rossi m92 update and sight question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

rossi m92 update and sight question

Post by silverback57 »

i couldn't be happier with my m92 20 in barrel. very compact and light weapon. finished steve's mods. funny my extractor and loading gate looked liked his after he did the mods so i left them alone and just did the other stuff. great video made things easier. i would suggest that you pull up the parts diagram when putting back together to double check the screws. still you have to be a little patient. Very nice results. empty case practically fall at you feet and action smooth trigger light. now i just need to decide on sights. i would like to get lyman globe front. i was thinking about the skinner type rear but would like to be able to switch quickly from 100 to 200 yard settings quickly.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: rossi m92 update and sight question

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Had mine d+t'ed for a side mounted Lyman FP peep meant for a Winchester M94. My front actually worked fine with it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

3leg, I understand those Lyman apertures are extremely restricted in their adjustments. Is that true & if so, why use them instead of a Williams FP? Just curious, jd45
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

jd45 wrote:3leg, I understand those Lyman apertures are extremely restricted in their adjustments. Is that true & if so, why use them instead of a Williams FP? Just curious, jd45
Meant Williams FP, they have the click adjustments. The 5d's have locking screws. FP you can change sights quick and easy if you use several loads in your rifle. The 5D I use for rifles that shoot 1 load only in them or until I use the 2-300 rounds of ammo I have loaded for them.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jd45 wrote:3leg, I understand those Lyman apertures are extremely restricted in their adjustments. Is that true & if so, why use them instead of a Williams FP? Just curious, jd45
I have both and elevation adjustment is comparable. The Lyman is faster to adjust. The FP might have a bit more windage, but I never adjust windage for distances a peep is used for.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

silverback57 wrote:
i just need to decide on sights. i was thinking about the skinner type rear but would like to be able to switch quickly from 100 to 200 yard settings quickly.
FWIW, the Lyman receiver peep sight has a sliding plate on the side with elevation gradiants marked on it.
The Lyman sight further has an auxilliary limiting screw running vertically through the horizontal aperture bar, which is adjustable & limits on the top of the receiver siderail.
The sight also has a QD button on the base which allows fast movement or removal of the sight staff.

Ergo, the rifle can be zeroed @ 100yds with the Lyman and the limiting screw turned down until it touches the receiver, establishing the lowest the sight can be lowered manually.
Then, the sight can be rezeroed @ 200yds, and the side gradient plate set at "0" (Two zero lines align).

In practical use:
Push the QD button to depress the sight bar all the way down to the limit, for a 100yd zero.
Push the QD button to manually raise the sight bar until the side plate zeroes align, for a 200yd zero.

retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I would suggest the Williams FP with a target knob for the vertical adjustment. If we're talking a .357 here there are big vertical differences between .38 spl loads and .357 loads even at 50 yds. I shoot mine out to 200 yds with both loads and it's very easy to move the sight to accommodate the load being used.