Looking for a gun safe....any suggestions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Looking for a gun safe....any suggestions?

Post by shooter »

I'm looking for a safe with at least one hour fire rating, holds 36 guns or more, (I don't have that many, but I've always been told to buy the biggest you can afford), and is priced below $1,500. I've been looking at a Stack-On waterproof/fireproof safe. I can get a 36, 48, or 54 gun safe all with a one hour fire rating, waterproof, and all within a couple hundred dollars of each other. This will be my first safe, and I have no clue as to which brands are better than others, or if there's any difference. I would rather have a combination lock than an electronic keypad, but that's not a deal breaker.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Looking for a gun safe....any suggestions?

Post by slimster »

shooter, I have recently purchased a new safe myself. I have done a lot of research, and have learned much! Unfortunately, I am a painfully slow typist, and it would take me all night to relate just a small portion. Feel free to P.M. me and we can arrange a phone conversation if you would like.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Buying a safe can be a bit overwhelming when you start listening to all the sales promotions. It seems every company offers the best one. Plus there's so many opinions on internal vs. external hinges, manual vs. electronic lock, various theories on fire protection, etc.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

One word of caution. IMHO avoid safes with the multiple "holes" (for barrel retention) versus rows with open ended slots. A friend ignored my advice and got a safe of the size the OP is seeking I with the holes. Big royal PITB to put guns in and take 'em out---especially the further you go back...requiring you to remove many guns to access or re-place the "one" you want, of course. And believe me, even if you have a "system" in mind of placing your most frequently wanted guns up front, you always "need" the gun(s)/holes that are hrd to get to.

Again, IMHO, sacrifice capacity for ease of use! If you need to get a large but slotted one now, and save up for another for later when you start approaching capacity.

Also, most safes have pre drilled holes in back for lagging to walls. Highly suggested you use them (or drill them if they're not there). You'd be amazed what determined "serious" burglars can cart out of your house, as another fried found out a few years back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In my experience, the Stack-On brand is only a bit better than a gun cabinet - just enough to make it into the "gun safe" category.

For your budget, I would recommend any safe made by Cannon - IIRC, the least expensive are available through Sam's Club (Wal-Mart), where I bought my 30-gun size for $699, about 5 years ago ($1100 today, AFAIK).

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I had that opinion about Stack-On safes when I started looking, but after researching a bit, I've decided they have about the same construction as the cheaper Cannons, etc. that you find in my price range. After watching the video that Pokey posted, I may settle for a smaller capacity safe with better security and upgrade later if I need to. I do like the Stack-On storage system. It doesn't have the holes that gak is talking about. All guns look easily accessible in the safe without having to remove a bunch of guns to get to the one you want.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Don't be fooled by Price, it doesn't always dictate Quality. I have a Cannon and a Remington Sportsman. Both made by the same Company somewhere in Utah I think. As fa as "Locks", both of Mine have digital which I like, very simple and fast. One word of caution. If U get one with digital lock be sure and change the combo as soon as U get it Home.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JakeR
Levergunner

Post by JakeR »

I looked at a lot of em and finally bought one from this place.
I really think it is the way to go.

http://sturdysafe.com/
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I really like those Sturdy Safes, and have looked at them before. They are about twice the cost of what I am looking at paying right now, though. I'm all about buying quality, and I am planning on upgrading to a good safe in the future. I am in a little bit of a bind right now and kind of need something sooner rather than later. It will take me a few months to save up the extra $$ to get a higher end safe. I have to get my "gun room" cleaned out to make room for my home office, and I have no other place to put my guns. I honestly had no idea there was such a difference in the quality of safes, or that safes are relatively easy to get into if they are of cheaper construction. For the time being I'm just looking for something that is harder to get into than my bedroom and offers a level of fire protection. My requirements for a keeper have changed considerably since watching the video posted earlier and reading up on the Sturdy Safe website. I really like the way they make their safes.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Another vote for Sturdy. That's who is building my new one. Call them and they will probably give you a quote that is less than their on line pricing. You can also get one without the fire liner and they will sell you the fireliner kit later for a retrofit. They come standard with the Sargent and Greenleaf commercial mechanical dial lock. Basic construction is 7 gauge (3/16") body with 5/16" plate door, and upgradeable for a very reasonable cost. Another option is to contact local safe and locksmiths in your area and they often know where there are used commercial safes that can be had for very reasonable prices (if you're willing to move it yourself)...(and if you have a good strong floor, they are usually very heavy!)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Never had a lick of trouble with Liberty safes and I like their lifetime guarantees.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Believe it or not, I have a Winchester safe.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess it all depends on what you are most interested in protecting your stuff from. It's the old "cover vs. concealment" argument.

If I really want/need/can afford a proper gun safe, it will be a Liberty and probably get built into a masonry wall as well.

But if all you really need is to protect your stuff from prying eyes, casual gropers, and anything but a fully involved housefire, then a locking upright freezer snagged from the local appliance repair shop works dandy...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here's a gun safe made out of a freezer. Freezers have a built in lock in the side of the door. Just strip out the shelves and compressor and you're good to go. Looks weird and knida hoaky but they are fireproof up to over 2500º. We had a discussion on this a couple of years ago.

Not my picture or freezer safe.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gee.. I wonder who built that one? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Sears has a good all steel rifle cabinet for under $150. I rented a HILTI hammer drill and fastened mine to the concrete floor with 3.5 inch concrete anchors and welded chain. I suggest upgrade your house locks with high quality deadbolts and trim back bushes away from entrances. Good exterior illumination cuts down on crime, too.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Old Ironsights wrote:Gee.. I wonder who built that one? :wink:
Love that bead blasted NKJ 92, looks like mine! :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

dont bolt it to an outside wall
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Ironsights wrote:Gee.. I wonder who built that one? :wink:
Is that your's OI. I couldn't remember who's picture it was.

Still a good idea and they work well.
ED
Yer never too old
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a big Champion brand. I have had it for about 5 years. It's gave me no trouble, and it has a top quality dial lock. Personally I would not get an electronic lock, sooner or later the electronics will fail. I know of plenty of stories, not that a dial lock doesn't ever fail but it seems that a good quality one does better in the long run then the electronic ones. I have one friend that purchased a top quality safe with an electronic lock and it failed and it went on for over 6 months before he was able to get in his safe, due to red tape, etc, proof of ownership, etc.

Check the fire rating on the door, whatever you do be sure and bolt it down, and if you can place it or build around it to protect it from attacks from the side, top, and back, you will be better off. On a good safe the door is pretty hardened but the sides top and back are not that heavy of a sheet metal on many of them and assuming one was gone for awhile, the average person that has had any experience in the construction trade had the know how and maybe even the tools to cut a hole out of the safe in a matter of minutes.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My other advice is spend twice as much money as you think you can afford on the best safe you can find, and get the biggest one you have room for or can afford, because they fill up over time.
NRA Life Member, Patron