30-30 scope recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

30-30 scope recommendations

Post by Treeman72 »

I bought a Mossberg 464 30-30. Thanks to Cabela's, I now have a decent stock of leverevolution and fusion. All of my local stores have been out of ammo for months.

I just ordered some see-thru rings from Kwik-Site, so now I need some advice on a good scope. All of my research says the 464 is capable of excellent accuracy, so with a budget of $250, what's good? Any anecdotes and advice is welcome please. My bolt actions all use Nikon scopes, but I am open to anything.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 30-30 scope recommendations

Post by Old Savage »

2.5x to 4x or a variable in the same category would be my recommendation.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Do NOT utilize a variable.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Putting a scope on a lever action is heresy I tell you.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have a 7-08 model 7 Rem with a 1.5-5x Leupold. Rifle has almost 1,000 rds through it. No problems and very accurate. That would actually be my top end recommendation if you care to spend the $. No problems with any other Leupold Variables with either accuracy or durabilty.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Heresy - I guess some folks just buy their lever actions to carry. :D

"But they're so light and handy." - we ain't wearin' dresses.

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

With the see-thru rings, the scope won't matter. It'll be too awkward to use it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oh, gawd! :shock:

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

no scope ?? uh oh ....
awkward ?? uh oh .....
not variable ?? sheesh, I'm 3 for 3.

My former Navy jet pilot fighter eyes now require a scope so I have a Burris FFII 2-7x35 on my Marlin 444 ...... works just fine for me, and within your budget.

Cheers,

Carl
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

The see through rings are a horrible idea? Kinda liked the idea of iron sights for point blank and the scope zeroed for 125 yards or so. Suppose ideas are good on paper and fail in practice all too often.

Anyone else think the tall see-thru scope mount is a mess?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you cheek weld on the rifle for iron sights, how far off of the stock do you have to lift off of the stock to obtain sight picture?
Think about that for a while.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well YEAH!!!! Where is the thumbs down. ImageSee through rings - why not just see through the scope.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What is wrong with you lately?
I can not believe you put that eye torturing image in this thread.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know I always give you the thumbs up Image

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

mescalero like!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

If ya' need as scope, ya' need a scope (and with these old eyes, I usually do). No shame in putting a scope on a lever gun if you need it and, after all, it is YOUR lever gun.

I also use lower power variables, 1.5-4x or a 2-7x on some of my guns, but can't argue with a compact, fixed 2x or 4x, either. The idea is to keep weight and size, down, for the sake of balance and handling on your lever gun and that's usually plenty in terms of magnification for 30-30 ranges, even with the Hornady loads. .

I don't care, at all, for see through rings, though I understand why some folks use them. Lever guns are usually not stocked, well, in terms of proportions, for using scopes - you have to lift your cheek too far up off the stock with a scope. A see-thru just makes it all that much worse. A small scope mounted as close as possible to the receiver will be much easier to use.

A Leupold VXI or II in 2-7x would be tough to beat and they are roughly in that price range. They are lighter than most similar scopes and nice and fairly compact. Have the VXII 2-7x on a Kimber and love it. Hardly know it's there when carrying the rifle.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Kind of like the looks of the Leupold vx-1 Hog. Its 1.5-4x and is extremely compact. If the rings I put on order are garbage, can always try another set of rings. I would hate to make a 150+ yard shot with 4x, so a 2-7x seems really good too.

Thanks for the advice gents (and ladies?).

Does anyone have experience with Kwik-Site.....are they a decent company?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have 2 1x-4x Leupold scopes. 1 has fine crosshairs, other is thick cross hair. like to find 1 with medium. Also have 2 Burris FFII's with ballisticplex reticles. Can't go wrong with either of them. Keep your eyes open for Weaver K2.5 or K3, they are great little scope too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Treeman72 wrote:Kind of like the looks of the Leupold vx-1 Hog. Its 1.5-4x and is extremely compact. If the rings I put on order are garbage, can always try another set of rings. I would hate to make a 150+ yard shot with 4x, so a 2-7x seems really good too.

You are very welcome and, yes, it is a lady. :)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Treeman72 wrote:Kind of like the looks of the Leupold vx-1 Hog. Its 1.5-4x and is extremely compact. If the rings I put on order are garbage, can always try another set of rings. I would hate to make a 150+ yard shot with 4x, so a 2-7x seems really good too.

The Kwik-Site rings are good enough quality, it's the see-thru part that most people have a problem with. My Dad had a pair of Quik-Sites and a pair of see thru Weavers on two different Marlin Leverguns. He preferred them because of your reasoning (and their design) of being able to use the iron sights with the scope still attached. His early '50s 336SC in 32WS had them with a steel tube Weaver K4 when I inherited it back in 2003. I didn't wait long in removing them and putting a receiver sight on it. But that's me.

I do have scopes on two other leverguns (both Marlins) a straight 4x on a .30-30 and a 1.5-4 on my 444P (neither in see thrus).

Try the see thrus if you want, they have been on the market since at least the mid 1950s. Someone has been buying them for the last 60 or so years.

Also, as for making 150+ yard shots with a 4x scope, I don't think that you would have any problem with that. I rarely crank up any of my variables past 4x on any of my rifles (except prairie dog and crow guns) and have made a lot of shots at 200-250+ yards with 4x and below.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:mescalero like!
J Miller does too .... :mrgreen:

Hey, did you notice I didn't say anything about the OP's idea of putting a carry handle on his lever gun?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I only have two levers with scopes.
Marlin .338 XLR with Leopold 2-7 Vari-X III
Marlin .308MX with Leopold Rifleman 2-7
I have no issue with (quality) variables AT ALL ! :D :D :D
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Interesting comments on a subject I am dealing with myself. I just purchased a '70s era set of Leopuold scope base & rings for $8 from a dealer on gunbroker to mount on my 70s era Marling 336 (but I want to find a more modern scope then a '70s era one 8-} )..............I used to be one of those guys who thought scopes on lever action carbines was foolish. I likened to putting a trailer hitch on a Maseratti. However as time goes by I'd like to say that I have grown wiser and smarter......I'd like to say it but the truth is I've just gotten older and my eyes have deterioated due to age and injury to the point that I need a scope to do what I used to do without a scope. Life has a way of playing cruel jokes to humble you.

Perrsonally I was going to start by looking to see what kind of deal could be had for a new Weaver fixed 2X or 4X. Nikon also seems to have some very good scopes for the money. Until then I will use my old USA/steel Weaver 4x scope and get used to be the old fud I used to make fun of.

That and I want to find a nice butt cuff.

Wm

Update....just check Natchez & they have Weaver fixed 4X38 for $130 on sale right now.
Last edited by wm on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

North Country Gal wrote:If ya' need as scope, ya' need a scope (and with these old eyes, I usually do). No shame in putting a scope on a lever gun if you need it and, after all, it is YOUR lever gun.

Welcome to the fire, Country Gal! I have not seen your posts before.

Yup. That's where I'm at, now. Formerly blessed with much better than 20-20 vision, the magic mid-40's pretty much took care of that. And I've seen more than 25 summers since then. So:

My scoped Marlin 336 30-30 with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7 X 32mm Multi-X Reticle scope that works well. This was purchased a while back, before I realized that the 7x was not really needed for my purposes. But the 2 power allows for some pretty quick acquisition.

Alas, as nice as those nice little Skinner peep sights work on the Marlin 1895 .45-70, it's time for some aid from a good but reasonably priced scope. You can't really work up a super load unless you have consistent tight aim at reasonable distances!

So, research and some good advice from fellow levergunners led me to the next scope purchase for the buffler gun:
Leupold VX-2 Model 110794, retail around $350.00, 2-7x33, Standard Duplex Reticle.

The 7x provides a larger objective than the 1-4x model. Weaver rings will be used to mount it on top of the already tapped receiver. If something breaks, I can return to those great little Skinner sights in a pinch. (Thinking survival, here - aren't we all, these days?)

You might want to look into the VX-1 or VX-2 before you buy - the special argon filling, lightness of the scope, reported durability, and respectable brightness are all hallmarks of the reputation of this scope. Their no-nonsense lifetime guarantee is the final deal maker. So the extra $80-100 above competitors in its class seems to be worth it. At least to me.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

JohndeFresno wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:If ya' need as scope, ya' need a scope (and with these old eyes, I usually do). No shame in putting a scope on a lever gun if you need it and, after all, it is YOUR lever gun.

Welcome to the fire, Country Gal! I have not seen your posts before.

Thank-you, glad to be, here.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Speaking of scopes, just brought home a minty, steel-tubed old K4 Weaver and it's going on my '73 vintage, 336A. Optics haven't yellowed, at all, and the tube is in near new shape. Paid a whopping $40 for it. That old scope looks right at home on that old rifle.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

North Country Gal wrote:Speaking of scopes, just brought home a minty, steel-tubed old K4 Weaver and it's going on my '73 vintage, 336A. Optics haven't yellowed, at all, and the tube is in near new shape. Paid a whopping $40 for it. That old scope looks right at home on that old rifle.
W-o-w - perfect!
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

When I inherited my grandfather's old model 70, it came with an old Japanese scope branded Meiji. It has the WWII German reticle, just like the major from Enemy at the Gates. 2 bars with a pin coming up from the bottom middle. Would have kept on using it but the magnification dial seized in place. Wonder if the scope was anything special ....had super clear visibility.

However, I think Leupold is the frontrunner in my search for a scope. But do I use 1-4, 2-7, or fixed 4x.....decisions decisions.......

Once again I thank everyone for the input. 8)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pretty much +1 on north country gal except I like old Weaver fixed power scopes. My favorite BLRs have 2.5X with post reticles. (never can get the spell checker to agree with me on this one) When I get to wander around gun shows I look for them especially hard and try to snag any that are $40 or less. I may have to run them through the shop at another $40 but they are double tough even though a bit heavy.

I really like the Redfield Jr. mounts too as they are made of steel, not aluminum. I know, more weight here too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Your spelling of reticle is the one we used all 5 years I worked at Weaver.
I would say it is correct.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a Nikon 4x 32mm on a 243, and it's a great hunting scope.
I believe WWII sniper scopes for both the Geramns and the Russians
were 4x initialy - on Mausers and Mosins respectively.

Personally, I can't hold anything steady enough above about 6x offhand, so
9x would be useless for me without a really good sitting or prone position.
Or a rest, of course. (Where's a really good rest in the field when ya need
one?!)

My RWS 48 air rifle has a really nice Bushnell multi-power with AO (Trophy?).
It's been on 6x since I installed it years ago..........

-Stretch
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For looks plus added function go with the older 2.5 and 3x El Paso Weavers (straight tube, no objective bell).

For even more added function you'll have to sacrifice the looks a bit and go with a 1.5-4x or 2-7x from any of the reputable manufacturers. Really liking my Redfield Revolution 2-7x. Very light, good sight picture and optics. Consistent adjustments too boot.

As stated, dump the see-thru mounts. There is no time, including fast and close shooting, a proper scope won't be better than iron sights. Scopes are also much more durable than opponents give them credit for and IMO if your scope takes a hit bad enough to lose POA than your irons can't be trusted either.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Like most of us I have rifles with open, peep and scopes. I bought my 94 winchester new in about 1956. I had a williams foolproof and a pad put on for LOP. Once I sighted it in I havent had to change it yet! Granted, with other rifles I hadnt shot that rifle very little in a couple decades. Last year I sighted it in off the bench, still accurate and spot on! I never would put a scope on a 30-30 lever!
I long ago took out the small peep hole out of my williams sight. It looks like you can see the world through the basic sight without it. Yet it is far more accurate than the factory open buckhorn orginal. My last buck that I shot with it many years ago was about 220 yards up hill in the sierras in a wet snow storm! I also belive it was my longest shot, and I have a armfull of 308s, 30-06s, 7x57, and a 300 H&H., all with scopes! Ironic isnt it?

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mescalero - !

Tell us a little about the old standard, the Weaver K4. I am almost 100% set to buy a VX-2; but further research points pretty strongly to this much less expensive fixed 4x scope that allegedly stands up to pretty heavy recoil. I like that idea for the .45-70. And I'm not averse to saving cash. I see several on sale, new, for around $150.

I heard that the quality was great, then the Chinese dudes took it over and ruined it, then we took it back here in the good ol' U.S.A. and the quality returned.

My particular objective: A reasonable price, strong enough magnification for sighting in at 100 yards, reasonably bright for early day and afternoon application, used for (maybe some day) b'ars and definitely for oinkers at no more than 150 yards. (Then, the .270 takes over with a pretty powerful scope).

What IS most attractive about the K4 is the fact that it would seem that it wouldn't fall out of adjustment as readily because it is just one magnification.

What do you say? $150 means I don't have to wait to scope my big boomer.

John
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I replied to John off forum, I do not need to be flamed for my opinion.
I gave him my best advice.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mescalero wrote:I replied to John off forum, I do not need to be flamed for my opinion.
I gave him my best advice.
Thank you, levergun friend.

John
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I mounted a Leupold VXII 2.5x28 scout scope on my Marlin 45-70 with the quick release mounts. Its small and sits low. I've used it to take three elk now. On an XS rail it comes off in a couple seconds and holds its zero when put back on. I was worried about only 2.5 x magnification but its perfect for elk and easy to hit a 18" gong at 300 yards. The attached link,(if it works), shows a closeup picture of it about halfway down page 2. Good luck on whatever you decide.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30533
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Weaver now makes a steel tube fixed scope ($$$$) I think it's 4x. They discontinued the 2.5x.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Think i settled on a fixed 4x. Seems like a good fit for a rifle whose average shot will be from 50 to 120 yards. Sure gonna be fun to plink at some 200 yard targets just to see what it is capable of. Thanks for the advice everyone. I hope the see-thru rings work, but at least now I am prepared for their possible failure.

Cheers to all
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Rings are obviously important. If the see-thru's don't do it for you, I'll toss my recommendation at Burris Signature Zee Rings. Expensive, but they utilize a plastic insert which provides 2 major benefits:
1) the insert acts like a gimbal bearing to prevent tweaking/smashing the scope tube.
2) the inserts come in different thicknesses so you can move POA without actually turning the reticle adjusters. The benefit of this is keeping the optical path down the centerline of the scope body.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html
http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_b ... _rings.php
http://www.snipercentral.com/burrismounts.htm

Cheers,

Carl
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I have a older Weaver 1.5 to 4.5 variable on my Marlin Guide gun in 45/70 and it is a perfect smaller size for a lever gun and it works great. I do not like large scopes on lever guns but the compact size works great.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

casastahle,
is that a Micro Trac scope?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescal, opining on just about any subject causes some people to hit the afterburner switch without thinking. Very few people recognize personal experience as evidence to form a opinion but they are quick to believe a hiredgun from a manufacture, a gunwriter or even the military complex system. When I form a opinion based on personal experience thats the bottom line if someone cant grasp that, its ok they can go have their own experience. danny
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perfect Mike! :D :D :D

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine as you will note Mike is older school on the scope. You are the WINNER! :D can't match you on the light and handy!!! :D Very clever on the line - that is hot in the living room - give you any ideas for a shoot? :)