Ballistol anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Ballistol anyone?

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have seen this stuff all my life, yet never tried it. My Dad had recently ordered some and gave me a couple of cans to try. Reading the label it seems it will cure what ails anything. Any opinions or experiences, good or bad?

Kevin
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ballistol anyone?

Post by perry owens »

Great stuff. I use it neat on boots and other leather ware. In our damp winters guns rust if you just stare at them too hard but Ballistol protects the metalwork well and it doesn't seem to matter if you get it on the wood.
Diluted with water - "moose milk" - it is good for cleaning black powder guns, also makes a good coolant for turning and drilling.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

EXCELLENT PRODUCT...!!!!!!!
It was originally developed to be used as a single treatment for all requirements in the German military prior to WWI. Cleaning, lubricating, protecting.. Metal, leather, wood. Used from 1095 through 1945. (Thanks Wikipedia)
My own experience has been mostly limited to my Blackpowder rifles and it's the PERFECT product for a wide variety of uses in that application.
It does have a "Unique" aroma that puts some folks off however. :wink:
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

When I finish shooting my revolvers I spray them down with Ballistol,wait 30 minutes and then using a nylon brush on the forcing cone area , cylinder and bore I clean the revolver.All I use anymore is Ballistol. Great stuff!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
AlanF
Levergunner

Post by AlanF »

As the previous posts state it is an excellent product and useful in a mirad of applications relating to firearms.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great stuff. I have used it for many years because I shoot so much black powder. The almost magic thing about it is it's ability to make the gun much easier to clean after it has been "seasoned" to Ballistol. I mix it 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water for a cleaning solution for the black. Very little scrubbing needed after 3 or 4 times using the stuff. Supposed to be good for bug bites too!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I started using it when I began playing with blackpowder , because my friend swore by it. I believe it is a mineral based oil.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Have used it exclusively for the past 8 years or so for everything...smokeless and BP. Works great a does not harm wood or case color. I still use Hoppes on major friction points as it seems a little more thick.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a can a while back and seem to like it. I just wish I could find it in an oil can. The stuff I got came in a spray can. I don't care for sprays as I think there's too much waste.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm about out of the batch I bought a few years back. I will replace it! Great with black powder.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Midway carries the larger 16 oz metal oil bottle. Cutting open the lid is frustrating, but it lasts a long time.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Sounds good. I have the spray cans, one small 1.5 oz. and a larger 6 oz. I've got a stainless revolver I'm going to spray and let soak, it needs it.

Thanks, Kevin
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

also works very well at low temps, doesnt get gummy. i use it a lot, have done so for ....well, hate to admit it, but over 30 years!
cable
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Mixed with water it is the best solvent I've found for black powder and Pyrodex fouling,
I also use it to make Dutch Schultz's dry lubed ML patches. http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/ (The best money I ever spent on a ML product.)
The old man knows what he's talking about and, how his method will work with smooth rifles is amazing.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's a great mineral oil based product that mixes well with water to form an emulsion. It's old so you can rest assured there is NO rocket science involved and the claims are a bit over the top. Newer product like Slip 2000 or even Break Free are likely superior for nitro powder gun use, but that doesn't mean Ballistol won't work just fine.

Two things I've noticed: 1) It is a copper solvent and if you swab a bore with it it will give you a green patch the next day or week. 2) It dries to a waxy film after some time.

Both of those characteristics can be considered good, but it's something to know because it might not be what one is after.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jmortimer
Levergunner

Post by jmortimer »

I have used it for the last few years and can recommend it without reservation. I get the 16 ounce size and and put it in a spray bottle. Works on metal, plastic, wood and leather. Ballistol got a big boost from Hickcock 45 You Tube videos.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What is its effect on leather?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jmortimer
Levergunner

Post by jmortimer »

Slight conditioning. It works best on metal and provides some enhancement to other materials. Main point, I suppose, is that it will not hurt anything and will at worst slightly improve other materials. No need to worry about damaging anything. Bottom line, don't get it solely for leather conditioning/cleaning. I use it on my knives and leather knife sheaths. As the original CLP, it is still going strong.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's almost drinkable...

Doesn't hurt any natural product (wood/leather/metal) I've ever put it on.

Some newer stuff might be marginally be better for specific applications, but none of the newer stuff is as versatile.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -Ballistol

Good thread on Ballistol. Despite what the product hoo haa claims, no museum conservators put the stuff on wood or leather on purpose.

I like the product, but not the overblown hype that arisen surrounding it in the US.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What do museum curators put on leather?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Old Savage wrote:What do museum curators put on leather?
dont know about musuems, but leather needs mainly moisturizers, and for every day use, some high end leather makers simply use shaving cream .... it is safe with leather and inexpensive, and you can just keep applying it til the leather rehydrates.
cable
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:What do museum curators put on leather?
The intended use and mission drive what to use, if anything at all. "Do no harm" is the key. If mink oil or Ballistol are called for due to intended use then fine, have at it, but I'd wager that often a water based leather protectant is the more appropriate product.

In my experience oils weaken leather and attract dirt, but other's mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

olyinaz wrote:http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -Ballistol

Good thread on Ballistol. Despite what the product hoo haa claims, no museum conservators put the stuff on wood or leather on purpose.

I like the product, but not the overblown hype that arisen surrounding it in the US.
+1 It's a pretty good product, but the claims made for it are a bit over blown. I have used it successfully on BP firearms. I would NOT use it on leather, and I don't mix it with water......you will get rust. :roll: Tried it on salad........once..... :shock:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Where do you get the stuff? Do you have to order it online?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I got my Ballistol from Midway USA.
So far it has done everything I would expect from a gun protectant.
There are lots of good gun oils out there though. I like Rem oil a bunch.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

OS,
I and the Cowboy Hall of Fame or Western Heritage Center, whatever they call it nowdays, uses a product called Blackrock Leather 'N' Rich. PO Box 549, Pekin IL 61555. It claims to clean, soften and preserve finest finished leather. I have put it on my R. T. Frazier saddle, Shipley chaps and all the old belts and holsters I own.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

765x53 wrote:Mixed with water it is the best solvent I've found for black powder and Pyrodex fouling,
I also use it to make Dutch Schultz's dry lubed ML patches. http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/ (The best money I ever spent on a ML product.)
The old man knows what he's talking about and, how his method will work with smooth rifles is amazing.

Wow! Dutch? That's a name from the past. I bought his system thru an ad in "Muzzle Blasts" over 25 years ago. I think it was the same price back then, and worth every penny.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

M.M. my old room mate in college was from Pekin, IL - not a big place. :)