What commercial .357 ammo do you recommend for hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

What commercial .357 ammo do you recommend for hunting?

Post by mod71alaska »

I have a Browning 92 .357 Rem Mag, which is one of my favorite modern lever rifles. What do you like to hunt with .357 and what commercial ammo do you recommend for the .357 hunting you do?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What commercial .357 ammo do you recommend for hunting?

Post by El Chivo »

I would get one with the Barnes 140 grain XPB bullet. I think that's Cor-bon ammo. I do make my own, but with that bullet. A little extra velocity, very accurate, and the best penetrator out there. I did take a small pig with it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

All I currently use in my Marlin is the AE 158gr JSP.

I've hunted Whitetail deer and feral hogs with it. Most were through and through inside 100yds. Broadside vitals shots on deer, neck shots on hogs.

No lost critters.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last factory .357 mag stuff I bought was Remington 158 gr. SP. I wouldn't want to go any lighter than that. Heavier would be better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

When I hunted exclusively with a handgun for a few years I used Federal Vital Shok 180 SAFE and Fusion 158. We're sufficient on deer, other small sized "big game". I have not used factory 357 ammo in a rifle.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There is a 180 grain Sierra factory load with a really wide meplat flat point that I think would be a dandy whitetail round, but all I've shot with it was paper and a few feral cats/dogs over the years. I would use it for deer, but I have a 44 Mag levergun (or two) set up for that and do prefer it due to the bit of extra 'thump' factor.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Unless you are discounting the Buffalo Bore or Grizzley Cartridge offerings...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Didnt someone post here a few years ago that MD had a energy minimum for deer hunting that made 357 more difficult?

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=100

This offering from Buffalo Bore seems ideal. 1800 fps, 180 grain projectile. Seems like a good match.

I have always heard you should use 180s for hunting, but I never can find a 180 projectile to load. What is the right 180 grain projectile for 357? Is it that Barnes XPB up there?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It also depends on what you are hunting. A 180 on a cottontail might be a bit of overkill.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here is bearthooth's 185gr:

It exits my trapper at 1724 fps. Haven't made meat with it but have confidence that it can do the job. Marshall's alloy is very tough and reliable.

Grizz
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Victor, I used Federal 158gr JSP's in my .357 Rossi M92 successfully, for the 3 years I had it, on Maine Whitetails.
One of my hunting partners used the rifle with success too, after I tagged out & went shotgunning - so much that he ended up talking me out of it

I didn't mess around with any other load, since that one did the job.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've only used 180gr handloads and handguns for .357 deer but IME just about any 158 on up of decent design (no RNs or FMJs) will do for whitetail in your carbine. You will gain some margin for error with the true powerhouse and designer loads but if you hit in the boiler room not a deer in the world will get away with good 'ol fashioned, off the shelf stuff. Just avoid the light weigh SD oriented ammo and you should be fine.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I've only used 180gr handloads and handguns for .357 deer but IME just about any 158 on up of decent design (no RNs or FMJs) will do for whitetail in your carbine. You will gain some margin for error with the true powerhouse and designer loads but if you hit in the boiler room not a deer in the world will get away with good 'ol fashioned, off the shelf stuff. Just avoid the light weigh SD oriented ammo and you should be fine.
Right on the money! I've shot over 50 whitetails with the 357 and I've used 158 and 180 grain bullets with success. I ended up using 158 most of the time since this round loses energy fast past 75 yards and the 180s will no longer expand to any useful amount. In fact, the 158s begin to perform poorly for expansion past this distance.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've had excellent results with Winchester 145gr Silvertips on deer, but any good 158gr JSP would probably do just as good and be cheaper. And the Silvertips have gotten very difficult to find locally.

That being said, I've been loading my own for years now and haven't really kept up with what's going on with factory ammo.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

That 75 yard range is good info to know for actual hunting with a .357. I wondered about that.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Double Tap ammo makes some HC & jacketed that are more than suitable for hunting and less $ than BB. I load my own 180's HC, cast performance or beartooth bullets. danny
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... Path=21_27
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

That Barnes XPB is the same length as a 180, it stabilizes like a 180. Powder room left in the case is similar to a 180 - I use 180 load data. They act like 180's without the bullet drop. When considering a Barnes bullet, weight isn't so important, thinking heavy is old school. A forum member did penetration tests with several bullets and the Barnes XPB 140 out-penetrated the 180's in lead.

The petals are designed to open up at handgun velocities, as low as 900 fps. At short range they may fold straight back like a banana peel or come off, leaving you with a 30 caliber solid. But between 100-200 yards they should open nicely.

If you think you might have a longer shot, these might help. For shorter shots anything will work.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I would expect the sectional density of an all-copper bullet to be pretty good...

FWIW, when I'm not shooting 180gr hardcast I keep Federal Premium 180gr SJHP in my .357s.

The Barnes 140s are fine out of a rifle, but for whatever reason I don't care to shoot anything under 158 out of my SP101 and really don't like to shoot those.

For my recoil preference, I prefer 180s in my snubbys (same with the 40S&W)

But out of a rifle, IMO, Accuracy First, Weight Second, Velocity third...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

180gr Federal will do on deer. Have shot many with it, great performance, limited distance is obvious, but you know that if using the 357

I use my 32 special now, or the 338 Marlin, but I would not be afraid to try the buffalo bore 180's
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

mod71alaska wrote:
what commercial ammo do you recommend for the .357 hunting you do?

Interesting.......................... of the responses so far, to Victor's question (if I counted my toes right):

Recommended commercial loads: 6

Handloads: 9

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was thinking about this...

I can whole heartedly recommend commercial ammo loaded to the specs I stated. I think Buffalo Bore comes closest.

there, I fixed it....... :lol:
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

[quote="Grizz"]here is bearthooth's 185gr:

It exits my trapper at 1724 fps. Haven't made meat with it but have confidence that it can do the job. Marshall's alloy is very tough and reliable.

I have a good supply of those things loaded up over both 2400 and unique. The coyotes never knew what hit them. I have taken one small black bear for sausage fixings with two shots out of my S&W Highway Patrolman.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Pete44ru wrote:
mod71alaska wrote:
what commercial ammo do you recommend for the .357 hunting you do?

Interesting.......................... of the responses so far, to Victor's question (if I counted my toes right):

Recommended commercial loads: 6

Handloads: 9
Your right, When I have to go commercial, I use Federal Premium Vital-Shok 180 gr. cast core.