Scope advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Scope advice

Post by El Chivo »

With my 22 rifle I do most of my shooting at the indoor range at 50 ft.

I have the Weaver 2.5-7x rimfire scope on there now. But I've always had trouble getting things in focus with it. If I focus on the target, the crosshairs are blurry or double image. If I focus the crosshairs, the target is blurry. This is more noticeable at higher magnification.

Will it help if I switch to an airgun scope with an adjustable objective? I'd like to get both the target and the reticle sharp at 50 ft.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Scope advice

Post by Sixgun »

Not sure on the airgun scope thingy, but several Nikons I have on various .223's and a .308 both have the thing you turn (never was good with terms) that makes the crosshairs nice and crisp for a semi-old guy like myself. In your case Nikon makes a 1-4X that would fit the bill nicely.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

SEMI??? old? Last time we talked you told me dirt was a new invention. :mrgreen:
Sorry Jack just had to do it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Weaver makes a great rimfire scope, with an AO. I have one and it will get down to 15 feet.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-9x32-Classic-R ... P3141.aspx

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

El Chivo,
Focus the scope on the target using the ocular ( eyepiece )
Take a plastic or wood handle screwdriver and LIGHTLY tap the turrent ( where the adj. screws ) are.
Tap them forward or backward LIGHTLY you can damage the scope like this so be careful ,you may get the reticle and the picture to coincide.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

El Chivo wrote:Will it help if I switch to an airgun scope with an adjustable objective?
My guess is that yes, going to a scope that is parallax-adjustable will take care of your problem; it did the trick for me. I use Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire VX-1 and 3-9x33 EFR Ultralight scopess on rimfires and airguns, and while the 2-7x28s are acceptable at closer ranges when kept at low power, the EFR scopes are clearer and more pleasant for me to use at 50 ft regardless of magnification.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Read the manual and get the crosshairs in focus against neutral background. A quick perusal of optics.com should get you some instruction on scope focus and application. They can be a bit elitist, but they will go out of their way to help. I thnk you just need basic set up.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I put this little guy on my old 10/22: Aim Sports 4X32 Compact Mil-Dot Scope with Rings.
Hard to beat at the $30 price point and performs wonderfully on the range. Eye relief is a bit short, but it's great value otherwise.

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You can get that base in blank form and go back with that scope and get two rings on the scope.
Man, it just hurts to see that.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Panzercat wrote:I put this little guy on my old 10/22: Aim Sports 4X32 Compact Mil-Dot Scope with Rings.
Hard to beat at the $30 price point and performs wonderfully on the range. Eye relief is a bit short, but it's great value otherwise.

I got both of those. Scope and stock. Heavy little Effer's. :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

3leggedturtle wrote:I got both of those. Scope and stock. Heavy little Effer's. :)
One of the reasons I gave it up. Hard to justify as a pack rifle when it comes in at the same weight as my 16in 30-30 :roll:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

El Chivo wrote:With my 22 rifle I do most of my shooting at the indoor range at 50 ft.

I have the Weaver 2.5-7x rimfire scope on there now. But I've always had trouble getting things in focus with it. If I focus on the target, the crosshairs are blurry or double image. If I focus the crosshairs, the target is blurry. This is more noticeable at higher magnification.

Will it help if I switch to an airgun scope with an adjustable objective? I'd like to get both the target and the reticle sharp at 50 ft.
For 50 ft definitely get a quality airgun or rimfire scope with adjustable objective. Some centerfire scopes with adjustable objective won't adjust down as close as 50 ft, but a Leupold rimfire will adjust in much closer than 50 ft. You'll see a huge improvement in accuracy. I'd avoid the cheapo Chinese airgun scopes.