Cheap, flimsy,%&(@#$! Allen-head screws... :-(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Cheap, flimsy,%&(@#$! Allen-head screws... :-(

Post by AJMD429 »

Despite several 'complete' sets of 'metric' and 'english' hex wrenches, there seem to always be some scope-base screws or whatnot that are just not any real 'size'.

What do you guys do to deal with this?

I actually got a bunch of my hex 'bits' for 1/4-hex drive handles, and measured them with my micrometer, then arranged them in a plastic tray by size. STILL there are some times that I just can't get anything to fit a screw I have.

I thought about getting ANOTHER set of Brownells hex or Torx screws, and just replacing the ones I can't get wrenches to fit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Cheap, flimsy,%&(@#$! Allen-head screws... :-(

Post by Blaine »

Exactly :evil: WTH happened to regular deep cut heads? That drives me nuts on the motorcycle, too. :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Used to be in the Automotive end of things, and in the old days tools were American made. We tended to measure when manufacturing. Now I get most screws and bits from a local industrial supply hose ( I dont know how long theyll be around) and they sell mostly
'good" manufacturer made to spec stuff. Getting bits and toolls from Snap-on , Mac, or Matco will improve your lot, but the price wont be Wallly's. Ive had better luck lately with torx fasteners but I think the quality is following all else. I have in the past refitted, drilled tapped and custom sized screws and fasteners. The quality of the threads and positioning was better than the commercial for the most part.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

One of the difficulties with the world market. With not only tools, but screws made in just about any possible corner of the world, not just the measurements, but the manner of manufacture makes a difference. It's brought prices down to some degree, but quality? I'm a Farm Equipment mechanic by trade. I work on stuff from everywhere. Many of my tools have custom adjustments for different applications. Allen wrenches filed and ground to fit for example. That of course voids the warranty, but what can you do?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Depending upon the age of the mount and screws, a TORX driver could very be required. Over the years, scope manufactures, automoive parts suppliers, etc., are changing or changed over to TORX. I've found that TORX offer better grip on the wrench.

For those Not-In-The Know 'bout TORX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray Newman wrote:Depending upon the age of the mount and screws, a TORX driver could very be required. Over the years, scope manufactures, automoive parts suppliers, etc., are changing or changed over to TORX.
I've even resorted to using Torx wrenches on Allen screws, and they tend not to damage the poor quality softer screws like a 'loose' Allen (or more likely a too-large screw) does, plus some of my 'came with the leupold' type Torx wrenches are actually tapered, so you can jam them down into crappy Allen screws and get a good bite on them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

AJ take a larger sized hex wrench and file it with a good long file to fit. Put it in a vice and cut one side then the opposite side etc. I guess a bench sander would work too, but I prefer a file for exacting work, and no chance of burning it.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Seems like the last few times I did scope bases and rings I ended up with more bench space covered with all the allen wrench sets and loose wrenches than was being used by the rifle and stand.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last two scopes I mounted I used Leupold mounts. They come with torx screws and the required wrench. I never have figured out if I want to praise them or curse them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

octagon wrote:AJ take a larger sized hex wrench and file it with a good long file to fit. Put it in a vice and cut one side then the opposite side etc. I guess a bench sander would work too, but I prefer a file for exacting work, and no chance of burning it.

Yea Doc. This will work. I had to do that last week. Sometimes when you think you cannot find the right allen screw size, it may be because your tool is rounded off on the edges. I have to grind off an 1/8" or so from time to time. This will give you sharp sides for it to grip. On some of my common allen wrenches, I harden them a little to keep this from happening......but not too hard or they break.-----------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD