both needed considerable filing before they would feed even standard cartridges.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

On Kieth style bullets I have still got issues. The meplat is too large to feed on my rifle (I'd love to use them if I could). It hangs up on the chamber, so I use a bullet with a more rounded profile.

I must look into deepening that groove as you suggested.
Last edited by John Y Cannuck on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

earlmck

I've also used the compressed load strategy, and it works fine. But I love to play with loads, and I must have different stuff to try. i find the compressed load route too limiting. It's the reason I am playing with 250 grain cast as well. Limited bullet availability.

There is another trick I've used as well.

My rifle has a tight chamber, It doesn't like 44mag sized .430 bullets, and will barely chamber .429's. So for a bit I was restrictedto the few .427's out there.

What I found is that I can lube the jacketted .430 bullets with case lube and run them through a Lee .427 sizing die (cheap) they grow back to around .4285 after a bit, but they feed very nice indeed. Looking at the newly sized bullet, you would never know anything had been done.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

"The data shown was developed independently of any commercial laboratory and is not derived from any manual. The data is provided for information only. The author and this site are not responsible for any typographical errors nor are we responsible for any errors in loading made by anyone attempting to duplicate loads using this data."
Further, all these loads were developed at very cold temps compared to most of the USA. They may have substantially higher pressures in summer.

A few comments first, the loads below include some of my personal work, not in any manual I have ever seen. These I developed a few years ago, over an extended period of heavy research, head scratchin', and shooting from very low levels to work them up.

Note also that these were again in SHORT 44-40 cases and fired in a Model 92 Winchester (Very strong action) I expect there would be no issue using the loads in standard length cases, except they would tie up the feed mechanism of my '92. See Post #1 for details. Lee tumble lube used again.

For the most part, these are not safe in handguns and rifles of lesser strength. If you don't know, don't use them.

For each load listed I fired a number of work up rounds. A few at each charge weight change, before settling in to the test load for that powder. If there had been an indication of pressure during work up, I would not have done the test, and I'd be pulling bullets.

Please note that the loads developed in this thread are loads designed for CAST bullets, Jacketed bullets will have higher pressures, possibly dangerously so.

Mold used: LYMAN 429667BV

First range session
Mild day, for January. Plus 2, no wind at the range, and nobody else there to bug me.

44-40 250 grain cast. Cut down Win cases for feeding purposes. Win pistol primers. Lube used throughout was Lee tumble lube.

Feeding was flawless throughout the test. Test range is 50 yards, peep sighted 92 Winchester.

Bullseye 5.5 grains

Bore was spotless after the string, (Bullseye? ) but the group at 9" really sucked.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

10 grains HS6

A bit of unburnt powder in the bore, no sign of leading.

1.5" 10 shot group YEAH! But slower than I want, more development needed here.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

20 grains 4227

A bit dirty, no lead, 7" group.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

18 gr 2400

No lead, a bit of unburnt powder in bore
6" group

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX

8.5 gr Unique

1.75" group
Fairly clean, no lead

More development needed with this one to, nice group. but more speed wanted.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. Overall, no pressure sign was exhibited by anything, the feel of the loads was that they were all fairly mild.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Second range session:

A colder day today, -10 at the range, with a light cross wind.

A few comments first, the loads below include some of my personal work, not in any manual I have ever seen. These I developed a few years ago, over an extended period of heavy research, head scratchin', and shooting from very low levels to work them up.

Note also that these were again in SHORT 44-40 cases and fired in a Model 92 Winchester (Very strong action) I expect there would be no issue using the loads in standard length cases, except they would tie up the feed mechanism of my '92. See Post #1 for details. Lee tumble lube used again.

For the most part, these are not safe in handguns and rifles of lesser strength. If you don't know, don't use them.

For each load listed I fired a number of work up rounds. A few at each charge weight change, before settling in to the test load for that powder. If there had been an indication of pressure during work up, I would not have done the test, and I'd be pulling bullets.

Please note that the loads developed in this thread are loads designed for CAST bullets, Jacketed bullets will have higher pressures, possibly dangerously so.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
I'll start right off with one of my work ups.

Reloader 7 22 grains.
250 grain Cast bullet
CCI 350 (Mag) primer

This load was pleasant to shoot, and gave a 2.5" group @ fifty yards. Barrel clean. Low and slightly left.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

44-40 250 grain cast bullet
CCI 350 primer
9.5 Grains of Unique

Only one shot hit the danged paper, High and left. (Forgot my scope, and camera) didn't find that out until I was changing targets. So no group size.
Bore clean.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

44-40 250 Grain Cast
19 grains 4759
CCI 350 primer

1497???
1489??

Ok, This one I will have to re-shoot. I suspect that each charge needs to be weighed with this powder. I dropped them using a Redding micrometer powder measure as I did all the rest, but I recall that the loads did not meter well.

3" group, clean bore. Low and center.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

44-40 250 grain Cast bullet
11 grains of HS6

Clean bore 3" group, a bit low

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here's another one of my old home brewed loads.

44-40 250 grain cast
CCI 350 primer
9 grains 700X

This load seems to have a sharp recoil, and primers condition is different from the other loads, it is somewhat flattened, indicating that this is near Max.
4" group, clean bore. A bit right of Bull.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Now you just can't go shooting without a little fun, so I loaded up some of the tiny bit of Black powder I have.

All that would fit tightly compressed in these shortened cases is 33.5 Grains (BY VOLUME!)

44-40 250 grain cast bullet
33.5 Grains (Volume) Compressed black powder Goex FFG
CCI 350 primer

Had to wait for the smoke to clear from each shot to check the chronograph. Bore very dirty. (That's why I left it to last)

3" group low and left.

On the return home after this session I investigated the light firing pin strikes I was getting on occasion and found the broken firing pin you guys helped me with.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Third Range session

Danged cold today, -15 with a strong cross wind.

A few comments again, the loads below include some of my personal work, not in any manual I have ever seen. These I developed a few years ago, over an extended period of heavy research, head scratchin', and shooting from very low levels to work them up.

Note also that these were again in SHORT 44-40 cases and fired in a Model 92 Winchester (Very strong action) I expect there would be no issue using the loads in standard length cases, except they would tie up the feed mechanism of my '92. See Post #1 for details.

44-40 short 250 grain cast bullet Hogdon bullet lube
8.5gr 700X

Large group off paper to the left??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

18.5gr 4759

7" group right

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

9.0gr Unique

4" group a bit low. Unique is promising in it's consistency.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

9.0 gr Green Dot

This stuff looked fine until I went down range. Not a mark on the paper, and the backing paper was too shot up to see a group anywhere at this point. I will need to repeat this one. The velocities were consistent.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

19 gr AA5744

(&*&*&&*(!!!! I broke my ejector and jammed the rifle, Empty thankfully.

4" three shot group Need to redo this as well, when I find an ejector!

The bolt in this rifle, although it's tight headspace wise, is corroded at the bolt face, probably from black powder usage many years ago, it's a black powder bolt, in a more modern receiver. I may have to hunt up a bolt.
Last edited by John Y Cannuck on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Re: 250 gr in a 92 Winchester feeding issues, and load data.

Post by John Y Cannuck »

I was a bit ticked off at the large group sizes I was seeing, and got to wondering if it was the blurry front sight that my old eyes were seeing.

Hmmmm. I am a dummy, I had the rear peep removed for hunting, and did not put it back in for any of the previous range sessions. :oops:

Somebody smack me in the head please! :oops: :oops:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

John Y Cannuck wrote:What I found is that I can lube the jacketted .430 bullets with case lube and run them through a Lee .427 sizing die (cheap) they grow back to around .4285 after a bit, but they feed very nice indeed. Looking at the newly sized bullet, you would never know anything had been done.
That's a good trick -- I'll file that away in the memory bank in case of need. My Rossi has a standard 44-40 chamber but the .429 barrel, I had trouble chambering with my first batch of cases (Magtech) but Star cases allow me to use a .430" bullet, fortunately. Sounds like your rifle may be similar.

You're right about the compressed load strategy being somewhat limiting as to what you can load. I can make some powder charge adjustments with the addition of filler (I use the fine-ground plastic intended as steel shot buffer) but like you said, for long-term flexibility shortening the case is the way to go.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Let me offer a possible alternative fix to this problem, which will eliminate the dangers of high pressure, the need to shorten cases & retain crimping in the desired crimp groove. There is a little thing I refer to as a "backstop" which is integral with the cartridge carrier or lifter. Another Canadian told me about this several years ago here on this site. He's using a Moroku '92 in .45 Colt, BTW. What he did to enable him to feed 325GRSWC-bulleted cartridges thru his '92 was to dis-assemble the rifle, & grind back that backstop enough to allow the cartridge to clearly come up in line with the bore when he worked the lever. Problem solved. I've done the same thing on my Rossi LSI PUMA in .45 Colt so I can run 310GR ProShootPro, (Leadheads) cast bullets thru my rifle. Works like a charm. This could be a viable option for some of you. jd45
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

jd45 wrote:Let me offer a possible alternative fix to this problem, which will eliminate the dangers of high pressure, the need to shorten cases & retain crimping in the desired crimp groove. There is a little thing I refer to as a "backstop" which is integral with the cartridge carrier or lifter. Another Canadian told me about this several years ago here on this site. He's using a Moroku '92 in .45 Colt, BTW. What he did to enable him to feed 325GRSWC-bulleted cartridges thru his '92 was to dis-assemble the rifle, & grind back that backstop enough to allow the cartridge to clearly come up in line with the bore when he worked the lever. Problem solved. I've done the same thing on my Rossi LSI PUMA in .45 Colt so I can run 310GR ProShootPro, (Leadheads) cast bullets thru my rifle. Works like a charm. This could be a viable option for some of you. jd45
It may well have been me, as I've given that advice before.
In this particular instance however, the stop on the cartridge lifter has already been filed back as much as I dare. But there may be a lifter out there that will accommodate more than mine. and the various copies of the 1892 could be much different. As I stated previously, parts for this rifle came from all over the place.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

John Y Cannuck wrote:I was a bit ticked off at the large group sizes I was seeing, and got to wondering if it was the blurry front sight that my old eyes were seeing.

Hmmmm. I am a dummy, I had the rear peep removed for hunting, and did not put it back in for any of the previous range sessions. :oops:

Im not gonna smack you, I at times have done worse! I would say cold temps had a little
to do with the groups, Very intresting report & a job well done on saving a old Winchester

ollogger
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

John, I'm pretty sure it was another guy from north of the border. He dropped off several years ago & we haven't heard from him since, altho people had been asking why we hadn't heard from him. I'm gonna go check the members list & see if he might be still listed. I remember you, tho. jd45
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

ollogger wrote:
John Y Cannuck wrote:I was a bit ticked off at the large group sizes I was seeing, and got to wondering if it was the blurry front sight that my old eyes were seeing.

Im not gonna smack you, I at times have done worse! I would say cold temps had a little
to do with the groups, Very intresting report & a job well done on saving a old Winchester

ollogger
I just figured there were probably other guys like me that would like to have had data for more powders than are listed right now.
Green dot for example was very consistent, and I'm at a loss as to why they don't publish loads for it.