problems with 357 Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don1911
Levergunner

problems with 357 Rossi 92

Post by don1911 »

I recently bought a Rossi 357 model 92. I really enjoy shooting this rifle more than any other I have ever had. When it feeds properly.

It feeds Remington and Hornady hollow-points fine. That is great because if I keep it, it will be a defensive weapon kept in car trunk. (I had an AR. Didn't care for it. Not as much fun as a lever-gun. Sold it.) However, it does not seem to like anything else except herters brand ammo. It wont feed my reloads. If it is going to be this picky about what ammo it will feed, I will probably need to get rid of it. If I cant have fun shooting it, it is useless to me.

I bought Steve's DVD kit to make it race ready. I am not a gunsmith, However after watching the DVD, I felt like none of the alterations would help with feeding issues. Am I wrong about that? If so please tell me with one(s) would help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what might help or what the problem may be? Is the problem that it is a Rossi? Should I have bought a Cimarron or Marlin? Or should I stay away from handgun calibers? Concern about handgun calibers in rifles caused me to cancel an order on the Rossi 454 casull and instead ordered a Marlin 45-70 lever-gun.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Re: problems with 357 Rossi 92

Post by KiwiKev »

There are a few variables when it comes to reloading. I would assume you have had no problems with tolerances when previously loading 38 special or 357 magnum. What you have been aware of is overall length which could be critical for the 357 magnum. Also sometimes lswc can cause problems. My Rossi has no problems cycling lee cast lswc by does not like the layman lswc.

Cheers

Kevin
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+1 - Classic leverguns, originating in the 1800's, were not designed to feed boolits with sharp shoulders.

They were designed around the ammo of the time - RN boolits or FP boolits with an RN-type ogive.

They only exception would be a vertical magazine levergun, like the Winchester 1895.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I had exactly the same problem with mine. A friend recommended the Lee Factory Crimp Die, I got one and my problem went away never to be seen again. I am using the 125 grain Berry's Plated Bullets.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

+1 to what Jerrry said.

Get a Lee FCD. Mine will feed just about anything, and my favorite is a 180gr 70% meplat WFN hardcast seated to maximum COAL.

Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus... you just need to feed him the right cookies. :wink:

Other research areas to look at:

http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm

Follow the ENTIRE thread (multiple articles). Junior (much missed) presents a great deal of useful info.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I dont have a 357 but Ive got a couple 45s. I can shoot the Kieth type SWCs with little trouble, but there are a few considerations. I can use the 270 Kieth and the keys are that a good clean crimp is important, and working the lever BRISKLY fully forward and back. Slow easy action seems to generate "hitches" in the feeding. I have heard that cutting the stop on the (?) feed lever allows slightly longer cartridges to feed also. Hopefully this is useful info.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Brand new out of the box, mine was "clunky" and had feeding issues. The more I used it, the better it got. Now it actually feeds better than my Marlin which won't feed SWC, but the 92 will. Best advice I can give someone with a new Rossi 92 that is having feeding issues is to keep working it. It'll smooth out.

Heck, I've heard of folks kicking back and watching a movie on tv while working the action to smooth one out.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Willy has the custom fix. Remember when things are new they're sticky, and have burrs. 0.001" can keep a case from feeding, Working the lever thru a session of NCIS can probably find a few thousands of needed motion. Don't load it to do this though.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I followed Steve's DVD to slick up my .45 LSI Puma. While I had it apart, I filed back that little "backstop" at the rear of the cartridge lifter & now my 310GR handloads with a LOT of bullet out of the case, & crimping in the crimp groove, will feed from the tube...no problem. And the other work Steve shows you how to do in the DVD payed off handsomely. Good money spent! jd45
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

Old Ironsights, Junior much missed? I love his website Frugal Outdoorsman, and have read much of his work at Castboolits. He did a great deal of work with the Rossi 92 and the Winchester 94.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

junkwrencher wrote:Old Ironsights, Junior much missed? I love his website Frugal Outdoorsman, and have read much of his work at Castboolits. He did a great deal of work with the Rossi 92 and the Winchester 94.
Yes. I miss his posts.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Dawg
Levergunner

Post by Dawg »

don1911 wrote:
I bought Steve's DVD kit to make it race ready. I am not a gunsmith, However after watching the DVD, I felt like none of the alterations would help with feeding issues. Am I wrong about that?
Yes...the single best modification to improve feeding in a Rossi is replacing the stock ejector spring with the one that Steve recommends and sells.

Also. Blast the action out with brake cleaner, and work the action about 100 times after it has dried. Blast it out really good the second time, then wait for it to dry, or blast it out with compressed air. After that flood the action with a decent oil. work the action a couple hundred times, then lay it on newspapers over night to let the excess oil drain out. Next day, wipe it down really good, get in the action with a cloth and Qtips and clean as much of the excess oil out as you can, and have fun with your new gun.

Just because it will function better after blasting it out and flood lubing it, dont get complacent, change that ejector spring, even if you do nothing else.