Spanish Destroyer carbines?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Spanish Destroyer carbines?

Post by awp101 »

Anyone here ever had one? Thoughts?

Local shop had one last time I was in and AFAIK it's the only one I've actually ever handled. I've been doing some reading up on them and am intrigued. Ammo is out there to be had for decent money and it can be reloaded with 9x19 dies.

Is it worth going back to look at again or are they pretty much just an interesting toy?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spanish Destroyer carbines?

Post by Mescalero »

How much was it?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I want to say $250 or $350. I'd say that's high for what it is, but it's simply not something you see around here. I don't recall seeing any at the shows over the past 10 years or so and this particular shop deals heavily with surplus firearms and it's the first one I've seen there that I can recall.

For those that don't know what it is, go here: http://www.9mmlargo.com/destroy/index.htm
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

That seems high to me, but I really haven't priced them in years. I wouldn't buy one as a shooter due to the ammo not being plentiful. Of course I guess that means I should sell all my 22LR's!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

$250 is a deal, $350 is too much. I had one, big fun if you can find some 9mm Largo..

If you get it let me know, I have some Largo ammo.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The scandanavians have a cartridge based on 9mm ( something ) it is necked down to 7mm, they use it on seals.
I could never determine if it was stong enough to handle it.
But I toyed with rebarreling one to that.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Considering the caliber, they're more of a oddity than anything else, something like finding a guy shooting a Webley these days.

They're not overly strong, and didn't need to be, they fall into the Ruger 77/357 category of 'hmmm'.

I might buy one as a collector but not as a shooter. Quality, as on most Spanish guns of that era, can vary widely.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We have a bunch of Largo ammo at the shop. I'd likely buy it if I could see it (handle it) and it had a good magazine. Pitiful aren't I?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie,
Did'nt they use Star largo mags?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

MrMurphy wrote: they fall into the Ruger 77/357 category of 'hmmm'.
That's kind of my thinking. Not as much whomp-um as the .357 but not as much cash either. For some reason the idea of this thing and a scope appeal to me.

Fiocchi (IIRC) still loads for it, there's surplus out there, 9x23 Win cases can be used to roll your own (obviously not loaded to 9x23 Win specs), it takes .355-.356" bullets and it can be loaded using 9x19 dies so there's options. I've handled and owned enough Spanish 1893s to know not to push it when it comes to old Spanish arms.
Mescalero wrote:Hobie,
I don't think they used Star mags, but .38 Super (and I suspect 9mm) 1911 mags can be modified to work. Maybe even some of the Llama 1911 knock off mags as well.

Hobie, your no worse than the rest of us cranks...:lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think so. You can still find them, at least you could.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:
MrMurphy wrote: they fall into the Ruger 77/357 category of 'hmmm'.
That's kind of my thinking. Not as much whomp-um as the .357 but not as much cash either. For some reason the idea of this thing and a scope appeal to me.

Fiocchi (IIRC) still loads for it, there's surplus out there, 9x23 Win cases can be used to roll your own (obviously not loaded to 9x23 Win specs), it takes .355-.356" bullets and it can be loaded using 9x19 dies so there's options. I've handled and owned enough Spanish 1893s to know not to push it when it comes to old Spanish arms.
I don't think they used Star mags, but .38 Super (and I suspect 9mm) 1911 mags can be modified to work. Maybe even some of the Llama 1911 knock off mags as well.

Hobie, your no worse than the rest of us cranks...:lol:
I am thinking some used one kind of magazine and others might have used another kind/make of magazine. Kinda like the KelTec carbines are made with different mag wells to suit the user.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have some of those Star Largo Mags.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks , never heard of one , now I am interested. I usually get sucked into the odd stuff. I have more fun shooting steel plates with the 38 special out of Rossi. This would fall into the same category.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Hobie wrote:We have a bunch of Largo ammo at the shop. I'd likely buy it if I could see it (handle it) and it had a good magazine. Pitiful aren't I?
More so than any of the rest of us? Naaaah.... :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

92&94 wrote:
Hobie wrote:We have a bunch of Largo ammo at the shop. I'd likely buy it if I could see it (handle it) and it had a good magazine. Pitiful aren't I?
More so than any of the rest of us? Naaaah.... :mrgreen:
Thanks.

You know, if anyone gets that, I could arrange to ship that ammo to that person...
Sincerely,

Hobie

mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

I've had one for about 20 years now. Its an interesting little gun. The trigger pull on mine is very light, the front sight is a hard to see inverted V and the finish on mine is beat up. Having said all that, I find it to be a fun gun. Its light, has no kick, and would make a great introductory shooter for a young shooter looking to move up from a .22.

I used to shoot only factory/surplus loads till about 2 years ago. Since I own only Lee reloading equipment, I called them to see which set of dies could I make work to load 9mm Largo? Their reccomendation was .38 Super dies and some other shell holder (I'm at work and I can't remember which caliber they said). That combo makes ammo that will chamber and fire well. Somewhere on line I found loads, one of which was a load with Blue Dot and a 124 grain slug that did 1400 fps out of the rifle. I mainly plink with mine, so I can't offer any comments on accuracy.

I wouldn't pay more than about $200 for one given ammo availability and condition. The mags are specific to the Destroyer only.

When Ruger came out with the .357 bolt gun, the first thing I thought was that it was a modern Destroyer rifle, small, light, and no kick.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting info here regarding the 9mm Largo.

http://9mmlargo.com/cartridge/index.htm
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, this is going to take some serious thought. I called this morning and they still have it but it's tagged $399. They did say they have wiggle room, but not how much.

I have some trading fodder but I'm not sure I want to use it for this. Parts are near unobtainium (certainly extractors from what I'm reading) and I already have 3-4 other "oddball" caliber projects to load for (or just finish before I even get to the loading part). :roll:

OTOH, it's simply not something I see around these parts.

I need to decide if I REALLY want it or am just chasing the new toy high... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I remember seeing them in the Shotgun new back in the 80's. They were cheap, I had money, but just could not ever get excited enough about them to order one. For $400 I'd be looking for another 30/30, 357 or a couple of Handi-rifles to send to Jesse O. to be rebored to 35-30/30 and or 375 Win.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I'm with 3 leg on this one.
Money down a hole.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

3leggedturtle wrote:For $400 I'd be looking for another 30/30, 357 or a couple of Handi-rifles to send to Jesse O. to be rebored to 35-30/30 and or 375 Win.
For 4 bills I'd have the .357, .45-70 Buffalo Classic and maybe .22H barrels ordered and my Handi on the way to Ilion (I think) to be fitted...

Which would still leave me money ahead. OK, I feel the urge for a Destroyer (or at least this particular one) passing.

Whew! Thanks guys! :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Or if you want a real project. Read on another forumn, about a gentleman converting a CZ 22Hornet bolt action into a 30 Carbine.. Of course Ruger could save us all a lot of wishing and thinking by offering a M96 in 22Hornet, 25/20 or 357.

Edited: You could get a Savage bolt in 223, and get extra barrels for it in 7mm TCU and 300 Whisper. Be easier and cheaper. I hate when I start thinking about projects like this.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Or if you want a real project. Read on another forumn, about a gentleman converting a CZ 22Hornet bolt action into a 30 Carbine.
If I had a full machine shop and the time and talent, there's all kinds of projects I'd tackle! :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

One of the many "should have"s, another one they couldn't give away for decades that are now sky high.
Slow is just slow.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I have a Destroyer, one of my favourite rifles for poking around in the woods. Two interesting things happened whilst carrying it. I managed to kill a raccoon at something around 300 yards with it. The coon was just a speck, digging clams on the beach on the other side of a river. I couldn't get closer, so figured I'd take a few shots at it. I set the sight for 300, and the first shot was right in line, but short. I set it to 400, and the next one made a splash right beside Mr. Coon and he started walking. I led him a bit, and the third shot terminated him. The bullets take a long time to get there, but they are really accurate. Even though I had the sight at 400, it was not that far off. I figure 325 tops. Still, I was impressed, that was my longest shot on a coon, ever! (Should mention, coons are like rats here, all over the place even in daylight.) I will tell the other interesting thing tomorrow. :)
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Destroyers replaced Spanish copies of 1892 Winchesters, and fill about the same role. They're not long range artillery, they're short and handy carbines. But a committed shooter can get a hit waaaaaay out there sometimes.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Andrew, I personally wouldn't even give $300 for one unless it was absolutely pristine. I've had two, the last with a rougher bore than the first. They are fun plinkers, but I'd rather burn up Largo ammo through an Astra "potato gun," and those are still out their for mid-$200s.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the education, guys. never heard of them before.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!