UP-DATE: pulled the trigger on a HENRY H001 - .22cal. -bang!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

UP-DATE: pulled the trigger on a HENRY H001 - .22cal. -bang!

Post by 1894c »

i just pulled the trigger on a new HENRY H001 in .22cal. been looking at them for a looong time, they seem to be the levergun equivalent of a Ruger 10/22, modular, aluminum receiver, function, practical, good price ($319.00) and for me a great Jeep gun. I own a Browning BL-22 and was looking to buy a beat-up BL-22 that needed some work (surface rust, scratches, and stock issues), but they wanted $395.00--I don't have the time for another project and didn't like the price for the condition--so I bought the Henry.

will take it shooting tomorrow (day off) and report back...YES i've taken "the-floor-shot-of a-new-levergun" to the next level, seen lots of slippers, sneakers, cowboy boots, and other assorted foot-wear on this forum so I thought we might be ready for the next logical step in our societal decline... :)

UP-DATE: (03.22.13) went plinking today at the gravel pit with three other guys. we set up a ton of clay pigeons @ 70 yards (we measured it), the bullet of choice was Remington Golden 550 Bulk Pak--why--because we're rationing what .22 stock i have left, and i really wanted to see how the Henry would shoot this stuff. we all took turns and preceded to shoot the Henry H0001, all of us were doing well in hitting the clays. my friends commented on the smoothness of the action, the fit and finish, the iron sights--in the end we all agreed that this is a good choice. i took my Browning BL-22 along for comparison and two of my friends liked the Henry better (I could hit with the Henry as well as I do with the BL-22). we shot the whole 550 Remington Bulk Pak and left nothing but clay pigeon pieces. Down the road i'll take the Henry to a range and sight it in with different ammo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: pulled the trigger on a HENRY H001 in .22cal. ...bang!

Post by 86er »

Nice rifle. Nothing not to like about it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mine has a steel receiver, under the ZAMAK receiver cover......................

I've been shootin' it for 5 years now, w/o a stutter.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pete44ru wrote:.
Mine has a steel receiver, under the ZAMAK receiver cover......................
I've been shootin' it for 5 years now, w/o a stutter..
that's good to know...don't know much about Henry except what I've read here...thanks for the info... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30wcf wrote:i just pulled the trigger on a new HENRY H001 in .22cal. been looking at them for a looong time, they seem to be the levergun equivalent of a Ruger 10/22, modular, aluminum receiver, function, practical, good price ($319.00) and for me a great Jeep gun.
I'd say the "levergun equivalent of a Ruger 10/22" is a Ruger 96/22, actually...

They're "modular, aluminum receiver, functional, and practical, and could be found at a good price" - good "Jeep guns" because they are NOT particularly 'pretty' and you won't mind if you scratch and ding one up a bit.

Over the past 10 years I've managed to get hold of (or make, since the barrels change so easily) a Ruger 96 in 22 LR, 22 WMR, and 17 HMR, as well as putting an 'integrally-suppressed' "10/22 barrel" on one for a VERY quiet 22 LR levergun.

HOWEVER, I still want to get me a 'Henry' - because they are so SLICK, and so 'traditional' in feel for a levergun, if not looks...

Ya done good...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I coon-fingered one a couple weeks ago....If I didn't already have a 39A, and a 9422, I'd jump on one of those in a heart beat...maybe quicker....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You got a fine little .22 carbine, very slick and quick handling. My grandson bought one a few years ago and we both enjoy it. Have fun with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, like Blaine if I didn't have my 9422 I would buy a Henry tomorrow... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

when I put a peep sight on my daughter's H001, 4 of 6 initial sighting pairs were connected shots.

if you really, really, really don't like the die-cast and/or plastic bands on the H001, Master Gun Parts sells machined steel replacements
http://www.shopping.mastergunparts.com/ ... duct_id=78
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Looks like you need to borrow a pair of bedroom slippers from YK! :D

And the Henry was a good choice. Love mine.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I know you didn't like the outcome of the Williams FT-GR, but it works perfectly with the stock front sight.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent - never shot one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

AJMD429 wrote:...as well as putting an 'integrally-suppressed' "10/22 barrel" on one for a VERY quiet 22 LR levergun...
Who made the integral barrel that you put on your 96/22? That is a setup I'd love to build!
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They sure are fun to use with Aquilla Colibri rounds in the back yard to get rid of nuisance sparrows.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I loved my little model H001, used to walk the woods and take it plinking with my nephew Kaimana when I lived on Maui. He liked it so much that I let him have it. I had just gotten my Taurus 62LAR at the time so still had a 22 levergun to plink with but boy was that Henry smooth and accurate. Gotta get me another but most likely a Goldenboy in 22 mag... someday when I have money again. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hi-Viz make a metal front sight/barrel band with 5 colored inserts (red,white,black,green,yellow). Henry sells it on their website and it is available other places. I put one on my H001 and it is great. I have also used the Tru-Glo replacement Win rear sight for dovetail and ordered the Ghost Ring aperature from their "muzzleloader sight". Install the ghost ring instead of the blade on the win base and you have a large ghost ring with two green dots at 3 and 9 O'Clock on the barrel just 2.5" rearward of the dovetail groove. Works great.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Re: UP-DATE: pulled the trigger on a HENRY H001 - .22cal. -b

Post by retmech »

Bought one of the 16" carbines a couple years ago and put the Model 96 peep sight mod as per Pete44ru and couldn't be happier. Just about the best $230 I've spent!